A handy app

Colin Leake

We have just loaded a clinometer as free app to our iPad. Not had a chance to use it in earnest yet but it has a floating bubble indicating the level of the motorhome and in addition give the out of true in all directions in degrees. We have stepped Melenco levelling blocks and the theory is that knowing the number of degrees we are out of level will tell us what step we need to use to give us a reasonable level first time.

Has anyone else experience of using this type of app?

I have the old fashioned type of spirit level bubble - the most difficult part was finding a horizontal place to mount it. It was easy in our camper - but I've yet to find a level surface close enough to the driver's seat to mount it in the mobile homes we have been looking at .... this would cause a similar problem to app users as well

Guest Tracker

I just look over my shoulder and if the floor looks level enough then it is level enough and if it ain't we turn the van untill it is level enough - or go park somewhere else!

In extremes I have even been known fo faff around with blocks of wood under t'wheels to stop meself falling out of bed - but I really have to want to stop there to do that!

Simples.

Colin Leake - 2011-11-18 7:13 PM

...We have stepped Melenco levelling blocks and the theory is that knowing the number of degrees we are out of level will tell us what step we need to use to give us a reasonable level first time...

The trick will be to estimate which step of your Milenco levellers you'll need to use, but also avoid ending up with your motorhome's tyres perched on the sharpish 'edge' of the step.

Frankly, with this design of step, as long as you intend to put each wheel in the same step on both levellers, you might as well drive up all 3 ("Triple") or 4 ("Quattro") steps and, if this proves to be overkill, let the motorhome roll back down the levellers step-by-step untill it's as level as possible without a step's edge digging into the tyres.

Colin Leake - 2011-11-18 8:13 PM

Has anyone else experience of using this type of app?

Got one on my Android phone, very useful.

Best app though is 'Satellite Finder'. You just enter the satellite you want to find, e.g. Astra 2 and it will tell you where to point your dish and the correct elevation, for your precise location.

Can't see the point, I stand in the van if it feels level it is level if it don't I get the ramps out (if I can be bothered).

Years ago when I first started caravanning I used to fluff about with spirit levels, soon realised using my own senses was quicker & just as good.

"Can't see the point, I stand in the van if it feels level it is level if it don't I get the ramps out (if I can be bothered). "

Ditto.

Life's too short.

After the first bottle of wine we never notice if the van is level or not.............

Guest 1footinthegrave
BGD - 2011-11-19 12:43 PM

"Can't see the point, I stand in the van if it feels level it is level if it don't I get the ramps out (if I can be bothered). "

Ditto.

Life's too short.

After the first bottle of wine we never notice if the van is level or not.............

I think it's marvellous technology, a spirit level on a device that only costs upwards of £400. My daughter was telling me it there is even an application to tell you where the nearest Argos store is, I was very impressed :-S

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-19 2:03 PM

I think it's marvellous technology, a spirit level on a device that only costs upwards of £400. My daughter was telling me it there is even an application to tell you where the nearest Argos store is, I was very impressed :-S

Don't buy an iPhone!!! Get an Orange San Francisco for £89, unlock it for free and put in a GiffGaff sim (£10 per month 250 minutes and unlimited data).

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-19 1:03 PM

BGD - 2011-11-19 12:43 PM

Ditto.

Life's too short.

Some say you can even use them to make phone calls :D

We do need to get our motorhome reasonably level as my wife has a disability that means she has limited use of one arm only so fridge doors etc can be a problem if we are not level. Having said that I do suspect that the app is a bit of a gimmick. Our AutoTrail slopes to the front. Most hardstanding pitches slope slightly to provide drainage. On at least four out of five times I can eye a pitch up and select one that will leave us level without the need for blocks. If we do have to use them I have a small bubble level which I have marked up so that the position of the bubble will tell me what level on the blocks I need first time every time. The levels on the Melenco blocks are so distinctive that I have no trouble driving up the blocks, feeling each level and stopping on the one we need.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2011-11-19 6:25 PM

I have a compass app, which is useful if I'm out and need to know which way is north, etc (when there's no sun or at night!).

I've lost count over the amount of times I've needed to know which way is north day or night, another reason to get one ! :-S :-S

Mel B - 2011-11-19 6:25 PM

I have a compass app, which is useful if I'm out and need to know which way is north, etc (when there's no sun or at night!).

I also have a flashlight app which is useful if I want to be able to see something and don't have a torch with me.

If yours is the same as ours it also gives the location in latitude and longitude. Handy if you break down in the middle of the quatahary desert. Means you can let your roadside recovery firm know where to come and recover you from!

Guest Tracker
Colin Leake - 2011-11-20 3:15 PM

If yours is the same as ours it also gives the location in latitude and longitude. Handy if you break down in the middle of the quatahary desert. Means you can let your roadside recovery firm know where to come and recover you from!

A sat nav also does this - but I suppose you can always check one against the other and give the AA the choice!

Guest Tracker
art338 - 2011-11-20 4:24 PM

Satelite dishes on houses are useful as they all point south so no need for a compass, as for being level, put some water in the sink and if it runs out easily that will do for us.

art

Not quite - it's actually much more like South East I believe!!

It's not difficult to envision situations where a 'compass'' app might prove useful. For example, orienting yourself in a city when you've got a street-map but can't easily work out the direction you are facing, or to decide how best to park your motorhome so that the early-morning sun clears the condensation from the windscreen.

The types of app Mel mentions usually cost hardly anything or are free. I doubt if anyone (in their right mind) would obtain a smart phone just to have compass/flashlight apps but, if you've got the phone for more important porpoises, then you might as well add to it those apps that might be useful or provide entertainment.

Guest 1footinthegrave
malc d - 2011-11-20 5:11 PM

How do all these amazing apps compare with a Swiss Army knife ?

:-|

IMO about he same,they all seem like a good idea at the time, but rarely if indeed ever get used ! !

Mind you a dowsing app might come in handy to find a water tap in a field

I'm bound to say I simply cannot imagine a single time in my life a compass would have helped me in any situation, I also can't imagine anyone seriously suggesting walking round with an IPad to find your way, more likely to get mugged for the Ipad I would have thought, entertaining maybe, but useful mmmmmmm :D

Archived