French driving skills

postnote

First of all you will be delighted to read I’m back and I expect there is now some excitement.. I won’t bore you with the reasons why but have also spent sometime in France in the MH.

What amazed me was the relaxed French way of life, why do today when you can do it tomorrow.

Well that is until they get behind the wheel of the cars etc. They then become maniacs, driving so close they are nearly part of your vehicle and will even try and pass on blind bends. No wonder there are so many rear enders over there, oh well we survived.

(lol)

It is because the French drive incorrectly on the wrong side of the road. They get all confused. As a true Brit I always drive on the correct side, namely the left wherever I am, and shout at them 'bl..dy foreigners'. They seem to understand very quickly as they get out of the way soon enough.

Now if Napolean had stuck his other arm inside his coat, they would have got it right at the start.

Dave225 - 2011-11-22 4:47 PM

It is because the French drive incorrectly on the wrong side of the road. They get all confused. As a true Brit I always drive on the correct side, namely the left wherever I am, and shout at them 'bl..dy foreigners'. They seem to understand very quickly as they get out of the way soon enough.

Now if Napolean had stuck his other arm inside his coat, they would have got it right at the start.

He was left handed though so being on the right came naturally to him - like me I am very happy driving on the right but hate the gearshift being that side when I drive French cars!!

Well I believe your attacks on French drivers are grossly inaccurate, I have said this before and will say it again

The French are, from my personal experience, on the whole, much BETTER drivers than we Brits .

When they overtake you on the Motorways they seldom hog the middle of outside lane, they seldom tailgate you and when seeing a Brit numberplate they seem to make allowances for our mistakes and NOT blast you on their airhorns.

I have always found driving in Paris a PLEASURE because of the driving manners of the French, and that includes the rush hour times from 12.01am until midnight (^) (^)

Syd - 2011-11-22 6:43 PM

Well I believe your attacks on French drivers are grossly inaccurate, I have said this before and will say it again

The French are, from my personal experience, on the whole, much BETTER drivers than we Brits .

When they overtake you on the Motorways they seldom hog the middle of outside lane, they seldom tailgate you and when seeing a Brit numberplate they seem to make allowances for our mistakes and NOT blast you on their airhorns.

I have always found driving in Paris a PLEASURE because of the driving manners of the French, and that includes the rush hour times from 12.01am until midnight (^) (^)

That surely begs the question as to which part of Britain you drive in normally!!!! 8-)

Guest Tracker

I do have to say that every time we return to the crowded UK after a foray to mainland Europe we find the standard of UK driving noticeably worse that the 'foreign' driving standards that we have just experienced and I for one have no grumble about French drivers.

That said it can be a bit frustrating following farmer Pierre in his battered Citroen wandering along at 30 kph in the crown of country roads. The only consolation is that usuually he is only going to the local bar in the next village and will soon stop, albeit generally unannounced!

French Drivers learn to see ahead through your windscreen at the next car ahead much safer, which is why with our inferior teaching of young drivers we have failed to appreciate the advantages of tailgateing, added to the natural superiority of the French, for instance they really can see round corners, open roads tend to help, the French love their Sat Navs and like a lot of Brits are realising that the speedo is inaccurate so they drive at 10% over the speed limit ie 99 kph plus the innaccuracy figure (10%) giving an indicated 108.9kph. But love to slow down when a fixed camera bleeps on the Sat Nag, usually fairly smartish........................:-)

Notwithstanding the variety of commenst, I do believe that somewhere the road statistics confirm that the road safety in the UK is near the top of the list of European countires. Now I accept that may have been compiled prior to us becoming the most crowded place in Europe and have more non Brits driving around than ever before, but when the French put red flags on motorways and exert all drivers to avoid certain routes during early August, you know they have an issue somewhere.

Howeevr, like others I try to avoid high seaon and enjoy the relative peace of many of the French roads, even if they still flash me becausemy headlights are always on, it is a Volvo.

Retread24800 - 2011-11-24 9:03 PM

French Drivers learn to see ahead through your windscreen at the next car ahead much safer, which is why with our inferior teaching of young drivers we have failed to appreciate the advantages of tailgateing, .................:-)

Same principle when behind a 40 foot artic??. Suppose they use the built in periscope??

(lol) (lol)

postnote - 2011-11-25 11:08 PM
Retread24800 - 2011-11-24 9:03 PM French Drivers learn to see ahead through your windscreen at the next car ahead much safer, which is why with our inferior teaching of young drivers we have failed to appreciate the advantages of tailgateing, .................:-)
Same principle when behind a 40 foot artic??. Suppose they use the built in periscope?? (lol) (lol)

Oui, et pourquoi n'emploieriez-vous pas un periscope? :-)

... because if you are far enough back you should be able to 'read' the road ahead without having to go right up to the car in front's bumper!

This reminds me of a chap who had a Bond 875 who had a periscope on it ... honestly he did! His rear screen had gone opaque so I assume that's why, or it could have been because he was tall and his head was near to the roofline and he couldn't see through the rear window ... anyway, it was a right weird looking thing, about the width and height of a letter box opening with 'trunking' from it which 'hung down' over the front windscreen so he could look into it ... don't know if it would be legal now though!!! 8-)

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2011-11-26 5:41 PM... because if you are far enough back you should be able to 'read' the road ahead without having to go right up to the car in front's bumper!This reminds me of a chap who had a Bond 875 who had a periscope on it ... honestly he did! His rear screen had gone opaque so I assume that's why, or it could have been because he was tall and his head was near to the roofline and he couldn't see through the rear window ... anyway, it was a right weird looking thing, about the width and height of a letter box opening with 'trunking' from it which 'hung down' over the front windscreen so he could look into it ... don't know if it would be legal now though!!! 8-)
I think they used to make those for tuggers so they could see through the back window of the caravan:D

Archived