Anyone had a PM from an Andylou?

paulmold

He wants to give me a generator at the NEC show in 2012 in response to me helping him with information on the British Motorhome industry. His company is supposed to be showing at the NEC show. If he means the Feb show, he'll be there alone as it's cancelled.

Sorry it's AndyLau not lou.

paulmold - 2011-11-22 7:03 PM

He wants to give me a generator at the NEC show in 2012 in response to me helping him with information on the British Motorhome industry. His company is supposed to be showing at the NEC show. If he means the Feb show, he'll be there alone as it's cancelled.

Paul

When you said originally "I've received a spam PM", I presume you meant a common-or-garden e-mail addressed to you personally, not a a message sent to you via the forum's PM (Private Message) facility? There's no "AndyLau" user-name registered on this forum and, as far as I'm aware, no way that someone could PM forum-members on a widespread basis.

Having said that, your profile (which any registered forum member can access) does provide a website address and that website, in turn, provides a 'Paul' e-mail address in its Contacts section. So, if that's the e-mail address you were contacted through by "Andy Lau" ( a well-known Hong Kong Cantopop singer, actor, and film producer according to GOOGLE!) he/she could have reached you by using your forum profile and without resorting to address-book 'theft'.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-23 8:13 AM

paulmold - 2011-11-22 7:03 PM

Paul

When you said originally "I've received a spam PM", I presume you meant a common-or-garden e-mail addressed to you personally, not a a message sent to you via the forum's PM (Private Message) facility? There's no "AndyLau" user-name registered on this forum and, as far as I'm aware, no way that someone could PM forum-members on a widespread basis.

Having said that, your profile (which any registered forum member can access) does provide a website address and that website, in turn, provides a 'Paul' e-mail address in its Contacts section. So, if that's the e-mail address you were contacted through by "Andy Lau" ( a well-known Hong Kong Cantopop singer, actor, and film producer according to GOOGLE!) he/she could have reached you by using your forum profile and without resorting to address-book 'theft'.

No Derek that's not correct.

I had a PM from Andy Lau as below: I have no other contact details on my profile.

Perhaps the Mods can investigate this?

PM Message as below:-

"Subject : Need your help

ReplyQuoteDelete

Dear Jeremy,

Good day! Very glad to write to you, we are a supplier of camping generator from China. Currently we want to make a marke investigation on this generator. Could you do me a favour?

The options as follows:

1.Is your motorhome fitted with a generator? Which kind of

auxiliary power is more widly used in UK?Leisure

batteries, fixed generator(Dometic), or portable generator

(Honda)?

2.Usually where you get motorhome accessories from?

Motorhome dealer nearby, online or other ways ?

3.Which motorhome brands are most popular with

motorhomers in UK? Swift, Elddis, Bailey,

Coachman, AS?

Looking forward to your assistance. Thank you

Regards,

Andy"

There's no "AndyLau" user-name registered on this forum and, as far as I'm aware, no way that someone could PM forum-members on a widespread basis.

....current search reveals that there is an AndyLau registered.

Maybe we should all send him a "pleasant" PM greeting.

Robinhood - 2011-11-23 8:31 AM

There's no "AndyLau" user-name registered on this forum and, as far as I'm aware, no way that someone could PM forum-members on a widespread basis.

How embarassing...

Laimeduck's mention of a "Need your help" PM reminded me that I had a couple of PMs on 18 November about generators and, on checking my Inbox, sure enough these were from "AndyLau". I answered the first in reasonable depth and received a polite and constructive reply. There was no hint of a scam. I did ask myself "Why me?", but I get out-of-the-blue PMs seeking advice now and then, so it never much bothers me.

As I said earlier, I'm doubtful that it's possible to send out multiple-recipient PMs so AndyLau will be targeting specific individuals. Whether there's any dubious reason for doing this is anybody's guess and forum members may recall the 'Russian lady journalist' that did the same sort of thing some while ago.

It was not an email through my website but a PM through this site. I have on occasion received emails from members through my website email address so I would have understood that.

Robinhood - 2011-11-23 8:31 AM

How do you search for users names, I tried to find out about AndyLou when I received the PM but could not see anywhere to get a members list.

paulmold - 2011-11-23 7:07 PM

How do you search for users names, I tried to find out about AndyLou when I received the PM but could not see anywhere to get a members list.

Go to your PM inbox.

Select "Create New"

Click on the box to the right of "To"

You then get a "Search for username" box

If you leave this blank and click "Go" you will get the full list of users in ascending order.

If you know part or all of the name you're looking for, enter that (for instance, entering "hoo" will pull up a list that includes me, and any other usernames containing that string).

HTH

Archived