pay up front - no refund policy

gordonhymer

On some Spanish sites you can pay ahead, [ you are actually there at the time ] and get a better rate for your stay, but you will need to know if you are actually going to stay for the time you pay ahead , I would guess that there is no refund if you left early or you would have to pay at a higher rate if you cut your stay short ?? I try not to do Campsites any more, Wild camping does me or Aires,.

At Cornish Farm Touring Park we have a pay up front policy for really busy periods, brought about by people booking in advance, us turning people away and then the booking people not turning up.

We do however not enforce it! In essence, we ask for pre payment over say Christmas. If people are unhappy with this we will still take the booking, we just wont guarantee the pitch.

This way people can still change their minds and not arrive, but if we have a queue of people out the door wanting an empty pitch we can go ahead and let it!

This seems to be fair to everyone. If of course some wants a guaranteed pitch, they can pay for it and it is theirs

Eddie

Under current rules you could have paid for three nights and got a refund of one nights fees if you had decided only to stay two nights. However for 2012 you have to give 72 hours notice of early departure in order not to lose at least one nights site fee. The only exception is is the warden books you onto another CC site.

David

Must have missed this, then- I dont recall seeing anything about it in the CC magazine? Up to now, we have always )well, on the odd occasion it was necessary) been able to leave early, and get a refund!

This must be yet another attempt to reduce the flexibility of our way of life.

Of course, there is one way round, very often, which means more work for the CC wardens.....pay per night every day, or just pay for part of the time upfront.

Regarding the initial enquiry, our experience is:

In France we have never booked a night, and on many sites you pay when you leave.Indeed some sites if you only want an overnight, it's quite difficult to persuade M le Guardien (Mme la Gardienne ,more often!) to let you pay when you arrive! How often,in fact, we intended only one night but ended staying 2 or 3!

Where we have had to pay in full on arrival, and if we were hoping for a 'long' stay.(say 3 weeks or so) we would pay for part of that time, then pay for the remainder when the initialpayment ran out...if we still wanted to stay on,that is/

In UK, some sites (not CC) require a deposit, then pay in full on arrival. Others requite full payment when booking if you are within a few days of arrival. we have never been to one in UK where you pay on departure! We tend to pay a few days at a time,which leaves our options open,though this is not possible if it is one of those sites which are continually full.

Both main clubs have rules about cancellation and you have to pay upfront, with the C&CC requiring a deposit. But we have found no problems with the CC even when on of us was ill at Cirencester Park and had booked for a number of nights. We were given a refund for the unused nights. But the C&CC were like the Gestapo. In exactly the same circumstances at Canterbury the wardens would do nothing but told us to write to Head Office. Which we did and had to waste time and money writing and explaining what had happened before being phoned to say the warden was out of order and we would get a refund. But what a palaver, no common sense but bureaucracy at its best. I think the CC are getting it right by having a black list of people who abuse the system by stopping their bookings. The deposit system as used by the C&CC is awful so we dont book ahead with them. Their sites which we use are not booked up as much so we have no problem in getting in at short notice, unless you only want one night and that is a Friday but that is another thread. Dont believe all what people say about France. If you go in the main season anywhere popular for example mid July to end of August you will have to book and usually pay a deposit or the whole cost and are unlikly to get a refund if something goes wrong. Being retired we try and miss the busy season and out of season motorhoming is heaven, no booking needed and pay when you go. This system would not work in the UK because of the busier nature of sites.

Wills Wagon - 2011-12-09 5:53 PM

I think the CC are getting it right by having a black list of people who abuse the system by stopping their bookings.

Let's hope so. We have no idea at the moment about where we will be or when so can't book with anyone yet. However, this puts us at a severe disadvantage with the CC.

The deposit system as used by the C&CC is awful so we dont book ahead with them. Their sites which we use are not booked up as much so we have no problem in getting in at short notice, unless you only want one night and that is a Friday but that is another thread. .

I think the deposit system is one of the reasons that we also have no problem getting in at short notice.

Archived