HELP REQUIRED

FRANKP60

Hi all .Whist i know this thread is not motor home related ,I can hopefully get a good over view on Orange .I have the miss fortune to be with Orange for my EMAIL AND Service provider,if you too are with Orange are you getting constant problems with there service!!!!!!!!

Guest 1footinthegrave
FRANKP60 - 2011-12-05 10:21 AM

Hi all .Whist i know this thread is not motor home related ,I can hopefully get a good over view on Orange .I have the miss fortune to be with Orange for my EMAIL AND Service provider,if you too are with Orange are you getting constant problems with there service!!!!!!!!

I'm having trouble with my Zanussi dish washer as well if we're on non motor home items now in "Motorhome matters" :-S :-S

Guest Tracker

We have a problem with rabbits in the garden - does anyone have any land mines to spare please.

I've had an orange payg phone for years and it has been OK - but then again it is old and reliable, just like me, and has never needed any help from Orange!

That said anecdotally friends do not seem that impressed with Orange customer care but I don't suppose they are any worse than the others and at least Orange merged with T Mobile extends the coverage which now seems better than O2 and Voda.

My ISP and phone is via BT - but not for long as they too are not renowned for being helpful so I intend to try Plusnet which has some good - and some not so good - reports - but is at least less expensive!

And I've just got the chimney sweep brush stuck...guess where. But, it's ok, I'll send the wife up when she comes home from work !

Seriously though, I'm with Orange, & whatever it was called before (approx 8 yrs). I've got broadband + free calls after a certain time (not sure when, rarely used it). I'm paying £10 / month.

My 'livebox router' drops the internet connection quite regularly, sometimes 4 times a day....but then it might not drop off for a couple of weeks.

Sometimes the system is slow, but my computer is 8 yrs old.

I don't know the download speed.

And the brush really is stuck.

regards

Allen

FRANKP60 - 2011-12-05 10:21 AM

Mrs has an iphone on Orange and no probs at all except sometimes hard to get a strong phone signal (we live out in the sticks a bit-snows in July etc!) Broadband is BT and iphone works fine through wireless router

Mike

Guest Tracker

All of them do a coverage map - but they seem to be a bit optimistic in places!

3 seem to have the best mobile and 3G coverage in theory followed by Orange/Tmobile but it pays to check where you expect to mainly want to use a mobile device before buying as it is a minefield!

We have trouble with foxes eating our chickens anyone close with a shotgun licence?

If the connection keeps dropping it a good chance it's the router, check with your neighbours connections are OK that will tell you if the local exchange is OK. Are your phone lines clean no noise on voice calls as broadband often drops out if you have noisy copper if that's the case get onto BT.

If the lines are clean and exchange OK I would suspect the router .

Guest Tracker

The trouble with asking BT for help is that they are very obstructive and will do everything they can to pass the buck.

If you do get to speak to an English speaking operative most of them are as helpful as their employer will allow them to be, and if ever you do get to see an engineer they too are generally decent helpful people but if they find a fault that is not BT's responsibility the bill starts at about £120 and can quickly rise so you need to be sure before activating BT.

Guest JudgeMental
Frank McAuley - 2011-12-05 11:44 AM

Unfortunately I'm stuck with ORANGE for another year But as regards broadband they are a complete disaster. They share the line with far too many customers hence a service which is dependant on how many are using their PC's etc .

But they are all the same?? even a 50 meg super duper Virgin fibre optic installation suffers from "throttling"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_throttling

But I also have the misfortune of being with Orange *-)

Guest Tracker
JudgeMental - 2011-12-05 12:34 PM

But I also have the misfortune of being with Orange *-)

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke!!

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2011-12-05 12:49 PM

Now you've done it ! ! :'(

Not to worry.....The only reason theTracker stumps up the fiver for internet is to bore the hell out of us. If it was not for MMM he would be using semaphore (flag waving)

Guest Tracker
JudgeMental - 2011-12-05 1:30 PM

1footinthegrave - 2011-12-05 12:49 PM

Now you've done it ! ! :'(

Not to worry.....The only reason theTracker stumps up the fiver for internet is to bore the hell out of us. If it was not for MMM he would be using semaphore (flag waving)

If you are only paying a fiver for internet Eddie no wonder it is a crap service!

wints - 2011-12-05 11:28 AM

...Seriously though, I'm with Orange, & whatever it was called before (approx 8 yrs). I've got broadband + free calls after a certain time (not sure when, rarely used it). I'm paying £10 / month.

My 'livebox router' drops the internet connection quite regularly, sometimes 4 times a day....but then it might not drop off for a couple of weeks.

regards

Allen

Try running a broadband speed-tester. For instance

http://www.broadbandwatchdog.co.uk/speed-test.php

My own broadband speed was registering 1.77Mb/s (Download) and 0.49Mb/s (Upload) when I just tested it, which definitely isn't 'superfast', but is what I'd expect.

Guest Tracker

Our speed today is 4.28 mbs download and .31 mbs upload which is about normal for Norfolk and considerably faster, and very acceptable, download than Pembrokeshire where we lived before.

I have heard it said that BT give their own customers better download speeds than client customers of other ISPs and although I have no proof of this 2 of my neighbours who are not on BT but use the same phone lines both seem to 'enjoy' download speeds of about 2.0 mbs generally?

Derek Uzzell - 2011-12-05 2:05 PM

...Seriously though, I'm with Orange, & whatever it was called before (approx 8 yrs). I've got broadband + free calls after a certain time (not sure when, rarely used it). I'm paying £10 / month.

regards

Allen

Try running a broadband speed-tester. For instance

http://www.broadbandwatchdog.co.uk/speed-test.php

My own broadband speed was registering 1.77Mb/s (Download) and 0.49Mb/s (Upload) when I just tested it, which definitely isn't 'superfast', but is what I'd expect.

Thanks Derek, just checked :- download 7.84mb/s, upload 0.47 mb/s.

That brush is still stuck ! She's going shopping first. Now she'll have to go up in the dark !!

regards

Allen

And I've just got the chimney sweep brush stuck...guess where. But, it's ok, I'll send the wife up when she comes home from work !

Seriously though, I'm with Orange, & whatever it was called before (approx 8 yrs). I've got broadband + free calls after a certain time (not sure when, rarely used it). I'm paying £10 / month.

And the brush really is stuck.

Ditto, but my brush is not stuck (yet). Been with Orange since Wanadoo. Had same probs with drops of connection, complained, They renewed my Livebox router with a Netgear router. No probs since.

Ian

regards

Allen

I've been with Orange (previously Wanadoo) and had the same problem with network dropping out.

I eventually got to speak to a helpful guy (it pays to persist)

He advised that when the |Router is left switched on, the speed gradually decreases & drop out becomes more of a common occurance.

His solution, - Switch off the Router for a few hours each month. His advise was that in almost all instances this will reset the Router & speed will improve.

It's worked for me for over 2 years, without dropping out or slowing down, so worth a try if you are struggling.

Guest pelmetman
I'm very pleased with my dongle.................I used to have the little white one which was ok........... but since I upgraded to a big black one...............I've been well impressed with its performance :D

Guest Tracker
colin - 2011-12-05 9:33 PM

Tracker - 2011-12-05 11:14 AM

We have a problem with rabbits in the garden - does anyone have any land mines to spare please.

They are adverse to being hit with high velocity lead ;-)

Thanks Colin - I'll get my beach caster and arm it with a suitably pointy 4 oz lead then and as long as the blighters sit still for long enough I should be able to hit one and reel it in!

Although I hate to praise them I am with Sky.com for broadband and although you get all the crap that everyone gives you when you phone them "You now have four choices" followed by "you now have five choices" followed by " you now have seventeen choices" and so on once you get through to the man that matters then they are good, very good.

Or at least that is what I have found recently

Guest Tracker
I only have two objections about Sky - 1] Murdoch! and 2] cables running around the house linking TV to phone so that they can spy on you - so we do not and will not subscribe to Sky unless both of those objections are removed - plus they will also need to reduce the cost of watching TV most of which I can get for free!

Archived