Caravan Club booking problem for Easter

spospe

Has anyone else had problems booking for Easter 2012?

I have been trying all morning to book directly with Ferry Meadows, but the warden there says that the "system is down" and that they are "waiting for an email from East Grinstead".

This is about the third year in a row that the CC has had problems on day one - two of the opening of the booking season; or is it just me? :'(

DESCO - 2011-12-08 11:50 AM

Why are you surprised it's just the usual CC booking procedure, never known it work but they don't care as usual

Why do people insist on making comments like this? The CC system is usually very good and they will certainly care if bookings cannot be made. The system was certainly down on Wednesday when we left Rowntree park as they were writing everything down by hand. The wardens were doing their best to cope and seemed to think it would be back pretty quickly.

Unfortunately Rupert its a fact of life. The CCC system is no better and over the years I have tried to book a ferry on line and have never succeeded. If they would only simplify their procedures, rather than trying to accumulate data for mail shots then it might work. As an example I can book direct with P&O very easily. Before CCC can even give me a price they want the date of birth etc for every passenger all of which is irrelevant at the point of getting a price. You draw it to there attention and its a waste of time. Perhaps posts like this may make them buck up but I doubt it, they just loose trade

rupert123 - 2011-12-08 12:55 PM

Why are you surprised it's just the usual CC booking procedure, never known it work but they don't care as usual

Why do people insist on making comments like this? The CC system is usually very good and they will certainly care if bookings cannot be made. The system was certainly down on Wednesday when we left Rowntree park as they were writing everything down by hand. The wardens were doing their best to cope and seemed to think it would be back pretty quickly.

People make comments like this as neither club cares, try contacting either and you get a fob off reply and nothing changes, its not the wardens they have to work with what they are given it's the faceless ones at head office who don't care as they get paid regardless, and never meet the people who have to use the system.

sshortcircuit - 2011-12-08 1:10 PM

Unfortunately Rupert its a fact of life. The CCC system is no better and over the years I have tried to book a ferry on line and have never succeeded. If they would only simplify their procedures, rather than trying to accumulate data for mail shots then it might work. As an example I can book direct with P&O very easily. Before CCC can even give me a price they want the date of birth etc for every passenger all of which is irrelevant at the point of getting a price. You draw it to there attention and its a waste of time. Perhaps posts like this may make them buck up but I doubt it, they just loose trade

No idea about the CCC system, have never belonged to it so never used it. I have belonged to the CC however for some years, we use it less these days as we spend most time in Europe, but would not consider staying anywhere else in the UK if a CC site was near where we wanted to be. As the thread is about site bookings with the CC not sure where your ferry bookings with the CCC come into it. I have never, ever, had any problem with their booking system, either booking direct or telephoneing the site, so it is certainly not a 'fact of life' with me.

DESCO - 2011-12-08 2:18 PM

People make comments like this as neither club cares, try contacting either and you get a fob off reply and nothing changes, its not the wardens they have to work with what they are given it's the faceless ones at head office who don't care as they get paid regardless, and never meet the people who have to use the system.

Completely mystified by this, explain please. You try to make a booking and someone fobs you off, cannot see it. I have never had a problem with the system, and neither have a few others judging by posts on this thread, perhaps you need to look at yourself?

rupert123 - 2011-12-08 2:49 PM

DESCO - 2011-12-08 2:18 PM

Completely mystified by this, explain please. You try to make a booking and someone fobs you off, cannot see it. I have never had a problem with the system, and neither have a few others judging by posts on this thread, perhaps you need to look at yourself?

Did not say booking said contacting try complaining on any matter and see how you get on

DESCO - 2011-12-08 3:02 PM

[Did not say booking said contacting try complaining on any matter and see how you get on

That is completely the opposite to my experience of contacting the Caravan Club. I have always got a full response to any questions I have asked and they have often provided even more information when I have gone back to them.

David

To the OP, from another forum where a poster was experiencing similar difficulties it would appear the CC been swamped by those making their wholesale bookings, whether they use them or not is another question.

Unfortunately both clubs will have those who have no difficulties and those that it just does not work for and that's just a fact of life

We book all our holidays on the first day every year and up to last year have always used them. Last year a back problem and hernia ment we had to cancel two holidays. Thanks to the CC system with no penalty. Booked some later holidays to replace them when I recovered enough to drive. Hate to think how much we would have lost if we had been using commercial sites!

Colin Leake - 2011-12-08 5:04 PM

We book all our holidays on the first day every year and up to last year have always used them. Last year a back problem and hernia ment we had to cancel two holidays. Thanks to the CC system with no penalty. Booked some later holidays to replace them when I recovered enough to drive. Hate to think how much we would have lost if we had been using commercial sites!

Colin be careful what you post, some time ago i posted a similar response to yours when i had a suddeen change of circumstances and had to cancel. I got called selfish and had the I'm alright Jack attitude by a couple on here.

back to the OP I've never had a problem using the website for booking but then I've never tried on the first day of the new seasons availability.

I thought that it might have been just me with a problem, but seemingly not. The good news is that after 5 attempts, I am now sorted.

As long as the CC has this system of having an opening date for the booking season, than I suspect the problems will continue year after year. So why do they have an opening date?

spospe - 2011-12-08 5:37 PM

As long as the CC has this system of having an opening date for the booking season, than I suspect the problems will continue year after year. So why do they have an opening date?

They have an opening date otherwise people would just book as far in advance as they could and it would not allow others to get a 'look-in'. By having a 'start date' at least it is, in theory, a level playing field (or should that be pitch! :D ) when everyone knows the gates are open and they can start to book.

Of course, it could be that they just like to 'taunt' members by making them all wait and then 'suffer' the turmoil of trying to get booked-'in' before everyone else does! Those that then manage to get 'booked-in' have the untold joy of knowing that they are one of the 'chosen ones' and can in turn taunt other members on forums who haven't been so fortunate and are therefore not in the same 'class' as them .... (lol)

MelB

You may well be right in both your suggestions!

I would have thought charging a booking fee would have helped to reduce 'frivolous' bookings (they used to charge a fee years ago and then for some reason or another stopped). Anything to eliminate the annual stampead ;-)

spospe - 2011-12-08 5:37 PM

I thought that it might have been just me with a problem, but seemingly not. The good news is that after 5 attempts, I am now sorted.

I can half the problem for them all they have to do is to have one starting date for pensioners and another for the rest one week later!

Signed

Colin Leake

Aged 70!

I can half the problem for them all they have to do is to have one starting date for pensioners and another for the rest one week later!SignedColin LeakeAged 70!

I think it should be the other way around Pensioners can go anytime they wish  , but working families have to go when working directives allow which can also includes school holidays its these people that should be given priority when booking sites. And before you start throwing your toys from your prams I am retired and would be happy to stand back in line of working families when making site bookings.

Booked everything we wanted (Bank Holidays, mainly) with the CC on line mid morning on 7 December. Booking was all but instant as at any other time of the year with the email confirmations coming early afternoon. Perfect.

I have, in the past, complained to the CC and have always received a detailed, helpful and speedy reply.

FD

kelly58 - 2011-12-09 8:59 AM

I can half the problem for them all they have to do is to have one starting date for pensioners and another for the rest one week later!SignedColin LeakeAged 70!

I think it should be the other way around Pensioners can go anytime they wish  , but working families have to go when working directives allow which can also includes school holidays its these people that should be given priority when booking sites. And before you start throwing your toys from your prams I am retired and would be happy to stand back in line of working families when making site bookings.

We do give August a miss as it seems a little unfair to hog sites at the expense of those who have school aged children. During August we look after our own children's dogs etc while they are on holiday.

Archived