first motorhome,info needed.

bigtree

We have a friend who has just bought a 2003 Euromobile with a Tandem Axle Mercedes Benze. Not sure how much he paid for it, close to £40,000 I should think. That is a German make that you may be interested in enough to have a look at.

Good Hunting, hope you find what you want.

P.S. Look on Hambleton Engineering's website, they have Hymers for Sale on there. There are in Preston.

http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/

Hi

Another top quality German is Niesmann+Bischoff - owned by Hymer but separate factory and higher quality - real longlife machines

We are selling a tandem axle Flair - gives you an idea of what is available - please have a look at the ad on

http://www.caravanselecta.co.uk/motorhomes/niesmann-and-bischoff/niesmann-and-bischoff-flair-6700ita-cs363929.aspx

More pictures at: https://picasaweb.google.com/111522027017577318089/FlairPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCPjH2tTpmraUZg

Enjoy motorhoming

bordersflair - 2011-11-30 5:58 PM

Hi

Another top quality German is Niesmann+Bischoff - owned by Hymer but separate factory and higher quality - real longlife machines

We are selling a tandem axle Flair - gives you an idea of what is available - please have a look at the ad on

http://www.caravanselecta.co.uk/motorhomes/niesmann-and-bischoff/niesmann-and-bischoff-flair-6700ita-cs363929.aspx

More pictures at: https://picasaweb.google.com/111522027017577318089/FlairPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCPjH2tTpmraUZg

Enjoy motorhoming

(?) (?) But that's a Fiat with FWD & one h*ll of a lot of Motorhome for a 2.3 engine :-(

N+B, along with other quality brands, used to run their biggest vehicles on the old Ducato 2.8 which offered 128bhp - less than the 130 output of the later 2.3. This one is remapped to give 154bhp and a healthy boost to economy - 24/25mpg is significantly better than 18/19 mpg on the Iveco 3.0 chassis.

The other advantage is the Alko tandem axle - by far the most stable and pliant (and avoids any axle overloading at the rear) - notice how Mercedes are now offering this as a chassis option

There are (and have been) plenty of Mercedes-based A-class motorhomes with a twinned-wheel rear axle. However, a potential downside of this configuration as far as bigtree is concerned comes from the blend of the vehicle's length and wheel-base.

If an over-8m length is required, then the vehicle's wheelbase will either be long - which will produce a wide turning circle - or relatively short - which will produce a long rear overhang. In the latter case, anything heavy stored in a rear garage will have a significant leverage effect, so the weight of any motobike will need to be considered carefully. A long overhang may also result in the motorhome manufacturer choosing to design in plenty of rear ground clearance, which may complicate actually getting a motorhome in or out of a rear garage.

If an 8m+ long Mercedes-powered A-Class design is an absolute 'must', then only a Germany-built motorhome is likely to be able to provide that combination.

• 3 weeks later...
First off,thanks for all your replies,we have now bought our first motorhome.It is a 2011 Frankia i7900 that we picked up from Germany last week,nice vehicle with a good spec. Merc 3 litre engine with VB air suspension,sat. dish and awning oh and a large garage for my bike. :-D

2047604913_(KGrHqEOKpwE3t5yrVdnBODhG)OGQ_27.JPG.888292f72a768ce685a91436894de416.JPG

bigtree - 2011-12-22 10:05 PM

First off,thanks for all your replies,we have now bought our first motorhome.It is a 2011 Frankia i7900 that we picked up from Germany last week,nice vehicle with a good spec. Merc 3 litre engine with VB air suspension,sat. dish and awning oh and a large garage for my bike. :-D

bigtree,

You dont mess about when buying your first motorhome do you? it would probably take me 50 years to upgrade to something like that.

What a beauty you got there Bigtree,

I have just been looking at the picture for about 5 mins expecting the big one to drive of and reveal yours, a little old coachbuit behind it.

but it didn't happen it looks great.

be sure to have much fun with it

Good choice ! We are very pleased with our Frankia bought from the Dusseldorf Show and supplied by Tank Reismobile near the Danish border . Only downside is the distance if we ever had a problem. But touch wood after two years nothing has gone wrong.

I assume yours is the Exclusive Class which did not exist when I bought ? It will be my choice for the next van as the lounge is slightly bigger than the Comfort. Just waiting till the euro hits 1.60 to the pound or maybe even back to deutschmarks !!

Enjoy !

Every day since we bought it the pound has rose and we could have saved a bit more on the deal but you never know,so the deal was done and we drove it home.Not before we put a fair few bottles of plonk in the boot or garage,looking forward to some trips in it next year.

Hope you have many years of fun with your new 'van. As you may guess we are Frankia devotees. We are on our 5th Frankia and I am not going to tell you lot how good they are - you may all go out and buy 'em and the price will go up.

Like Ian (wysturx) we are well satisfied with the build quality and for that matter with the company themselves - unfortunately they don't have many English speaking folk there but they do go out of their way to sort out any problems. We were at the factory in Markt Schorgast in September as we had a tired water pump - no problem and a factory tour thrown in whilst they sorted it out.

The dealer mentioned by Ian speaks good English and is also very accommodating. He will be supplying our next Frankia, due in late April, and as we are picking it up on our way back from Portugal he has offered us his garage facilities so that we can swap over solar panels, motorbike rack etc from our old 'van to the new and said he will help with the work - all FOC.

We have always had Fiat FWD with an ALKO "tag" and have found them to be far more stable on the road than the Merc - might have considered the merc now that it can be ordered with an ALKO tag but the price difference is eye watering.

I looked long and hard for the layout that suited us and the Frankia fitted the bill,the budget did creep up from what I originally wanted to spend.Every manufacturer was looked at and I kept coming back to this model,it was interesting with a crosswind but being my first I wouldn't know any different.This one was made with a particularly large garage for a bike owner so was ideal for me.

Archived