dilema re-mpg

ips

Well here we go, we used to have caravans and the main reason for the MH was so I didnt need to tow (obviously) and therefore drive at a ridiculous speed of 60mph. Anyway after 2 and a bit years of motorhome I seem to be quite happy at 60mph most of the time particularily when the difference in mpg is about 5mpg between 60-70mph. Short excursions of 1 hr or so makes no difference so may as well drive at the economy speed however on our monthly ish trips to windsor to see mini ips it seems to take an awfull long time and gets a bit of a bore at 60mph so on friday I intend to do the trip at 70mph so with a couple of comfort breaks (smoke breaks) should be do-able in 3 1/2 hrs.

Whats the dilemma and whats the question I here you ask, well I am interested in what other people do. ie ... do you drive with one eye on the fuel figure or do you just drive at a speed you are happy with and dont bother too much about a few extra quid. 70mph on this long journey would be my preference if mrs ips didnt keep harking on about the extra £20 it will cost for the return journey.

HI, we travel at 50/55 on all of our trips even the 1200 miles to Spain. The motorhome just seems to float along, nice and quiet, so with a bit of music (only sometimes) the miles just pass. Out of interest over saveral sections of between 200 to 300 miles the time difference was only an extra 40-60 minutes. The thing to remember is why you bought the wagon, if speed is your friend then why not just use a car and stay in a hotel or with friends or mini ips.

My ford based wagon, as yours, will get up to 70 without any trouble but we like chilling out on any trips hence our travel speed. On average including shortish stops for coffee (from a flask) we get 40/42 mph. This is averaged out over 4 years and 8 trips to France/Spain.

As is always the case re mpg " you pays your money and you makes your choice"

Mike

Is it vital to take the MH to Windsor? Could you take a car or do you need somewhere to sleep?

We traval from the west Country to relatives nr Windsor (coincidently) but we almost inevitably use the car - easier to park, cheaper(Audi diesel) to drive and they have somewhere for us to sleep.

The exception might be if we were heading on somewhere else for stay in the MH that was on or towards the East.

Rgds,

Good point "mike" We could go in the car and stay in a hotel (money isnt really an issue) I suppose its a way of justifying the expence of the MH and of course we like using it. Cant stay with mini ips cos she only has one bedroom (and I aint sleeping on a floor with my back) we are able to park the MH at her gaff for free and with a lovely view and very very secure. Oh and like "Bolero boy" we we usually stop off somewere on the way back, (not on this occasion unfortunately)

In that case, I would follow Mike' advice and just chill along. I drive the Ducato much more slowly than I do the Audi. I think it's the whole MH experience which make me unwind in the Fiat.

If I went at the same pace in the Audi I'd be going bonkers yet in the MH it doesn't seem to matter a fig!

Hi.. We like many others like to drive around 55 - 60 mph. For one reason it's about MPG but the main reason is we feel in control of the vehicle, so if any sudden gust of wind comes along it doesn't sacare the *"%# out of us!! AND of course the scenery is there to be enjoyed>>>

Wind resistance is the greatest enemy of fuel consumption and once you get over 50MPH it really starts to bite. Our Iveco Turbo Daily does 22mpg towing our 1.1 tonne exhibition trailer at 60MPH, 26MPG solo at same speed. Dropping the cruising speed by just 4MPH to 56 MPH improves matters by 2MPG with or without trailer (56MPH gives 24MPG with trailer and 28MPG solo). I now cruise at 56MPH regardless of with or without the trailer, I get better fuel economy and arrive more relaxed. On our average journey of just over 100 miles it adds only a few minutes so why rush?

D.

We never go above an indicated 100kmph (just over 60mph)

I cruise at just a tad under that (as indicated by the speedo).

No idea of fuel economy, other than that it is dire. But it would ber a lot direr (more dire?) if I went any faster.......which I don't want to do because the hadling gets rather, ummmm, interesting at anything much above that.

I just fill the old dog (1992 Aryal Autostar A-class with 2.5td engine) with diesel from the next filling station when it gets down to about a quarter tank.

Slow is good.

Slow is a LOT cheaper, and a lot more relaxing, with music or podcasts on the stereo....and you don't get speeding tickets or licence points either........and the road ahead is always clear (there always seems to be a whole convoy of vehicles behind us though, with a lot of waving and tooting of horns.........)

We try to keep stages between sites to less than 150 miles. When we manage this we drift along at 60 on the motorways and 50 on other roads. If we come across a convoy of lorries we speed up to 70 to get clear of them. We generally (according to the computer) seem to get between 26 and 28 mpg with an as yet fairly new engine. On longer trips provided it is not windy we tend to press on a bit faster.

As someone has already said wind resistance is the killer. On one trip up to Scotland we had such a head wind you could almost watch the fuel gauge fall and we were only doing 50.

If you really want to save some fuel you can save a little by speeding up down hills and using the momentum to help up the next hill. I do do this occasionally but I've never measured the saving and I rather suspect that it is probably hardly worth the effort.

Motorway driving: about 65mph. Other roads: whatever is legal. Overall MPG (29,000 miles): 28.4.

More economical on motorways than on twisting hilly rural roads.

More economical on long straight flat rural roads than on motorways.

I prefer to travel faster than the trucks, but slower than the cars, which generally keeps me out of "bunches".

Left hand lane in UK, right hand lane Elsewhere, except when overtaking. Seldom into RH lane in UK (except M25!! :-)), or LH lane elsewhere.

Higher speeds, unless sustained over long distances, make very little difference to time taken for journey, but do increase fuel consumption slightly. However, head/tail winds, and hills, have a similar effect on MPG, and you can't control them!

So, I'd just drive it as the mood, and the traffic conditions, indicate - and sod the fuel consumption! :-)

I'm slower than I used to be (I mean on the road!).

Of course, when time is an issue (whether because there's an appointment to keep, or just a lot of boring miles to get to the area we WANT to spend time in) I still put my foot down. On the Continent especially, I don't see the sense of paying out good money for tolls (to cover boring ground quickly) then driving slowly to save a bit of fuel.

HOWEVER, when I'm not in a hurry (no deadline, and/or the real "touring" bit of a holiday), 100kph is my cruising speed. The exception is when I'm overtaking on a busy dual carriageway. To travel at less than the speed limit when others (perhaps with more urgent journeys) are waiting behind me would seem just plain selfish. If I want to use the outside lane rather than sit behind that truck, it's my responsibility not to hold up the rest of the traffic!

I think you can only exercise so much right foot control over mpg/kpl as a great deal of other factor,s come into play, such as  (already stated ) wind resistance, road conditions, traffic, road works ,traffic jams,  we have traveled form home in S/W Scotland to Dover on many occasions and have never returned the same MPG, that said I did notice when we were a bit behind time and I put my foot down65/ 70mph I needed to refuel way before I normally did, in the main we travel at a comfortable 55 mph on Motorways, even then there are times when you have to accelerate to get passed numerous HGV which are governed down thus pumping in more fuel, so we tend to ignore the fuel gauge as a controlling factor and enjoy the Scenery.

Hi,

I was once talking to the manager of a coach company who regularly (at least once per week) sent two coaches from Leeds to London.

According to the AA route finder this is approx 200 miles.

One of the coaches was limited to 60mph the other was allowed to go as fast as the driver wanted.

Mostly motorway driving of course and before coaches had limiters.

The unlimited coach always arrived at the destination first but the time the second coach arrived varied between 5 mins and 25 mins behind.

They ran this for about 3 months

The saving on fuel was about 10% in favour of the limited coach

Brimmed prior to South East Tour and travelled at mid range speeds (55mph) where possible and kept up with traffic on other A roads. Managed 550 miles when we arrived back home with (according to fuel computer) 100 miles left in the tank. Computer avge for trip was 29.2 This is a 2010 Fiat 2.3 3500kg Bolero.

Our pals came along in their 4250kg 3.0 Ducato Autocruise Oakmont and they had to fuel up even before the return trip!

So, a smooth relaxed pace can acheive reasonable results but is seems there is a large penalty for a large engine. As we in convoy most of the time (me in front) the speeds were largely similar.

Incidently, the new Euro 5 2.3 (both 130 and 150 bhp) is said to be 9% more fuel efficient than our Euro 4 and the 150 is 18% more efficient than the old 3.0 157 bhp.

Hi ips,

When using motorways, whether home or abroad, I tend to overcome any boredom by varying my speed. This means that I have to actively drive the ‘van rather than just point it.

Thus my speed varies between about 55 and 70 mph, which gives an average of about 60 mph. So although this is no faster than your usual speed at least I'm not too bored.

In our Aria Twin pvc this returns 33 mpg with which I am well pleased.

Cattwg :-D

We normally travel around the 60mph but on a long journey I tend to use the trip computer to monitor consumption and govern my speed accordingly. For the long trips I budget for 27mpg but aim for over 28. If the trip computer shows consumption falling below 28 I slow down and if it reaches 29 I will increase speed. The exception being crossing France & Spain on motorways, not that I use motorways much, then I tend to travel just a tad faster than the governed lorries.

Usually cruise around genuine 60 often normally average 28 -28.5 mpg on a trip to Scotland earlier in the year managed 30 mpg. At 71 mph drops to 26 -26.5 mpg. I find consumption is effected more than expected by head & crosswinds. We did a trip to Upton in a bit of a hurry doing 70 all the way with a strong head wind down to 22.3 mpg. Going down through France this year had a strong cross wind only got 26 mpg taking it easy.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I usually cruise at 50, but sometimes 60,on other occasions I've even cruised at 45, come to think of it maybe 65 /70 sometimes, some of the time I get 26 mpg, other times 29 mpg, downhill with the wind behind as much as 46 mpg, uphill in a head wind 23 mpg. Ive also been known to go fast, not so fast, and even slower that normal, just depends on the mood I'm in. I used to be undecided how fast to go, now I just can't make up my mind. :-S

Guest Tracker

As has been said, aerodynamics, or rather the lack of them, pays a large part and travelling at 45 to 50 mph can be very rewarding mpg wise when touring around.

However we too tend to travel at about 57 - 60 mph on Motorways because that's the speed most of the heavies travel at and it is more relazing not having to keep finding gaps to overtake into.

That said we have been known to travel at 70 plus to keep out of the inside lane and in the mainstream flow of cars because that too is less stressful than continual lane changing - but it comes at a price with mpg of course.

It all depends on whether we have any time constraints, the traffic volumes, and the mood I'm in on the day but although mpg varies from around 32 at 45 mph down to around 24 at 70 mph the overall extra spent or saved does not concern me as it is a mere fraction of the cost of owning and maintaining the beast!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2011-11-23 7:13 PM

That said we have been known to travel at 70 plus to keep out of the inside lane and in the mainstream flow of cars because that too is less stressful than continual lane changing - but it comes at a price with mpg of course.

If only everyone would get the message that you should ALWAYS be on the nearside lane except when overtaking nothing gets my goat more than someone sitting in any lane when they should be moving back to their nearside at whatever speed they are doing if it is safe and clear to do so. There is no such thing as a "fast " lane, or "mainstream" lane. I'm sure you did not mean to imply that you do otherwise did you Tracker ?

we generaly think the travel to and from destinations as part of the holiday/weekend break,so 50/56 mph ideal.please note pelmetman we have changed carbs to weber,and now average 27mpg.ideal for a petrol based transit 1990! but whatever the cost we would still travel.this year so far from march till november been away every month in england including devon,cornwall,wales,east coast(my mother lives at sutton on sea) london,oxford. christmas markets next.hopefully in may france and whatever,dog passport in force now.just go for it .

I always set out with the intention of a gentle drive but it never seems to work that way. On single carriageway roads I try not to hold up the traffic and drive along with the flow .Once on dual or motorways the amount of lorries denote my speed as I feel safer not slogging along in their midst. I consider my safety more important than a few miles to the gallon difference. It is enjoyable to cruise along at your own speed but the congested roads rarely allow it and I don`t agree that it`s amusing to look in the rear view mirror at a line of traffic that cannot overtake. Our roads are simply too overcrowded but I have to admit I always feel safer than in the car on long journeys.

Alan.

Speed, ah yes.........

Many years ago I had a motor bike and speed was "of the essence" as they say.......We, a group of bikers used to ride out to Cleethorpes from Doncaster for the "ride".

I was relating a journey to a friends father and told him that I'd got there about five minutes quicker than normal and was quite chuffed by it...........

He asked me what I did in that five minutes............"Nothing", I said, "I just waited for the rest to catch up."

"So the possibility of maiming or killing myself or others was worth nothing then" he replied...................

He also came out with a classic. (For me.) He was ill and dying, his young son, my friend, ask him if he was afraid of death......."Ney lad" he said, "it can't be that bad, no body's come back to complain"

Archived