Here is a good question?

nightrider

Right ok? in view of the potential banning of smoking in ones car, what else can you think of that has been banned from your childhood to the present day, I will start the ball rolling by saying, no more conker playing and no more slides on the ice in the school yard, can you add anything else? forgot to mention the called for banning of banal posts on this group by the groups intelligentsia.

As an ex-smoker I hate smoking but this is stupid if they are going to try and make it illegal. Who is going to police it? The police can't even stop people using their mobiles, as every one knows, so very few will get caught. Besides, if they are concerned about our health because of the fag smoke in a confined space what about the fumes taken in by the cars air conditioning from the exhaust of cars in front?

Regarding mobiles I saw a white van man going around a roundabout yesterday holding a mobile in the same hand he was steering with. He was holding up a map with the other 8-)

I have never been a smoker and support the ban on smoking in the workplace and public premises.

Snogging girls with a mouth smelling like an ash tray put me off cigarettes for life.

However I would like to see the evidence supporting the claim that one cigarette in a car gives a smoke concentration comparable with a pub bar pre the ban. Virtually every vehicle has a continious airflow via the heater once in motion or when the heater fan is in operation so the air is rapidly changed. A smokers car still stinks but surely thats not in the same league as fresh smoke.

Driving at over 70 mph. Not that most of my cars in the 1960s could anyway. A90 Westminster excepted.

Banning bald tyres took a lot of fun out of driving, 15 mph power slides and a twitchy back end when braking. Taught you where the limits were. As a result ten years later I did a better time than the instructor on the police skid pan.

One ban I would like to see is that at least one piece of legislation must be repealed before another is introduced.

Have they outlawed snowballs YET??

If we have a bad winter , they may consider it!! (something for the politicians to haggle over, to keep them busy.)

Don't think the French will let the no smoking in cars go through the EU. I've been in restaurants in France and had smoke wafting in my face quiet recently , and no one seemed to bother.

Maybe cigarettes should be banned from being made?

The more smoking is discouraged the more our taxes will go up, as less revenue for the tax man

i think every thing has been banned since I went to school, back in the 1940's!!!

maryowlgirl - 2011-11-18 6:48 AM

I have never smoked and never wanted to but I don't think its right to stop pwople doing what they want in their own property thats wrong.

Me. I like a drink but I bet that will be the next thing we cannot do but if they think I will stop having a Brandy - they are wrong lol[/QU

Hear Hear!!

Cheers!!

PJay - 2011-11-18 8:51 AM

maryowlgirl - 2011-11-18 6:48 AM

I have never smoked and never wanted to but I don't think its right to stop pwople doing what they want in their own property thats wrong.

Me. I like a drink but I bet that will be the next thing we cannot do but if they think I will stop having a Brandy - they are wrong lol[/QU

Hear Hear!!

Cheers!!

It's very difficult to argue with the above but consider this.

Did you ever envisage a situation whereby people have to leave pubs, workplaces etc for a smoke?

Cast your mind back to whenever it was, the '60's 70's 80's or 90's, imagine yourself in a heaving ballroom, nightclub, dingy bar whatever and tell yourself, "one day this will all be smoke free"

You can't can you?

So is the banning, (regardless of how difficult the law would be to implement), of smoking in cars so unthinkable?

Nope.

Martyn

Something I would welcome being banned is chewing gum. The streets/pavements in towns throughout the country are a mess with the filthy stuff. It also costs those councils who try to clear it up, which means the local rate payers, thousands of £s in machinery and manpower in trying to clear it up.

While I'm on my soapbox ban aerosol spray paint, another blight on our streets, buildings and infrastructure to match the rubbish from takeaways etc. It makes me ashamed to be British >:-) Along with the criminals that flood here from abroad we deserve the name of the dustbin of Europe.

Archived