Air Horns

chas

Hi All- I believe Father Xmas will be bring me some loud triple airhorns this year, and just as well as the horn on my 05 Boxer as been very feeble from day one. Quite inaudable if on a noisy motorway. I do not use the horn much, but when required, it wants to let everyone know I am there.

It will be no problem for me to fix the horns and compressor into position, but as I want the old horn disconnected and still use the horn button, some idea of the wireing up and finding the existing connections would be very useful.

If anyone as performed this task I would be grateful of the procedure on the said Boxer engine compartment.

Cheers :->

...It's taken a while but there's the first one.... *-)

Chas...I was going to respond to you earlier,saying how you'll be likely to get some negative flak...you know the sort(.."...I've been driving 50odd years and I'VE never needed air horns.." etc etc *-)

..Hopefully someone will be able to help with the info you need... ;-)

You may well need a relay as the current will be a good bit higher? Wire the relay in place of the existing horn. Take a seperate fused supply to the relay then horn with adequate sized cable plus earth.

I fitted a klaxon in addition to the normal horn as it at least draws attention, and smiles, so is ideal if I am in a position I need to draw attention.

Not sure of the situation for MOT as I can pull fuse before test not a problem.

pepe63 - 2011-11-25 3:31 PM

Chas...I was going to respond to you earlier,saying how you'll be likely to get some negative flak...you know the sort(.."...I've been driving 50odd years and I'VE never needed air horns.." etc etc *-)

Well said that man, Why not get reversing bleepers while you are at it and up date your exhaust to make it sound more Macho and also joined up number plates with your names on them , handy if you forget what it is , bunches of keys to dangle from your belts and very long whippy aerials also help on the pratt scale IMO. :-D :-D :-D :-D

vindiboy - 2011-11-25 3:51 PM

pepe63 - 2011-11-25 3:31 PM

Well said that man, Why not get reversing bleepers while you are at it and up date your exhaust to make it sound more Macho and also joined up number plates with your names on them , handy if you forget what it is , bunches of keys to dangle from your belts and very long whippy aerials also help on the pratt scale IMO. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Pratt scale, you must be pretty near the top of that Vindi so will really find it tough at the top.

chas - 2011-11-25 1:46 PM

Hi All- I believe Father Xmas will be bring me some loud triple airhorns this year, and just as well as the horn on my 05 Boxer as been very feeble from day one. Quite inaudable if on a noisy motorway. I do not use the horn much, but when required, it wants to let everyone know I am there.

It will be no problem for me to fix the horns and compressor into position, but as I want the old horn disconnected and still use the horn button, some idea of the wireing up and finding the existing connections would be very useful.

If anyone as performed this task I would be grateful of the procedure on the said Boxer engine compartment.

Cheers :->

Because of the relatively high current-demand of the air-horns compressor, you will definitely need a relay and this should be supplied in the air-horns 'kit', together with generic wiring instructions.

The best (and/or easiest) way to wire up the compressor will depend on your 2005 Boxer's existing wiring and I'm not familiar with that.

When I've fitted air-horns I've installed a heavily-cabled 12V feed from the vehicle-battery to the relay and then on to the compressor, and then extended to the 'trigger'-side of the relay the 12V cable that causes the standard horn to sound. This arrangement means that both the standard horn and the air-horns work together, but as I don't use a horn for amusement (or not often!) this doesn't bother me. It also means that, if one horn should fail, the other should still function, and (should one so wish) it allows a short instant 'peep' from the standard horn before the air-horns compressor has time to spin up.

If you GOOGLE using "air horn wiring diagram" as the search term (omitting the quotes), you'll get lots of useful information.

sshortcircuit - 2011-11-25 3:32 PM

...I fitted a klaxon in addition to the normal horn as it at least draws attention, and smiles, so is ideal if I am in a position I need to draw attention.

I'm not sure either how an MOT tester would treat a klaxon - see final entry in paragraph 'e' of the "Reason for rejection" column on the following webpage:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_160.htm

One general point worth mentioning is that, if you've added some really ear-splitting horns to your motorhome, it would be wise to mention this to anyone intending to service or MOT your vehicle.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-25 6:59 PM

sshortcircuit - 2011-11-25 3:32 PM

...I fitted a klaxon in addition to the normal horn as it at least draws attention, and smiles, so is ideal if I am in a position I need to draw attention.

I'm not sure either how an MOT tester would treat a klaxon - see final entry in paragraph 'e' of the "Reason for rejection" column on the following webpage:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_160.ht

One general point worth mentioning is that, if you've added some really ear-splitting horns to your motorhome, it would be wise to mention this to anyone intending to service or MOT your vehicle.

Thanks for the info Derek. My klaxon is on a separate switch, not ear-splitting and the fuse easily removed.

Mel B - 2011-11-25 6:41 PM

Vindi, you been sniffing something? You don't seem to be 'yourself' at the moment. :-S

Funny you should say that, I have an infection on my chest and am currently taking Anti Biotic at the moment, don't worry though I will soon be back to my usual Grumpy Self LOL LOL. I had my first ever Flu Jab the other week and was advised to have a Pneumonia Jab as well which I did a week later and now feel like @@@@, coincidence said the Doctor ? :-D :-D

Quite a few times on site, I have been amused when a motorhome owner was Swivelling his cab seats and leaned on the Horn button, with a 'Normal' horn it's just weak 'beep'. With a set of these, half the site could end up with a 'Heart attack shock' thinking a 'Juggery nut' was coming 'Through'.

Boys Toys ? (i'm just jealous !!) Ray ;-)

Colin Leake - 2011-11-25 10:22 PM

What I fancy is one of those big brass jobs shaped like a serpent with a big rubber bulb on the end that one mounts on the outside of the body. A bit of class and no need to worry about how to wire it up.

I already have one of those, mine is hot wired and has a mind of it's own or so says my wife (lol) (lol) (lol)

There will be a live feed down to the horns then a return to earth via the horn push on the steering wheel.

The weak point is usually the slip rings under the steering wheel.

To give the slip rings an easy time just use the existing wiring to the horn to control a 30 Amp relay. Run a fresh fused supply to the relay from a permant feed in the fuse box, then run a new earth from the relay to earth.

No doubt Clive Mott will supply a nice wiring diagram for you.

Its to late at night for me to look up the correct terminals on the relay.

My 13 year old £10 air horns still work a treat with this set up.

In the 2005 model, the feed to the actual horn is via a relay and fuse. 12 volts is supplied to the horn from the relay, the other side of horn being grounded. The coil of the relay is connected to 12 volts and the other side of the relay coil is switched by the horn switch in steering wheel to ground.

edit - clarified by adding "the other side of the relay coil"

Archived