Rustproofing MMM Dec 2011 - Any Recommends

mike 202

As I have recently decided to keep my A/S Windsor Coachbuilt on Mk7 Ford Transit, for a few more years, 06/08 reg, I am seriously thinking of getting it rustproofed. MMM Dec 2011 page165 has reviewed four professional installers, but as appropriate for a magazine Not made ant recommendations.

My instinct is to go for Before 'N' After with their column lifts. Has anyone on the forum had their motorhome rustproofed, or know of a friends experience ?

Thanks mike

A wise move. I decided to have mine done as from new - but it took me nearly ten years to get round to it!  By then the front sills were starting to go and I had to get some welding done before the treatment.  I used before-n-after and have slightly mixed feelings about them.  The job was good but the experience was distinctly home spun enthusiast rather than based on the slicker business practices that we're now all used to.  Have another read of their literature and try to see past the enthusiasm.  It may still suit as may the price but worth knowing what you're getting into.

derek pringle - 2011-11-21 1:43 PM

Hi Mike,

I have pm'd you. In the meantime look at their website ' Rustproof ' absolutely great service.

cheers

derek

outbox on messenger seems to be taking ages, any probs.

d.pringle01@blueyonder.co.uk

Derek

Just in case you are unaware of this...

When you PM someone, your message is placed in your Outbox. It will stay in your Outbox until the recipient notices it in his/her Inbox and reads your PM, at which point the message will move to your 'Sent Items' file. If the intended recipient fails to read your PM (due to he/she having been abducted by aliens, having lost all interest in this forum, knowing it will annoy you, etc.) then your message will stay in your Outbox indefinitely unless you delete it. I notice that I have a PM in my Inbox dated 2010-08-09 and, having checked, find that the intended recipient last logged on to this forum in 2010-08-06. Perhaps I'll delete it !!!

As a centuries old metal worker with long spells in the automotive industry including Ford at Halewood & Toyota at Burnaston, I would not be in favour of having any rust proofing done unless the vehicle is new and unused.

Any bare steel that has been exposed to dampness will begin the corrosion process immediately it sniffs a drop of moisture. Painted surfaces are not immune from corrosion either.

Steels vary in their makeup. A chassis and general metalwork is basic material and contains a high proportion of iron and therefore prone to corrosion very quickly, unless already treated.

And don’t forget any hollow components can corrode from the inside!! Parts such as steering arms (linkage components) are made from a higher grade of steel and will contain chromium and may never corrode.

Like many aspects of daily inconvenience ‘rust proofing’ is impossible to evaluate, it is the old story ‘yer pays yer money and …’

art

Hi,

had my 2005 Autocruise done by 'Before N after' last November, as I too intend to keep it for a few years. Got an 'unusual' Honda courtesy car for the day,very nice car ! very pleased with the result, very well 'covered' underneath, some 'overspray' needed cleaning off later,but that was to be expected.

An 'Honest' report on chassis condition before work was started, mine was OK.

I ignored Chris's advice and slept in mine the night after it was 'done' , NOT to be recommended ! even with extractor fan running and windows open it wasn't very nice !

To spray 'Waxoyl' it needs to be mixed with white spirit, and BOY does that stuff smell !!

I can't think why other 'Vendors' of the service don't mention the fact that the van REALLY shouldn't be slept in for at LEAST a week after the treatment ??

Chris is very friendly, (if a bit eccentric ?? must be all that white spirit !! :D ) and I recommend the service that he provides. Obviously i can't speak for the others. Ray

Regarding the 'above', Chris sprays into Chassis and body box sections so all bare metal is covered, 'cause he showed me 'how'.

From my own personal experience I have found that Waxoyl works very well .Over the years I have used it on various vehicles and found it very effective at stopping rust, take our current motorhome as an example. It spent the first few years of its life in the salty atmosphere of Skegness. The rusty underside nearly put me off buying it, but my wife really liked it, so we bought it. I wire brushed off as much rust as possible, then saturated the underside with Waxoyl, it does not seem to have deteriorated at all since then. I would recommend having it wax protected no matter how old it is.

Brian B.

ps it appears that the Waxoyl soaks into the rust, and stops it in its tracks !

art338 - 2011-11-22 3:23 PM

As a centuries old metal worker with long spells in the automotive industry including Ford at Halewood & Toyota at Burnaston, I would not be in favour of having any rust proofing done unless the vehicle is new and unused.

Any bare steel that has been exposed to dampness will begin the corrosion process immediately it sniffs a drop of moisture. Painted surfaces are not immune from corrosion either.

Steels vary in their makeup. A chassis and general metalwork is basic material and contains a high proportion of iron and therefore prone to corrosion very quickly, unless already treated.

And don’t forget any hollow components can corrode from the inside!! Parts such as steering arms (linkage components) are made from a higher grade of steel and will contain chromium and may never corrode.

Like many aspects of daily inconvenience ‘rust proofing’ is impossible to evaluate, it is the old story ‘yer pays yer money and …’

art

So, are you advocating that we just let our motorhome corrode away?. Any wax applied at any time will slow down or stop corrosion. For steel to corrode it needs oxygen and an electrolite. Water will do, especially if it contains salt. Take away one of these components and corrosion will cease. That's what the waxoyl treatment does, by covering the metal with a shield of wax.

Peter,

No I'm not saying don't use any rustproofing method, I'm posting a comment only on metal types. There are many factors covering corrosion such as where the vehicle is used and how often. I'm one of life's fine weather users who does'nt live near the sea and checks the weather pattern before driving.

I have no experience on assessing long term exposure to metal that has been treated with waxol, in theory it sounds perfect, the only long term answer would be a breakers yard and I've not worked in one as yet. I do have lots of experience on alloys exposed to the weather, particularlly on motorcycle repairs.

The nearest example I can provide regarding corrosion is that the metal interior is like a rabbit warren or woodworm once it starts, (often referred to as the 'metal worm')

art

Archived