Do I need a camping carnet

w1ntersun

w1ntersun - 2011-12-06 11:50 AM

Hi,

For the last 2 years I have subscribed to the ASCI card for my stopovers to and from Spain ( winter trip ) and have never been asked to show my camping carnet, leaving the ASCI card with reception.

I know it is only £5 but is it required ?

Richard

Very useful to have if you are NOT on an ACSI site.

The carnet is often retained by site office until you leave - if you don't have one they may ask for your passport.

Haven't read the details lately but I seem to recall that a carnet also gives you third party cover on site.

Mine has always been accepted as proof of identity all over the continent, although the Scandinavians have another card that they prefer you to have.

( Well, Norway and Sweden anyway - not sure about Denmark)

Guest pelmetman

Just received our ACIS book and it came with a voucher for a free camping carnet B-)............

Just signed up online for it, hopefully it will arrive before we go :-S

pelmetman - 2011-12-06 2:24 PM

Just received our ACIS book and it came with a voucher for a free camping carnet B-)............

That is a very useful bonus then particularly for the insurance cover in these days of people seeking accident mitigation e.g. falling over something on your pitch. Was not going to bother with the ACSI book this year as being a lone camper I usually find it cheaper not using the card. However, I may change my mind. Did the card come from the ACSI site or an add on from Vicarious Books?

malc d - 2011-12-06 12:04 PM

w1ntersun - 2011-12-06 11:50 AM

Hi,

For the last 2 years I have subscribed to the ASCI card for my stopovers to and from Spain ( winter trip ) and have never been asked to show my camping carnet, leaving the ASCI card with reception.

I know it is only £5 but is it required ?

Richard

Very useful to have if you are NOT on an ACSI site.

The carnet is often retained by site office until you leave - if you don't have one they may ask for your passport.

Haven't read the details lately but I seem to recall that a carnet also gives you third party cover on site.

Mine has always been accepted as proof of identity all over the continent, although the Scandinavians have another card that they prefer you to have.

( Well, Norway and Sweden anyway - not sure about Denmark)

We have one 'free' as a part of our insurance package. We find it useful if we don't stay on an ACSI site - leave at reception instead of passport, and even at some ACSI sites where they have wanted another form of ID.

What is the Scandinavian card please? Considering a trip to the area maybe next year.

Thank you.

Guest pelmetman
Patricia - 2011-12-06 2:49 PM

pelmetman - 2011-12-06 2:24 PM

That is a very useful bonus then particularly for the insurance cover in these days of people seeking accident mitigation e.g. falling over something on your pitch. Was not going to bother with the ACSI book this year as being a lone camper I usually find it cheaper not using the card. However, I may change my mind. Did the card come from the ACSI site or an add on from Vicarious Books?

Yep.... it was from Vicarious :D

Hi,

ACSI are producing their own version of the Camping Carnet this year (just to confuse matters). It has some insurance cover and as stated previously is free if you buy the ACSI Camping Card discount guide or can be purchased I believe for about €4.

However they state that not all sites will accept it so I'm still going to get the official FICC one that sometimes gives a small discount at sites that aren't in the ACSI scheme

Steve

Gwendolyn

What is the Scandinavian card please? Considering a trip to the area maybe next year.

Thank you.

We got ours a few years ago for touring Sweden and Norway, now so details may have changed, but if you Google

" Camping Card Scandinavia " I think you will get up-to-date info

Can't find mine at the moment but I believe that once bought you can keep using it year after year and just buy a 'year ' sticker at the first site you visit in the next year you use it.

( That used to be how it worked anyhow !)

;-)

Homenaway - 2011-12-06 6:29 PM However they state that not all sites will accept it so I'm still going to get the official FICC one that sometimes gives a small discount at sites that aren't in the ACSI scheme

Steve

Think I will do the same then I can use it anywhere.

Archived