Daytime Running Lights: 2011 Fiat Ducato

Frank McAuley

Guest 1footinthegrave
Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-21 5:32 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-11-21 10:47 AM

Not another rant on my part as you put it merely a statement of facts collated by world wide studies into DRLs...

Sounded remarkably like a "rant" to me (though I admit that "fecking" is not a word I'm acquainted with, so I may have missed something that was critical to your argument). As you've now mentioned "world wide studies into DRLs" to justify it, now's your chance to identify the studies that provide the "facts".

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4681

http://www.lightmare.org/Motorcyclists.htm

http://www.lightsout.org/

A few more having a rant about it above if you care to read the points raised. But it's a moot point and perhaps it would be safer to go back to 4mph speed limits and a bloke walking in front with a red flag. Can't be arsed to dig out any more facts, life's too short and because the pro DRL lobby which I assume includes you, have obviously made up their mind, anyone else opposing them on very good grounds is also having a rant I presume.

Perhaps I'm biased as in nearly 50 years of driving including HGV's and PSV's I have never been involved in an accident, or run anyone over, how on earth did I manage that without DRL's.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
tonyishuk - 2011-11-21 7:11 PM

Perhaps I'm biased as in nearly 50 years of driving including HGV's and PSV's I have never been involved in an accident, or run anyone over, how on earth did I manage that without DRL's.

Hopefully for exactly the same reason, you wear a seat belt :D

Rgds

Sorry I'm missing the point your trying to make...................but whatever

passionwagon - 2011-11-21 7:34 PM

8-) Hella have a kit for DLR on X250 Ducato/Boxer/Relay. Very important to wire correctly as CANBUS system has to be recognised. ;-)

The Hella kit for X250 vehicles is part of the "LEDdayline" series described on

http://www.hella.com/hella-uk-en/717.html

The following .pdf file covers the X250-related product

http://www.tagfahrlicht.com/IT/picture/downloads/Einbaustory/EinbaustoryLEDayLine_Fiat_Ducato.pdf

I'd guess (based on a German asking-price of €249) that the UK asking-price for the X250 kit would be around £250.

Just emailed Ledcom and found out they are voltage sensing so would need an additional relay switched by the ignition, I've emailed them back and pointed out this & why, as they make a point of advertising them for Motorhomes.

Note: If you have a solar panel voltage sensing ones would be on nearly all the time when the suns out & on a hook up 24/7, assuming your van is set up to charge the engine battery.

I think all the easy-install versions are voltage sensing and also have an 'off trigger' wire that is linked to the lights, this is certainly true of the Ring Aurora we sell ourselves. It's hard to imagine they'd want to do anything different with tens of millions of cars versus about 150,000 motohomes.

It isn't a big deal though - you just route the live feed to an ignition circuit rather than direct to the battery. With a very low current comsumption these things are usually Scotchlocked in so as long as you can identify an ignition circuit wire and a (side)light live wire you're all but done.

Brian Kirby - 2011-11-21 5:50 PMThere seems to me some confusion.DRLs operate at the front of the vehicle only, should operate as soon as the engine is started, and should go off when other lights are in use. Used as intended, in daylight, there should be no question of anyone being dazzled, or blinded, by them.They are intended to enable, primarily pedestrians (including those with impaired vision), to more clearly see approaching vehicles.They can also make the direction of travel of distant vehicles more obvious, which in some visibility conditions can aid overtaking decisions.They can also aid visibility of oncoming vehicles in strong light, for example against low sun.Sidelights, as such, no longer really exist, they are parking lights, or position lights, not for moving vehicles, and in some countries using these on a moving vehicle is now illegal...... Proper DRLs, under these conditions, help drivers to see oncoming vehicles without the glare of dipped headlamps.

Precisely! Nothing annoys me more than people who drive just on sidelights in poor visibility. Most of the time you see the vehicle before you see the sidelights which I prefer to call Parking Lights because that is all that they are good for.

The EU proposed the use of DRLs across Europe and many member states introduced regulations in varying forms. On the strength of this we had DRLs fitted to our Ducato. But several member states objected. The UK was one, arguing that we had spent a lot of time introducing DRLs on Motorbikes to improve their visibility and if all vehicles had DRLs, how would we differentiate fast moving motorbikes from all the other lights. The EU proposal has been withdrawn, but the regulations still exist in some countries. The DRLs on our Ducato are bright, but not overwhelming, and there have been numerous occasions when I have sensed (no proof!) that they have caused an approaching vehicle to slow down on a narrow road.

DRLs.jpg.0e3bf651694448803cbc10cfaf4a3c8c.jpg

neillking - 2011-11-22 11:39 AM

I think all the easy-install versions are voltage sensing and also have an 'off trigger' wire that is linked to the lights, this is certainly true of the Ring Aurora we sell ourselves. It's hard to imagine they'd want to do anything different with tens of millions of cars versus about 150,000 motohomes.

It isn't a big deal though - you just route the live feed to an ignition circuit rather than direct to the battery. With a very low current comsumption these things are usually Scotchlocked in so as long as you can identify an ignition circuit wire and a (side)light live wire you're all but done.

True, trust me to over complicate it KISS

WhiteCheyenneMan - 2011-11-22 12:11 PM

Precisely! Nothing annoys me more than people who drive just on sidelights in poor visibility. Most of the time you see the vehicle before you see the sidelights which I prefer to call Parking Lights because that is all that they are good for

Yes I agree...

Off topic this bit..but what annoys me,is the way vehicle manufactures nowadays seem to bury their indicators in amongst the headlight or tail light cluster...meaning that you can't pick them out clearly... :-S

Sorry...as you were..... :$

Back to the safety aspect , ive been running around the last couple of days in daylight fog / mist etc and a large percentage of drivers were driving as if it was a clear day with no lights on at all and as has been said just parking / lights / sidelights , invisible to most untill they were just yards away , this is simply the reason why we should have DRLs , the sooner the better .

Guest Tracker
WhiteCheyenneMan - 2011-11-22 12:11 PM

The DRLs on our Ducato are bright, but not overwhelming, and there have been numerous occasions when I have sensed (no proof!) that they have caused an approaching vehicle to slow down on a narrow road.

Is it equally possible that unlike a grey or black car a thumping great white Motorhome is less easy to miss - both visually and physically - and that most people tend to give you a wide berth if they see you in time - and seeing you in time has as much to do with everyone not coming round a bend too fast as extra lights?

I support the idea of DRLs in theory but am less convinced that they make that much difference on a white motorhome?

On the other hand I guess we will never know for sure and if just one life is saved it has to be worth it.

Colin Leake - 2011-11-22 5:09 PMGiven the vulnerability of the wide mirrors on Motorhomes I wonder if it would be a. Possible and b. Legal to fit DLRs to the mirrors to make them unmissable to oncoming traffic.

Since both fitting DRLs and adding twin white reflective stripes to my mirrors I've noticed a distinct increase in respect for our width and haven't lost a mirror since that day. Prior to that my regular trips to Fiat for a new offside mirror lost to yet another 4x4 were legendary (I do live and travel in the country including quite modest lanes). 

Guest Tracker
Perhaps I have been very lucky then because in over 35 years of motorhoming I've never 'lost' a mirror to a passing vehicle - although I have had them given a healthy clout from time to time - and muttered the immortal phrase - gee whiz that was flippin close - or words to that effect!

Tracker - 2011-11-22 5:52 PM
Is it equally possible that unlike a grey or black car a thumping great white Motorhome is less easy to miss - both visually and physically - and that most people tend to give you a wide berth if they see you in time - and seeing you in time has as much to do with everyone not coming round a bend too fast as extra lights?I support the idea of DRLs in theory but am less convinced that they make that much difference on a white motorhome?On the other hand I guess we will never know for sure and if just one life is saved it has to be worth it.

Y'know you could have a point there (lol)  And if it's my life that's saved it's well worth it!!

neillking - 2011-11-22 6:04 PM

Colin Leake - 2011-11-22 5:09 PMGiven the vulnerability of the wide mirrors on Motorhomes I wonder if it would be a. Possible and b. Legal to fit DLRs to the mirrors to make them unmissable to oncoming traffic.

Since both fitting DRLs and adding twin white reflective stripes to my mirrors I've noticed a distinct increase in respect for our width and haven't lost a mirror since that day. Prior to that my regular trips to Fiat for a new offside mirror lost to yet another 4x4 were legendary (I do live and travel in the country including quite modest lanes). 

I must say that since fitting White mirror guards and White reflective strips to the mirror arms on coming traffic does seem to be giving me more room. It always amuses me that where I live it is dodgy passing the parents cars outside the school in a car but in a thumping great White motor home it's a synch as on coming traffic has no option but to give way.

If you do get a set they are very stiff and that makes them quite hard to fit. Warm them gently before fitting and use washing up liquid or talc on the rubber edges to act as a lubricant. Also whilst fitting keep checking that they are going on evenly at the top and the bottom. That way when finally in position the edges will line up with the edges of the mirrors perfectly.

If you do get a set they are very stiff and that makes them quite hard to fit. Warm them gently before fitting and use washing up liquid or talc on the rubber edges to act as a lubricant. Also whilst fitting keep checking that they are going on evenly at the top and the bottom. That way when finally in position the edges will line up with the edges of the mirrors perfectly.

Frank McAuley - 2011-11-23 2:00 PMI'm attracted to the HELLA kit but does anybody have an idea as to approx labour charges for fitting please?......

Last July I had an automatic gas changeover (2 bottles), a cable to connect a small battery charging solar panel to the vehicle battery and my DRLs fitted for £177.00 labour if you can work anything out from that ;-)

Archived