Winter travel trough France

icebreaker

I'm sure you will gets lots of opinions about possible routes and stopovers - how about the 'volcans' of the Auverne for example? 

On another topic do be prepared for some serious cold on any stopovers made around the A75, the terrain here is very elevated by UK standards and the last time we traversed it in winter - in February - the overnight tempertures were around -8C, you may well need to be prepared for that - especially if your mindset is focussed on sunny Spain!

neillking - 2011-11-22 1:06 PM

I'm sure you will gets lots of opinions about possible routes and stopovers - how about the 'volcans' of the Auverne for example? 

On another topic do be prepared for some serious cold on any stopovers made around the A75, the terrain here is very elevated by UK standards and the last time we traversed it in winter - in February - the overnight tempertures were around -8C, you may well need to be prepared for that - especially if your mindset is focussed on sunny Spain!

February was particularly mild in this area this year, although it was unusually cold in the north of France, and temperatures are more likely to be -15 or even -25 degrees in the mountains.

• 1 month later...

Im doing the same at the moment im watching the forecasts closely 8-)

Spain is always cold and awful winter (or summer) dreadful people rude

There ought to be a route to Portugal on which the spanish are forbidden

It can be VERY cold all the way down past Madrid

Do avoid the coast road and Madrid the rest is just a bore or industrial moon scape until Seville or south

Best route is Portugal Lisboa then Seville /Gibraltar

This year dose seem to be warmer *-) I hope :-D

• 3 weeks later...
plumbersvan - 2012-01-02 10:07 PM

Im doing the same at the moment im watching the forecasts closely 8-)

Spain is always cold and awful winter (or summer) dreadful people rude

There ought to be a route to Portugal on which the spanish are forbidden

It can be VERY cold all the way down past Madrid

Do avoid the coast road and Madrid the rest is just a bore or industrial moon scape until Seville or south

Best route is Portugal Lisboa then Seville /Gibraltar

This year dose seem to be warmer *-) I hope :-D

Perhaps the Spanish feel the same way about you......

Having lived here for 9 yrs now I can say the Spanish are one of the most welcoming people if you are willing to experience the country, lifestyle, and culture.

Winter in Spain can be cold and certainly the northern, and high central regions cold and snow ridden - sadly not all of Spain is warm and sunny all year round. If you have the ability to, then it is possible to get from San Sebastian to the med coast easily in one long days travel. There's a really good road via Zaragoza, which cuts across to just above Valencia, avoiding any issues with travelling around Barcelona and also the tolls road around Castellon.

The coastal route down the Med will then leave you feeling nicely warm - temps up to 20 in the daytime and rarely below freezing during the night if you steer clear of the high areas - like Granada/Baza/Guadix region. (Incidently the road from Lorca (E15) is a very good road for doing just that, if a little boring in scenery, but you have to just drive on thru).

As far as your comment about Madrid and the surrounding region then maybe you've yet to discover the delights of Segovia, Toldeo, Aranjuez and Salamanca just to name a few. Sad you're too blinkered, but then maybe it leaves these nicer bits for the rest of us who appreciate them.

Archived