Venice/Lake Garda

Hawcara

Can't speak for Garda, but in visiting Venice some years ago we used:

http://www.camping-miramare.it/index-gb.htm

which, whilst it is quite a drive round the lagoon, provides an outstanding and scenic approach to Venice using the "vaporetto" direct to San Marco.

There are numerous sites along the lagoon, some of them bigger than you could imagine, but Miramare is the last, is approachable in size, friendly, and is (AFAIK still) the closest to the ferry terminal (a short walk) at Punta Sabbione.

A day ticket on the ferry used to cover you for all ferries and water buses for the day, and they run to late hours.

They had a minimum stay when we were there (3 nights I think), and you need to beware the mozzies round the lagoon.

We have stayed at Miramare at Punta Sabbioni a couple of times and are thinking about going back next year. Since the building of the Venice Barrier it does not have such an attractive outlook across the Lagoon as it once did but it is very convenient for the ferries to St Marks for visiting Venice and the islands.

David

For Venice we use Camping Serenissima at Oriago, on the Brenta canal, about half way between Venice and Padua. Excellent bus service from right outside the site to/from Piazzale Roma at the Venice end of the causeway. Excellent, family run, campsite. GPS: N45.45160 E12.18318

Used Camping Butterfly at Pescheria del Garda, which was by lake, well run, efficient, and quiet. GPS: N45.45160 E12.18318

There is an aire in Riva (Lake Garda top end) to the east of the town behind the Police Station. About 30 places with showers and about 8Euros per night. If you don't like the aire there are a few camp sites on the opposite side of the road and nearer to the lake.

There is an air in Garda in the middle of the town on a car park. It's about 12 Euros per night and just water available. However, for one night its' OK and it's easy to walk into town and waterfront. The campsites here are often crowded but you may be lucky this time of year. The car park owner is married to an Englsih girl and his brother in law lives in Solva, west Wales.

Camping Fusina in Mestre is great to get to Venice. Buy a two day ticket on the water bus and travel as often as you like over a 3 day period. At this time of year the site won't be too crowded and it's a fully serviced.

H

Just beware of the prices in the main tourist parts of Venice.

A few years back someone on our site showed us a receipt for two coffees - about £16( if I remember correctly ).

Said he was going to take it home and frame it.

Prices may have gone up since then !

:-D

Not representative! Never drink coffee in pavement cafés in France or Italy! Silly money.

We've have had a number of good, reasonably priced, meals in Venice, and even risked an ice cream and coffee in a café/restaurant in the Dorsoduro, right on (part over!) the Giudecca canal - and even that wasn't that expensive. Oh, but what a location! :-)

Fair prices do exist, and for good food, but you do have to walk away from the more popular bits, and use a restaurant guide.

Thank you all for your very detailed information. I will now surf all the sites.

We intend to visit next September, going via Switzerland. We always plan a bit more to see in case the weather is dodgy in one area, then we can move on~hence this small part of Italy. :-D

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?daddr=V.+Montello,+6,+30013+Cavallino+Treporti+VE,+Italy&hl=en&ll=45.443934,12.448969&spn=0.033301,0.077162&cid=0,0,389033542425443640&fb=1&hq=Camping+Marina+Di+Venezia&hnear=Camping+Marina+Di+Venezia&gl=uk&geocode=0,45.443700,12.449300&sqi=2&t=m&z=14&vpsrc=6

We used this Camp site in Venice, it is about ten minute walk to the Ferry to Venice and there were courtesy buses too, I would have to say that it is best Camp site I have ever stayed on, a super Marbled mall to wander with cafes shops and fountains all in the site, a wood land walk to it's private beach, super pools for a swim and if I remember right it was only 15 Euros a night in September,i had to camp in a seperate area from my friend who we were with as they had a dog and as I did no, we had to use the no dog area , their rules apparently, only a camp-site road separated us though . we were here to catch a Ferry to Greece which we did, that was fantastic too,, We stayed on an Aire at Lake Garda on the way through after using the Mont Blanc Tunnel, not cheap [ the tunnel ] but a great experience, we also had three nights in Milan on a central campsite, all found pre having a Sat Nav, great fun driving round and round Milan,

vindiboy - 2011-11-25 5:04 PM

Hi no I did not know that, how is that done? my page on OAOL has suddenly gone very wide and I have to use the lower scale slider to read it all as it's gone off the page, Computer Numpty me is it something I have done, it only happens on this forum ?

Yup, it's the length of the link you posted that has caused the page format (you aren't the only one :-S )

If you're using Google maps, click on the "Short URL" option after you've clicked the link, copy the resulting short URL, and it will resolve the issue.

For long URLs from other sources you can use Tinyurl.com to reduce the size.

JudgeMental - 2011-11-25 5:42 PM

Yup, it's the length of the link you posted that has caused the page format (you aren't the only one )

If you're using Google maps, click on the "Short URL" option after you've clicked the link, copy the resulting short URL, and it will resolve the issue.

For long URLs from other sources you can use Tinyurl.com to reduce the size.

-----

Peut-être demain

There you go...Simples :-D

http://tinyurl.com/

Magic, many thanks SIMPLES describes me well, ask others LOL.

Well I now have a TINY URL icon on my Tool Bar, painful or what, easy when you know how LOL if I live long enough I may crack this Computer mumbo jumbo thanks again for your help, I had some good news from the Bank today, they said I have enough money left to last me till I die, but I have to die to morrow, Oh Well. Hee Hee

Archived