Leisure Batteries Advice

carebear

Been given the task today to find Leisure Batteries.

We have 2 x 110 amps on our van at present but seem to have died a death, not getting more than 7.4 on charge, so time to part company, been struggling a few weeks.

I have been online with Alfa-batteries.co.uk, they have a 125ah, would these be suitable as not sure if we have to stick to a 110 amp, size is not a problem have measured the box.

On the other hand they have a 225ah, what would be the difference having 1 big one instead of the 2 smaller.

The bigger is priced at £159 compared to £95 each on the smaller 2. or on their ebay site the pair costs £180, saving of a tenner with free delivery.

Advice welcome.

You do not have to stick to 110ah , Actually installing the 125ah batteries will be an upgrade, they just store more energy.

I would rather install 2 batteries instead of one big one but thats personal choice, power wise the 225 ah is just as good as twin 110ah.

Do not always trust what they say the Ah rating is. Also Aplha mainly sell budget batteries. The cycle life will be about 150 cycles at 60% dod, whilst paying another £30 quid will get you a premiun brand giving over 300 cyles at 60% dod. Depends what you can afford, but I would always take the route of premiun quality as less troublesome, longer life and much lower water consumption. If you have low power useage and battery is mainly a buffer ( doubt it as you use two) then fine with cheap ones.

Look at Banner, Bosch or Varta as a starting guide.

The Vartas are sold under numerous rebadge names but difficult to trace as the rebadgers often change the suppliers of their batteries.

Brambles - 2011-11-23 1:33 PM

Just checked the 225Ah , it is only 150 cyles at 50% dod. Thats not good.

Thank you, thats that one out then. They do state the CHEAP ones lol, thought i was looking at better range, shall take your advice look for the makes you suggest.

Our van is normally garaged so hookup always available, last 6 weeks been out in storage due to house alterations so garage was needed for furniture storage, been back in a few days now but not gaining on charge and was used away for 4 days on hook up and 400 miles round trip.

Must bite the bullet buying new.

Good advice!  I hesitated to jump in myself because it might be seen as advertising. As well as cycles the rate and deptch of discharge are important too, not least in coming up with that ever important AHr rating. About a year or so ago there were new recommendations about how to test for AHr capacity, the new standard isn't mandatory so some reputable batteries carry the newer more pessimistic AHr rating while some cheapos stick with the older (apparently higher) rating. Apart from sounding better it also satisfies consumer demand for 'same as I've got now'.

As you can imagine its now easy to make a cheap battery look good compared with the competition - but a true like for like comparison taking into account cycles, depth of discharge used, and the discharge rate to measure amp-hours can give a very different picture. The brands mentioned are undoubtedly amongst the better ones to look at, slightly surprised good old Lucas were't mentioned though.  

Unfortunately "good old Lucas" is a much abused name now. Cheap and inferior parts are made and branded "Lucas". No doubt the batteries are much the same.

Old joke:- "Lucas, The prince of Darkness"

Or:- "Why do the Brits have warm beer?" "Because they use Lucas fridges" Etc.

Strange how we miss that British quality now that the firm has long gone, along with so many other firms in the Midlands area.

H

I don't know how much of that is supposition. Lucas batteries are certainly using the new standard for testing and seem to be incredibly similar to the well liked Numax. Many products use established tradenames as part of their marketing even far east imports and that in itself doesn't mean 'bad'. Even things like German awnings are mostly made in the far east these days but some of their market leaders still claim to exhibit 'legendary German quality'. Customer feedback on both Numax and Lucas batteries here is good.

Indeed yes but does that make them (or others in a similar marketing niche) necessarily bad?  I worry that we brits like to bash UK brands more out of habit than evidence. That's not an accusation here but certainly a general concern. This however is getting a bit close to self interest in some senses so I'll desist from pursuing it.

Archived