Engine Access on A-Class Motorhomes.

Flyer

Hello, Can anyone tell me please, what engine maintenance operations are possible with engine in situ on Hymer- type motorhomes? I have an FFB at the moment, & the original front radiator-frame cannot be removed, making cylinder-head, & even radiator removal very difficult. I want to get something more modern, but am wondering if ANY 'A-Class' types allow 'four-bolt' front section removal as in standard Peugeot / Fiat vans. Working 'through a letterbox' drives me mad!

Thanks in advance.

That's the ever taxing "how long is a piece of string" question I'm afraid. Some are almost workable while others are totally ridiculous. 2007 Hymer on Merc Sprinter with V6 engine is 40 minutes with row bar just to replace the air filter. Some A class vanshave a relatively easily removed dash top extension to gain access but then of course you'll be in the cab in your overalls :-S .

The only advice I can give is to look carefully at engine access on any potential purchase, even if you don't intend to do your own maintenance as some garages may charge extra when access is difficult/non existant.

D.

Guest pelmetman
You have opened a can of worms with this one:D..........I have often wondered whether they are a bad case of design over function.......................ie..... look nice but are only practical if you have deep pockets;-)

I agree, owner maintenance on some A- Class Motorhomes is very difficult. With our Hymer you even have to remove bits to gain acces to the battery . To replace a headlamp bulb, you have to remove the front wheel, and wheel arch trim to gain to the lamp, makes a joke of the legal requirement to carry spare bulbs. Guest Trucks replaced our cam belt , how they accessed it beats me, I looked at it and thought no way. I normally do my own vehicle service and maintenance but I think with some A-Class vans you have to give in and leave it to the professionals

Brian B.

we had a pilote 2.5 turbo, cam belt change easy,general service easy,more intensive engine repairs (ie.head gasket etc.) fairly dificult but not impossible.most modern motorhome engines are not possible to repair,but ok to maintain,main dealer only.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm about to change the camshaft on my Tabbert FFB, & its a pig of a job. Apparently it "can't be done with engine in situ", but since I went to the trouble of removing the head, I bit the bullet. I was going to change the cambelt anyway, so removing the injection pump, 'bearing shield', & pulleys came next. I'm going to cut a hole in the inner wing just behind the engine mounting & get the camshaft out there. It's 'tipped' 2 exhaust valves, & smashed the pushrods & followers on No.3 This happened when it 'rev ved up' by itself after I'd left it ticking over for a bit!

All this due to worn Turbo-seals. This is my first Turbo vehicle, but I'll sure know what to watch for in the next one! :D

Archived