Charging system problem

Armadillo

We have a van conversion fitted with a PMS 3v Power Management System, and a 135amph leisure battery.

There is a split relay and even although we switch the PMS over to the "van"setting we can't run the fridge on 12v whilst driving as the battery condition display immediately goes into the red. Also, even on hook-up we have the same problem of the display going into the red when we are searching for a satellite.

The battery was new 9 months ago.

We are wondering if the PMS is capable of fully charging a 135amph battery.

Not sure if the instruction manual wil help or not.

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ekmps/shops/olearys/resources/Other/pms3-instructions.pdf

seems to be showing wiring to sockets etc for a caravan.

I can only think the fridge is drawing power from the battery and not the alternator, maybe because of a fault in the wiring from the alternator to the unit and cannot supply enough current. However would not think the sat system would draw enough power to pull down the battery voltage. Possible earth connection fault to chassis somewhere or battery is just not charged or faulty.

Do you have a voltmeter? It will be very difficult to help you trace a fault unless you have one.

I had a similar problem travelling through France last Sept. I found my fuse holder in the engine bay, which feeds the leisure battery, had a black discolouration on the gripped retainers. It must have caused a resistance as the fuse plastic handle itself had melted.

My conclusion, the resistance caused low charge current, the resistance caused heat and melted the fuse plastic handle.

I am in the process of fitting new relays, new relay holders and new fuse holders to feed the relays. Must admit the old ones have been there for 15 years.

Archived