NEW BATTERY

skyrider

Well if you are looking for the standard Engine Cranking Battery for a FORD 2-5 diesel there should be plenty of those about, call in at a Commercial Ford dealers and make enquires about the spec and then shop around for your best deal, the original Batteries will have been fitted at the Ford Factory, probably Southampton.

Ford normally fit "Motorcraft"-branded batteries as original equipment and these have a good reputation for longevity. (The original Motorcraft battery in my 1996-built Transit Mk 5-based Herald motorhome with 2.5 turbo-diesel was still going strong when I sold the vehicle 8 years later).

I think a Motorcraft battery suitable for your Transit is likely to have an asking-price of around £100.

You'll need to be careful dimensions-wise as there's not a huge amount of room under the Transit's bonnet.

I think it would be worth going for a decent run or putting the battery on charge and getting an electrical "drop test" done on the battery just to make sure that the original battery is on its way out and there is no steady drain on the battery.

The drop test just consists of putting two hand held probes on the battery for about 15-20 seconds and reading a meter attached to the probes.(this simulates a very heavy load on the battery) Halfords used to and probably still do it for free.

Mike

Archived