A handy app

Colin Leake

Guest Tracker
malc d - 2011-11-20 5:36 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-20 5:17 PM

" if you've got the phone for more important porpoises ",

Any porpoise that has it's own phone must indeed be important.

:-D

Must be the seal of approval!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2011-11-20 5:59 PM

malc d - 2011-11-20 5:36 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-20 5:17 PM

" if you've got the phone for more important porpoises ",

Any porpoise that has it's own phone must indeed be important.

Must be the seal of approval!

Now that would entertaining, to see a Porpoise using his Ipad, mind you the compass app I would imagine would save on all that clicking...................

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-20 5:18 PM

malc d - 2011-11-20 5:11 PM

How do all these amazing apps compare with a Swiss Army knife ?

:-|

IMO about he same,they all seem like a good idea at the time, but rarely if indeed ever get used ! !

Mind you a dowsing app might come in handy to find a water tap in a field

I'm bound to say I simply cannot imagine a single time in my life a compass would have helped me in any situation, I also can't imagine anyone seriously suggesting walking round with an IPad to find your way, more likely to get mugged for the Ipad I would have thought, entertaining maybe, but useful mmmmmmm :D

It's not a matter of "walking around with iPad to find your way" - that's an unrealistic scenario. But there's a strong chance people will be waliking around with a phone in their pocket and, if they have a street-map and are having problems orienting, then (if they've got a compass app on their phone) this may be helpful. It's just another 'tool' as far as I'm concerned and plainly Mel finds it useful. Can't see it's all that different from the multitudinous POIs that motorcaravanners are so keen on.

Incidentally, I can dowse for water - in fact most people seem able to. And you probably won't be too surprised to learn that there is already an iPhone "Dowsing Rod" app (though its reviews are poor). No good to me though as I still have a prehistoric Nokia Mk 1 phone that I'm appy enough with.

Guest Tracker
I too can see the use for a compass that is not swayed by being in or near a steel box - but I'm not convinced enough about a glorified spirit level - sorry inclinometer - and my inclination is that I am inclined not to bother!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Its all a bit of fun Derek, just because some think its all a load of b*****ks ( me included ) does not really matter...............

All these apps are great fun we all love playing with them but they all have a serious limitation the battery life of a smart phone is rubbish.

Not much fun 5000 ft up a mountain and the fog descends and your battery is flat (lol)

When we used to go walking used to take a map and old fashion compass, now we take a Satmap (walking mans sat nav) a smartphone a map and a compass - progress!

Swiss Army Knives........Useful..... I'll say so!

1. Blades for opening cardboard boxes of wine.

2. Saw for opening wooden boxes of wine.

3 Crown top remover for opening bottles of beer.

4. Tin opener for opening tins of beer when the ring-pull fails.

5. Corkscrew for opening bottles of wine.

6. Wire cutters for removing stubborn fizzy bottle cork retainers.

7. Tweezers for removing splinters after using 2 above.

8. Tooth pick for removing detritus from teeth after canapes.

And... mine has my name on it so that I will eventually find out who I am........... :D

Travelling Tyke - 2011-11-21 8:26 PM

Swiss Army Knives........Useful..... I'll say so!

1. Blades for opening cardboard boxes of wine.

2. Saw for opening wooden boxes of wine.

3 Crown top remover for opening bottles of beer.

4. Tin opener for opening tins of beer when the ring-pull fails.

5. Corkscrew for opening bottles of wine.

6. Wire cutters for removing stubborn fizzy bottle cork retainers.

7. Tweezers for removing splinters after using 2 above.

8. Tooth pick for removing detritus from teeth after canapes.

And... mine has my name on it so that I will eventually find out who I am........... :D

Now we can understand why the Swiss Army never attacks anyone.

DJP - 2011-11-22 9:13 PM

I have an APP on my iPhone that allows me to make phone calls all over the world. Amazing!

I've got an app on my Android that lets me make phone calls and texts all over the world, for free.

...not forgetting the Sky+ app which lets you set recordings if you're away from home.

cheetahdavie - 2011-11-24 12:07 AM

I have an app that cleans/washes/cooks and describes herself as " a general dogsbody"."It "cost me 7 shillings and sixpence [old money of course] when I took out a license some 51 years ago..its been a good investment..

Time for application of common sense. CDF as we old soldiers say

......I bet the annual maintenance charges are high, though!

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
derek500 - 2011-11-22 9:12 PM

DJP - 2011-11-22 9:13 PM

I have an APP on my iPhone that allows me to make phone calls all over the world. Amazing!

I've got an app on my Android that lets me make phone calls and texts all over the world, for free.

...not forgetting the Sky+ app which lets you set recordings if you're away from home.

I've got an App that alerts you to your house burning down, for example if the Sky + box that was left on standby whilst away to record stuff malfunctions and sets the house ablaze...............

Archived