Genny

ips

sorry about double post put it on chatterbox1st by mistake

Got a cheapo genny (yes I know I should have got an expensive one with pure sine wave.....but I didnt) just to charge the batterys occasionally. Its small and lightweight and not too noisy however its not pure sinewave so.....is it ok just for carging via the van electrics or do I need some sort of rectifier / suppressor to smooth out the voltage, If so then were do I get such a thing cos a google search came up with nothing.

Also does anyone bother with an earth spike in the ground ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi IPS

Dont whatever you do connect the 240v output from the generator to your van electrics without doing some tests on the output voltage / frequency, Because the Switch mode charger in the van will probably die before you can stop the generator.

I assume it is similar to the one i purchased a while ago it has the 2 stroke tank on top and pull cord to start a choke for when its cold and a rocker switch to stop the thing. The problem is the output varies wildly as does the frequency ,because it is only controlled by a carburetter air inlet type device i measured my output when on minimal load at between 210 and 295 volts could not do it on a digital meter because the display never stopped changing had to use an analogue one. i consider that the 12v output (if yours has this facility) to be the only thing i would connect to the battery and that would be when the battery is disconnected from the van electricals and that is difficult as the batterys are under the seat in the flash. It might seem that i am being a bit alarmist only the van charger will cost a lot more to replace than the genny. Of course it may not be the same as mine which i think is marketed as protool or similar.

Dave

Thanks for the info, sorry about delay in reply.

I was worried about this purchase and decided to return it and exchange it for a Clarke 1000 sine wave jobbie its 4 stroke with eco button and stuff, much better unit but 4 times the money but as you say cheaper than new van electronics. Dealer quite happy to exchange the other one, but I am on trade account so spose that helped a bit.. :-D

Thanks again for your reply.

PS-yes it sounds like the same one although mine was a real cheapo and dint even have the 12v outlet :-D

Archived