drive away awning

mrs w curry

i am looking for a drive away awning for my bessacar e795. there does not appear to be an awning rail on my van so how do they attach to the van when on site. a supplier for northern ireland would be a bonus if any one knows one ta :->

Hi Mrs Curry We originally tied some gut line to the flap that attatches to the van by sewing some tags (4) to it Then threw the guy lines over the van and pegged them down Then we bought a Safari (Full roof) rack So we removed the guy lines and replaced the tags with TWO webbing straps at each one One strap was mad short to this we fixed the fixed end of a QR buckle. The other strap has the adjustable end of the QR buckle ( i have made this end 1m long - This is passed over the rails of the roof rack, clip them together and adjust the tension

Sounds a retrograde step to me. The best thing we found with the motorhome was that I did'nt need to shout at the Mrs when threading an awning through an awning rail. A wind out the Fiama top and a set of bits for a safari room is ace for an enclosure. This I can do single handedly and I don,t even need anything to stand on. Awning rails are for tuggers. If you want a genuine stand alone unit then get a Gazebo.There are all sizes and qualities on offer at rallies or on the Internet, most with optional sides.

After struggling to put up awnings (both freestanding with a motorhome and a caravan awning) we now have the easy solution - a wind out awning with windbreak wrapped around. This gives us a nice open air awning with (usually) lovely views and plenty of fresh air. david

Hi- I chose the best of both worlds in as much that we have a roll out awning and long windbreak for warm weather particulary when we know we may be on the move. When we know we will be staying awhile say for a few weeks in winter, then a side awning comes into its own. What we do is erect it and move it to the side of the van leaving about 3inch gap, when the back entrance is rolled up it closes this gap up, not completly watertight I know, but who really needs that the rain will run down the side of the van causing no real problems. A major benifit of this is that the skirting under the roll up door way is closer , but if you use the nylon tunnel making the skirting further away, you can catch it coming out of the van and have a nasty fall. Food for thought, Chas

hi we have just brought a drive away, basically a tent that side folds up by motorhome door and with another side behind that that goes over your roof, then couple of guide ropes over roof and nice and secure, to drive away remove bit over roof, remove van and zip down creating a tent, no j rail f rail or anything else totally self standing tent, great to dump tennage kids for day, fishing tackle, chairs etc, without hassle of packing away, no holes drilled in van, but cost was high £700 but included a bedroom annex, reason we wanted it, have several kids that occasionaly want to come and tag along, but we wanted a small ish van Elddis 150 that was great for two/4 at a push, so we take awning if additional space required if not leave it at home, but means we don't have to pack way each day to pop out, we had wind out, on a previous van, but ended up taking a small tent to pack away fishing stuff etc, but had to have bigger van all the time to get five birth, this way we feel we have best of both worlds, awning takes about 15 mins to put up, as it is poles etc, and quite heavy but is a true drive away, also because our door is at front, (we have rear lounge) we needed the highest awning available, ours is Eurovent model

Archived