Truma Securemotion

colin

I'm not sure why they state that, though read on. (I have the Secumotion system fitted to my 'van, and it can be a bit of a pain, particularly with high demand).

Given that it has effectively been superseded by the CS (Crash Sensor) series of kit (which is cheaper and easier to use, and can be retrofitted) I'd be inclined to use that.

(I'm assuming that you want a system that is legal to use - for heating - on the move?)

http://www.truma.com/uk/en/gas-supply/monocontrol-cs.php

(there is also a twin-cylinder, changeover version).

colin - 2011-11-21 8:28 PM

Was looking to change our reg and hose to secure motion, when looking at Truma website it says "cannot be retrofitted" http://www.truma.com/uk/en/gas-supply/secumotion.php

Seems odd they say that!

The English-language version of Truma's website's is a mite 'harsh' regarding its SecuMotion advice. If you look at the same section on German or French versions, you'll find that the advice there will translate into "Unsuitable for retro-fitting".

It's commonly overlooked that the SecuMotion regulator is not a one-size-fits-all product. It is marketed with gas-flow rates of 0.8kg/h, 1.2kg/h or 1.5kg/h and (to provide optimum safety protection) a SecuMotion regulator should be matched to a motorhome's gas demand. So, if you put a 1.5kg/h version on a little motorhome that has, say, just a 2-burner hob, that regulator may not register a gas leak downstream of the regulator. Conversely, if you put a 0.8kg/h version on a large motorhome that has, say, a 4-burner hob, oven and 6kW gas-heater, that regulator probably won't be able to cope with that system's heavy gas demand. To assist leisure-vehicle manufacturers in matching SecuMotion regulator to gas demand Truma offered a computer program called "LPG Flow", but this won't be available to Joe Public.

Because of the 'need to match' requirement, SecuMotion has proven to be something of a dead-end for Truma, as it will be a nuisance to motorhome manufacturers who market a wide range of vehicles and/or offer various gas-related options (eg. a more powerful heater or an oven) and care needs to be taken if retro-fitting is to be contemplated. Hence the "Unsuitable for retro-fitting" warning. (Obviously one "can" retro-fit a SecuMotion regulator, but you need to be aware of the principles behind SecuMotion and the potential pitfalls.)

The recently-introduced “CS” products Robinhood mentions do not have SecuMotion’s gas-demand sensitivity, so should be more attractive to motorhome manufacturers and to people wishing to retrofit. There is a need to orient a CS regulator correctly and (as far as I’m aware) a CS MonoControl will be dearer (by £20-£30?) in the UK than a SecuMotion regulator.

Indeed you seem to be correct about pricing, Derek.

My research some months ago when it was announced had led me to believe that the CS would be slightly cheaper.

The issues to do with flow-rate and Secumotion do, I think, manifest themselves on my 'van.

It is fitted with hob, oven, and I suspect critically, it has a Combi 6E heater as opposed to the standard 4E, and it sometimes appears to "trip" when all are in use. (In reality, this is not much of a problem since, if the oven and hob are in use, I can manage quite nicely in the interim without the heater being on :-) )

Ours is with Secumotion as well, plus an auto-changeover valve. The latter works very well. The only problem I have found with the Secumotion itself, is when firing up the Combi (C4002) after a longish (several weeks) spell of non-use, when the initial gas flow into the boiler feed seems to cause sufficient overall pressure drop to trip it. I have learnt to ease the boiler gas cock open very slowly! Doesn't seem to be a leak, the system will hold pressure with the gas off at the cylinder and all other gas cocks open, for well over a fortnight. It just seems that the boiler gas valve slowly lets by.

Archived