CLUTCH SLIP

lizken

lennyhb - 2011-11-27 10:13 PM

Sorry can not help with your problem but please do not shout.

Upper-case on forums and in email is shouting and considered rude.

I don't consider it rude, who makes these stupid rules anyway ? I don't think there will be any manual adjustment on your Clutch and I guess it will mean replacement, I recently had a new clutch fitted in my Hymer , had to get it done in Portugal cost me 1100,Euros 2.8 JTD Fiat.

Well I certainly don't consider it rude. I thought the idea of forums was for people to help and share experiences not put up petty rules.

Not sure about a Boxer but on my fiat ducato there was no adjustment and I had the clutch changed at a commercial fiat dealer about a year ago at a cost of £750.

lizken - 2011-11-27 8:52 PM

BOXER 2LTR HDI SUFFERING SOME CLUTCH SLIP WHEN UNDER PRESSURE. IS THERE ANY ADJUSTMENT OR WILL IT BE A REPLACEMENT :-(

Based on your earlier postings, I'm not sure whether your 2004 Autocruise Valentine has a (chipped) 1.9litre 'HDI' diesel engine or a 2.0 litre one. I don't think this will actually matter as far as your clutch-slip problem is concerned but, as the 1.9litre powerplant was apparently superseded by a 2.0 litre motor in the early 2000s, it would be sensible to be precise. In either case, I'm pretty sure that no adjustment of the clutch is practicable.

Clutch-slip may be due to a failing thrust-bearing, worn-out friction-linings or springs, or contamination. In all such cases replacement is the only realistic option.

lennyhb - 2011-11-27 10:13 PM

Sorry can not help with your problem but please do not shout.

Upper-case on forums and in email is shouting and considered rude.

Regarding SHOUTING, the Wikipedia entry on 'Netiquette' is worth reading, particularly the following paragraph:

"When someone makes a mistake – whether it's a spelling error or a spelling flame, a stupid question or an unnecessarily long answer – be kind about it. If it's a minor error, you may not need to say anything. Even if you feel strongly about it, think twice before reacting. Having good manners yourself doesn't give you license to correct everyone else. If you do decide to inform someone of a mistake, point it out politely, and preferably by private email rather than in public. Give people the benefit of the doubt; assume they just don't know any better. And never be arrogant or self-righteous about it. Just as it's a law of nature that spelling flames always contain spelling errors, notes pointing out Netiquette violations are often examples of poor Netiquette."

(For anyone wondering what a "spelling flame" is, it's a posting ostentatiously correcting a previous person's spelling as a way of casting scorn on the point the person was trying to make, instead of actually responding to that point. Of course, people who are more than usually slovenly spellers are prone to think any correction is a spelling flame. It's an amusing comment on human nature that spelling flames themselves often contain spelling errors.)

Guest Peter James

It can be caused by oil on the linings if the engine oil or transmission oil has been overfilled, causing oil to seep through the seals. In such cases if you drain enough oil out to bring it down to the proper level the surplus oil might burn off.

Otherwise its a new clutch.

But you can often go a very long way with a slipping clutch provided you don't slip it too much and get it too hot.

Guest Peter James
rolandrat - 2011-11-28 10:12 AM

A friend has recently replaced his himself as he is a mechanic, it is a rear lounge Autocruise and had done 24000 miles. I don't think there is any manual adjustment, once they start to slip then a replacement has to be considered.

24,000 miles is very low for a clutch on a van. But I have seen some drivers who could burn a clutch out in less than that *-)

Peter James - 2011-11-28 10:48 AM

It can be caused by oil on the linings if the engine oil or transmission oil has been overfilled, causing oil to seep through the seals. In such cases if you drain enough oil out to bring it down to the proper level the surplus oil might burn off.

But you can often go a very long way with a slipping clutch provided you don't slip it too much and get it too hot.

You are both right and wrong, Peter, a slipping clutch if driven carefully will get you home over a thousand miles or more, I have done it! But if you get in a psoition where a hill start is unavoidable the clutch will probably just slip and burn out. Best get it sorted ASAP.

A visual check for oil can sometimes be made with fibre optic viewer and a suitable hole to poke it through.

I would think that if it is oil you would see some evidence of it around the clutch housing.

If you have a new clutch can I suggest that you have a full clutch, insist that parts are manufacturers or a good brand (Mintex, Ferodo, AP etc). Ask that all removed parts are kept for your inspection, that way you know that they HAVE all been swopped. Have the rear crank seal inspected and replaced at the same time if it is seeping.

H

Guest Peter James
hallii - 2011-11-28 11:05 AM

Peter James - 2011-11-28 10:48 AM

You are both right and wrong, Peter, a slipping clutch if driven carefully will get you home over a thousand miles or more, I have done it! But if you get in a psoition where a hill start is unavoidable the clutch will probably just slip and burn out. Best get it sorted ASAP.

H

Agreed yes. I have driven a fully loaded lorry half way to Italy and all the way back with a slipping clutch. You have to avoid very steep hills, and use a low gear wherever necessary to avoid sustained clutch slipping.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rolandrat - 2011-11-28 10:03 AM

Derek, you couldn't have put it better, pompousness is out of order.

Yes, but there's plenty of that on here, and certain members who insist on using a couple of hundred words when just a few would do.

dikyenfo:

Regarding your signature, who is it that she does the sex with? Given that it isn't you (".....I do everything else") shouldn't you find that a bit worrying?

And why is it always the men who can turn any subject around to sex? What on earth has sex to do with a slipping clutch? ................. Oh, on second thoughts maybe it has everything to do with slipping your clutch.

Guest 1footinthegrave
lizken - 2011-11-28 9:17 PM

nit picking, Derek

It is actually 1.986cc HDI

Glad that's cleared up then :-S :-S :-S :-S

Derek Uzzell - 2011-11-28 6:33 PM

lizken - 2011-11-28 5:09 PM

Derek,

It is a 2litre HDI, the 1.9 was a TD

Ken

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=6694&posts=30

"We have a 2004 Boxer 1.9HDI which has been chipped from original 90bhp to 120bhp...." ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

1/3rd more hp through the same clutch

my guess is you need a new clutch

Actually to me it was quite important to read your van has been chipped.

Unfortuately extra clutch wear can be one of the side effects of having the extra power.

The clutch is designed and selected to match te engine and diesels can produce very high peak power during the power stroke. To protect the gearbox the clutch will slip slightly if the power is excessive and the springs in the clutch plate cannot absorb the torque pulse . When chipping if the peak power has been increased during the power stroke the clutch may break its stiction and slip slighty when applying full power and the clutch plate springs get full compressed.

I have seen cars wear clutches and all they ever do is long distance on motorways, reason again is hard acceleration at the max torque speeds of the engine.

Now generally it is not a problem, but where it is, is when you change gear and put your foot hard down too quick before the clutch has a chance to 'grip' It just keeps slipping and can wear very fast. As soon as the power is removed the clutch gets a chance to grip and form stiction and then should be OK. So I am afraid most likely cause of your clutch wear is probably the chipping. To avoid wearing your new clutch, then don't drive with max throttle around the 2000rpm range where max torque is developed.

The clutch is also designed like this so for example if you brake really hard, like on snow or in the wet and the front wheels lock and clutch is still engaged, it meansyou are going to also be braking a fast moving engine and without this deliberate weakness in the clutch friction something will give and break, usually the gearbox input shaft or some gear teeth.

Other posters have been trying to help you here and to accuse someone of nit picking is a bit out of order. You made the mistake of previously mentioning your engine was a 1.9 which it could well have been if it had been a late registration and hoprfully you can see now the relevance of the fact you have chipped the engine.

Guest Peter James

Interesting post, Thank You Brambles. & I've learned a new word 'stiction'.

I notice that PSA remap/chip the 2.2 engine in some models of the Boxer/Relay from 100hp to 120hp. But they don'tjust leave it at that like the aftermarket bods. They fit a different clutch with a dual mass flywheel. My Citroen Relay handbook also shows this remap from 100hp to 120hp reduces mpg by about 11% - manufacturers figures

So when these aftermarket bods claim they are so much more clever than the engine manufacturers, with all their millions of pounds spent on research and development, that can both increase their power and reduce their fuel consumption I find them very hard to believe. Particularly since, as far as I know, no manufacturers or sizeable fleet operators use their remaps. From my experience of the transport industry, I know they are obsessed with fuel consumption. If they could get a reduction in their astronomical fuel bills from something like this they would be all over it like a rash.

lizken - 2011-11-28 9:17 PM

nit picking, Derek

It is actually 1.986cc HDI

I was fairly sure your Valentine's motor was the 2.0litre, but not 100% certain. I wasn't going to plough through all your earlier postings for confirmation and using the forum's SEARCH facility tends to be pot-luck sometimes. Having Searched again with "HDI" as the search-term I found a couple of entries in 2007/2008 that verified your 2.0litre statement.

There's a related thread on the MHF forum:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-50639-peugeot-boxer-clutch.html

Peter James mentions PSA fitting a DMF to some versions the 2.2litre diesel motor. I don't know what clutch-type the 2.0litreHDI motor had, but hopefully it wasn't a DMF as replacement would be unpleasantly expensive.

(It might be useful to learn the mileage your motorhome has now covered.)

Archived