Braithwaite Fold

bromleyxphil

I booked my cc sites this morning but couldn't get Braithwaite fold on the internet. I eventualy got through on the phone to be told the contract is up and they don't know if they will run it this year (WHY NOT PUT THAT ON THE WEB?) by the time I found out Low Park Wood was full :-(

Phil

It's evidently 'owned' by the local council, who lease it to the CC or a management agreement ??

anyway, it's really handy as it's only a short walk into the local amenities, downside: You do feel a bit 'crowded in' and the pitches aren't the 'Normal' CC size, But it will be a great loss from the CC circuit of sites. As it was good for Motorhome users. Not all of them are. Ray

I do blame peeps like you :-D

CC booking system is daft IMO folk pre book stuff then dont use it, I know cos I have been guilty of it myself. I think that sites should keep a percentage of pitches available for last minute booking and or folk turning up on spec surely that is what its all about as in going away were you want when you want however last few years it seems to have got increasingly difficult to do that :-S

I agree, I think a Third of all available pitches should only be pre-bookable two weeks in advance and at least 10 should be unbookable completely.

That would keep Caravan Club sites from becoming 'Holiday Home Parks' in all but name, What with 'Seasonal Pitches' and 'Store and Pitch', at least they haven't 'sunk' to putting 'Timber lodges' onto their sites like the CCC have. >:-( Ray

ips - 2011-12-09 4:32 PM

I do blame peeps like you :-D

CC booking system is daft IMO folk pre book stuff then dont use it, I know cos I have been guilty of it myself. I think that sites should keep a percentage of pitches available for last minute booking and or folk turning up on spec surely that is what its all about as in going away were you want when you want however last few years it seems to have got increasingly difficult to do that :-S

Why blame the likes of us? We simply book all our holidays well in advance with every intention of using them and have done so for years. This year was the first time we have ever had to cancel due to sudden medical problems. If you want to book at the last minute or turn up on spec that's your choice and you simply have to take your chances. For the club to keep pitches for last minute bookings or people turning up on spec would simply result in more empty pitches. I do agree that those who book pitches and then don't turn up if the weather looks bad or their toe hurts need to be stopped and the club have gone some way to trying to stop this. I also agree that in time gone by this was possible but times have changed mainly due to the increased popularity of motor homes and caravans I'm afraid it's no use moaning about this and simply accept the situation as it is and adapt to it.

Rayjsj - 2011-12-09 5:04 PM

I agree, I think a Third of all available pitches should only be pre-bookable two weeks in advance and at least 10 should be unbookable completely.

That would keep Caravan Club sites from becoming 'Holiday Home Parks' in all but name, What with 'Seasonal Pitches' and 'Store and Pitch', at least they haven't 'sunk' to putting 'Timber lodges' onto their sites like the CCC have. >:-( Ray

Why?

Given that we often go off for five weeks at a time this would hardly be helpful.

I presume that with more unoccupied pitches that this would produce you would support the necessary increase in site fees to cover the fixed costs. No. I thought not.

Colin Leake - 2011-12-09 7:18 PM

Rayjsj - 2011-12-09 5:04 PM

Why?

Given that we often go off for five weeks at a time this would hardly be helpful.

I presume that with more unoccupied pitches that this would produce you would support the necessary increase in site fees to cover the fixed costs. No. I thought not.

I don't think that the pitches would be 'Unoccupied' . As you have said, Motorhoming and Caravanning has become very popular, I believe that they would still 'Fill up' but they wouldn't be 'Full' months in advance. as is often the case now. And would bring back a bit of 'spontaneity' into touring.

ALL members deserve a share of the sites available. Not everyone CAN book months in advance.

Ray

• 2 months later...
Guest JudgeMental
HWO - 2012-02-13 7:45 PM

Hi

Booked a few nights here today on the Camping Clubs website

HWO

The thread is 15 months old :-D

I had a look a couple of days ago thinking we might go in April guess what?? yes youve guessed fully booked >:-( you know what I feel like cancelling both clubs as we have so much trouble getting on anywhere!! unless you can book up at Christmas I say forget it.

That's Interesting, The C&CC have 'taken it over' that's better than it being 'lost' and turned into a 'Car park' anyway. It always was a good site for Motorhomes, better for them than Caravans really as Caravanners always seem to require 'more room' , with large awnings etc., and the 'pitches' were always a bit on the 'small' side.

As to 'foward booking' , I think that 'Touring clubs' as both C&CC and the CC are ' Supposed to be' should always 'keep back' a few 'Overnight' or 'max 3 days' pitches, for just 'such' Members.

The C&CC only takes bookings with a deposit, and the CC now has a 72 hour minimum cancellation notice. OR ALL future bookings get cancelled. Which seems fair to me.

As for us, We are retired ,so can choose when we go away, and choose NOT to go away on Bank Holidays or School Holidays if we we can possibly avoid it. ;-) Ray

PS. I wouldn't have thought there was much room for Tents at Braithwaite Fold ??

Rayjsj - 2012-02-14 11:03 AM

the CC now has a 72 hour minimum cancellation notice. OR ALL future bookings get cancelled. Which seems fair to me.

That isn't accurate.

To quote from February's CC magazine:

"Members who cancel inside 72 hours, or fail to turn up at a booked pitch, three timesduring 2012 will forfeit their ability to book for 14 days - any forward bookings will also be cancelled."

It is a step in the right direction against the "no shows" and those who book many dates and then cancel frequently at the last minute.

The Caravan Club lost the site last month

The Camping Club have took over the running of the site this month.

I was just letting anybody who was interested know that you can now book

HWO

Thanks for posting that information which was helpful. I wasn't aware that CCC had taken it over. I haven't been on CCC website for a while and I don't think that there was anyting in either January or February CCC magazine. (Without your post I wouldn't have known - I'm sure there were others also.)

Thanks.

mel wood - 2012-02-14 11:25 AM

Rayjsj - 2012-02-14 11:03 AM

the CC now has a 72 hour minimum cancellation notice. OR ALL future bookings get cancelled. Which seems fair to me.

That isn't accurate.

To quote from February's CC magazine:

"Members who cancel inside 72 hours, or fail to turn up at a booked pitch, three timesduring 2012 will forfeit their ability to book for 14 days - any forward bookings will also be cancelled."

It is a step in the right direction against the "no shows" and those who book many dates and then cancel frequently at the last minute.

I remember reading this and thinking WHAT A WASTE OF TIME >:-( 14 days ban on booking thats not going to bother them!! they book too many sites anyway I call that a slap on the wrist. If people have a genuine reason like illness for not turning up thats a different matter but I dont think you should be able to prebook more than 2 or 3 sites at a time.

Archived