Coach Built as opposed to panel vans

Poppy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

Coachbuilt - more usable space, possibly better insulation, often bigger water, gas and battery storage capability, size for size costs less, full height easy to use caravan door, more comfortable and spacious facilities due to non curving side panels, often better beds and lounging for same reason

Panel van - possibly easier to drive and more compact with sloping sides making it easier in tight spaces, potentially but not always more secure, should be cheaper easier to get panels etc and less hassle repairing body damage, more versatile as a load carrier, possibly slightly better mpg

You pays yer money and takes yer choice and I can see the advantages of a PVC but we prefer the inner space, comfort and better capabilities of a coachbuilt for our purposes and it would take a lot to make me pay more for a less convenient van without a very good reason and I can't think of one right now!

I agree on this with Rich. We had 3 years with a panel van, great van no issues but we had failed to factor in our winter use.

Just not big enough for the winter months when more time (for us) is spent in the van when camping.

Enter the coachbuilt, and 8+ years later still delighted.

Each to their own as ever of course but for us it was a no brainer.

Martyn

same size?

I would suggest that by definition a coachbuilt will be wider than a panel van conversion.

We have never owned a coachbuilt so cannot comment from personal experience, however we are on our fifth PVC. Our current ‘van is an Adria Twin. I offer the following thoughts:

We average 33 mpg when touring. Our friends average 25 mpg in their coachbuilt motorhome. I have never checked our mpg ‘around town’ but I would expect a coachbuilt to be worse.

As the ‘caravan section’ of the PVC is an integral and factory built part of the complete vehicle there will be no damp ingress due to leaking joints. No floor de-lamination either.

PVC’s generally are narrower than coachbuilts so better for country lanes and parking. Ours is 5.98m long.

I would also suggest that PVC’s are a little more secure, as they do not have the habitation door.

Not sure how valid a point this is but a few years hence should a section of a coachbuilt's bodywork be damaged then it may be difficult to obtain a replacement from the manufacturer. As the PVC is basically a standard van then a replacement or repair would be easier.

Usually one can see out of the rear window (albeit perhaps a restricted view) in a PVC. Yes rear view ameras are available – but that’s more expense.

A point unrelated to holidays but nevertheless true, over the years we have saved literally hundreds of pounds in delivery charges. The large sliding door and rear doors have enabled us to carry anything from a washing machine to a sofa bed. (I accept that others may not want to use their ‘van as a delivery vehicle but it suited us).

Having said all that, there is no denying that overall there is more room in a coachbuilt. Although with many coachbuilts when the bed is made there is little room left. Also in our opinion, £ for £ you get better value with a coachbuilt.

A few points – there are probably more – and others will no doubt disagree with some of them but PVCs have always suited us.

Cattwg :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2011-12-08 7:48 PM

If you had two vans, same size, layout etc.No difference in price, which one would you choose? Are there advantages/disadvantages to them both?

Panel van every time...Whle it may lose out in some winter capability (most UK coachbuilt likewise) ours has same size tanks, gas locker and the best bed I have ever slept in. Also they are a pleasure to drive with better handling, fuel consumption and manoeuvrability. furthermore no major water ingress issues.

I use mine all the time, whereas the coachbuilt just stood there hemorrhaging money......... :-D

Well I ask because we have a Hobby Van (coachbuilt).We like it very much BUT the lounge area, while good in this type of layout (fixed transverse bed and garage) isn't particularly good if you have to sit in due to bad weather etc.Also the kitchen is a little cramped.Enter an IH panel van.The right length for us as due to parking restrictions we can only have 6.5 metres MAX.The IH is 6.3 metres, has a lovely lounge, brilliant kitchen AND crucially a BOOT for outdoor storage.We are thinking of changing 2012/2013.My husband though, is not sure of the idea of a panel van.It feels spacious inside despite being slightly narrower than our coachbuilt.

Guest JudgeMental
if your going for the longer PVC body have a look at the twin single bed layouts from the likes of Adria & Globecar. Get yourselves to a decent show and spend some time in the various layouts....

As my username suggests we had a Hymer "Van" very similar to your Hobby and we loved it. We used it occasionally to travel to places with friends (four travel seats) ane extensively in Europe. In 2010 we visited the Hymer factory in southern Germany and saw Vans build from start to fiinish in our 90 minute visit. This made us realise how flimsy coachbuilts are and how inherently dangerous a place for rear passengers if the vehicle was rear-ended by another vehicle. The other factor was "lounging". As you identify both our venicles have limitations in that respect. If you search the forums here under "downsizing" you will get a lot of info. Ultimately it is a very personal choice and you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

We came down on the side of a PVC and have a Fifer "M" on order for next year.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Cattwg - 2011-12-08 8:14 PM

same size?

A point unrelated to holidays but nevertheless true, over the years we have saved literally hundreds of pounds in delivery charges. The large sliding door and rear doors have enabled us to carry anything from a washing machine to a sofa bed. (I accept that others may not want to use their ‘van as a delivery vehicle but it suited us).

That is quite a useful feature of panel vans when not on holiday - the ability to carry bulk items.

We've even carried fence panels in ours.

But some panel vans have half the doorway blocked up with furniture so it doesn't apply to all models.

Guest JudgeMental
Involved in our house refurb and van indispensable, lined with hardboard and dust sheets have been to council tip at least 5 times in last month saving me a fortune, plus picking up building materials, bathrooms etc.....

Poppy - 2011-12-09 8:38 AM

Well I ask because we have a Hobby Van (coachbuilt).We like it very much BUT the lounge area, while good in this type of layout (fixed transverse bed and garage) isn't particularly good if you have to sit in due to bad weather etc.Also the kitchen is a little cramped.Enter an IH panel van.The right length for us as due to parking restrictions we can only have 6.5 metres MAX.The IH is 6.3 metres, has a lovely lounge, brilliant kitchen AND crucially a BOOT for outdoor storage.We are thinking of changing 2012/2013.My husband though, is not sure of the idea of a panel van.It feels spacious inside despite being slightly narrower than our coachbuilt.

If you use the storage capacity of your Hobby Van to the full, or even close, I would say check the storage volumes available in any PVC very carefully. As a generalisation, they may have the same number of cupboards, but the usable volumes behind the cupboard doors are likely to be significantly less.

Also, consider gas, water, and fridge capacities, all of which tend to be smaller with PVCs than with coachbuilts.

How much this affects you will depend to some extent on where you use your van, and what you do while away.

We have used ours almost exclusively for travel around mainland Europe in spring and autumn. We have generally been away for 8 - 12 weeks at a time. We got it in late summer 2007, and have now made 7 such trips and, from memory, have only been stuck in the van for an entire day on a handful of occasions, possibly one day per trip, though I think less.

I'm not disputing what you say, and could understand it being a bit claustrophobic if confined to barracks more frequently. However, I'm just wondering if it is the types of van you are considering that are out of step with your preferred locations. You could arguably get more space, but above all much more agreeable space, for about the same cash, with one of the (growingly popular) sub 6.5 metre coachbuilts with central drop down beds, or even a (less plentiful) small A class van. The IH PVCs are up into the same broad price bracket and are relatively more compromised. You might even consider a La Strada Avanti H, that has a drop down bed over a rear lounge that is very similar to the IH Tio RL lounge.

I assume you have been looking at the Tio RL or Oregon RL. At only 4' 0" wide, the Oregon RL bed is really only an oversized single, rather than a full double. What it seems you will lose, is the fixed bed. You will therefore have to dedicate some of your limited storage space to storing bedding in order to use that lounge. Something else to check is whether the "boots" available have the volume of the rear so called "garage" on the Van.

Pur previous motorhome, Rapido 710F was the size ultimate coachbuilt, some 18'6 long,and the width of a panel van, but with coach-built insulation standards,plus more usable space, but much more manoeverable and usaable on smaller roads than our present Burstner. This is the same layout (rear lounge), but much wider and just over 6m long...so still'compact' in MMM terms, though frankly not in ours!

We love the motorhome, don't get me wrong' but if changing in thenext couple of years, would seriously look at the Autocruise Range - I think the Rhythm has the sameinternal configeration,, but is obviously much less roomy,especially in storage terms.

We have had two PVCs, both Autosleepers, and much smaller than any of the other vans we've had, and we managed OK, so guess we could again.

Why do manufacturers have to make coachbuilts so wide...I'm sure there must be a market for the narrower models, and when all is said and done, it's much cheaper to build a coachbuilt than cut and fit around the shapes needed from the PVC!

Keith T - 2011-12-09 1:02 PM

Why do manufacturers have to make coachbuilts so wide...I'm sure there must be a market for the narrower models, and when all is said and done, it's much cheaper to build a coachbuilt than cut and fit around the shapes needed from the PVC!

...........there is a market for the narrower coachbuilt. Poppy(OP), Brian Kirby and myself all have a Hobby Van (although of varying types).

These (along with other "Van" models from such as Hymer), are little wider than a standard PVC.

Having downsized to one, I'm happy that the benefits outweigh any downside (and, having considered PVCs, I'm glad that, as yet, I haven't gone down that route).

I think the answer lies in how you expect to use your motorhome/van.

If lounging is a priority or you wish to use it extensively in the winter months in the UK or enjoy the kind of holidays where you like to spend time indoors or even drive to a site and stay on it for weeks on end then a coachbuilt is by far the best. However, if you intend to be out and about, tour around and/or live outside in the summer months or spend time abroad then a panel van is better. I use mine mainly for sleeping as the rest of the time I spend out of doors even if this involves only sitting outside under an awning/blind.

A panel van can be very comfortable but there is more room in a coachbuilt. The driving experience is far better in a panel van with almost car like performance and panel vans are more economical to service and own as well as commanding a high resale value. They are less obtrusive when parked at home and are easier to manoeuvre in and out of your driveway. They are becoming more popular.

I believe coachbuilts come with certain problems such as a risk of water ingress. I've owned 2 caravans which were virtually destroyed by damp and they are more expensive to repair if the bodywork requires attention. The main problem with some damp issues is that there can be hidden damp which only materialise after much damage has been done making some repairs very expensive to undertake.

Looking at the two side by side many people ask why anyone would buy a panel van over a coachbuilt. On the face of it there is no comparison but looking at the situation in the round its a panel van for me every time. We all have different priorities so the decision is yours and yours alone to make depending on proposed useage.

Guest Peter James
Poppy - 2011-12-09 8:38 AM

.The IH is 6.3 metres, has a lovely lounge, brilliant kitchen AND crucially a BOOT for outdoor storage.

I don't know why so few converters use the X250 L4 panel van (6.3m). I'm delighted with mine. I understand Autosleeper etc use no bigger than the L3 with 2 cubic metres less room.

Robinhood - 2011-12-09 3:05 PM

Keith T - 2011-12-09 1:02 PM

...........there is a market for the narrower coachbuilt. Poppy(OP), Brian Kirby and myself all have a Hobby Van (although of varying types).

These (along with other "Van" models from such as Hymer), are little wider than a standard PVC.

Having downsized to one, I'm happy that the benefits outweigh any downside (and, having considered PVCs, I'm glad that, as yet, I haven't gone down that route).

The Bentley Artisan range are quite narrow at 2.20 metres. and compare favourably width wise with X250 panel van based PVC's.

I agree about panel availability ,further on in the vans life. (I have an Autocruise Coachbuilt)

I am quite happy with our Small (6m) Coachbuilt, a PVC with the same layout might interest me later on though. At the moment The only 'New' Van that would suit me would be a Bentley Cobalt.

Ray

Our use may change.Currently we use it for one month on continent plus many weekends and short breaks in the UK.OH is reducing working hours again so we may have two trips to continent.Its the TIO RL we like the look of.Upsides, good lounge, seperate front seating/dining area, small but adequate boot and an interior that feels like a coachbuilt.Beds can be 2 singles or quite large (and easily made up double).Bathroom small but adequate (we mainly use campsites).Fridge adequate.Storage seems good.We like to tour.

Over the years we’ve always had PVCs and up until a few years ago were usually the odd one out.

Whilst it is true that coachbuilds still far outnumber PVCs we have noticed over the last few years that PVCs have become more and more popular, at home and abroad. One reason could be that panel vans have become longer and slightly wider over recent years.

Also the perceived advantages highlighted in replies to this post have undoubtedly become more accepted.

Cattwg :-D

Poppy - 2011-12-09 5:01 PM

Our use may change.Currently we use it for one month on continent plus many weekends and short breaks in the UK.OH is reducing working hours again so we may have two trips to continent.Its the TIO RL we like the look of.Upsides, good lounge, seperate front seating/dining area, small but adequate boot and an interior that feels like a coachbuilt.Beds can be 2 singles or quite large (and easily made up double).Bathroom small but adequate (we mainly use campsites).Fridge adequate.Storage seems good.We like to tour.

What a great van this looks Poppy. The only one I have seen that has a proper job done on the rear, not some bodge up job with the rear doors kept in place, you can pretty much specify what you want with them to, very helpfull people. My wife and I are looking at a new van next year and after counting out importing one, not worth the bother, have decided to go to a panel van. Our reasons include a couple that probably do not matter to most. We to want a rear lounge for sitting inside, as others do we spend a lot of time in Europe sitting outside but as you get into mid September to Mid October we spend more time inside and like the comfort of the rear lounge. I cannot see us huddled around a poky dinette arrangement. Our scooter is essential to us, we did not realise how much until this year when we did the high alps route and decided to leave it at home, big mistake, it really seemed to restrict us. Would like a bigger scooter but the only way we can carry the weight is on something like the Ezetow. This on our current small coachbuilt is a non starter because of the swing ratio behind the rear wheels. The only way we can do it is with a panel van. Our current van is only six mtrs long so we are happy with the space a panel van will provide, unfortunatly cannot afford a new IH so will go for one of the other British built vans or a used IH which are the best we have seen and will give us the rear lounge.

It's coach built for use mainly due to the extra space and particularly the storage capacity plus the better insulation and the general aura of luxury the does not seem to exist in any panel van conversion I have ever seen. However there are two areas where we envy them. One is the drivability and the other is the ability to slide the side door open in hot weather. If we do ever go for a panel van conversion it will be the big IH. joby on the Merc chassis.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Have had two coachbuilts, and two PVC's, both have good points and their bad points, on balance our present PVC is just about perfect, and quite luxurious as well, check out a good used IH with the one piece rear end replacing drafty doors like ours, very secure and cosy too, but I do think the new cost is a bit over the top.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Have had two coachbuilts, and two PVC's, both have good points and their bad points, on balance our present PVC is just about perfect, and quite luxurious as well, check out a good used IH with the one piece rear fibre glass rear end replacing the factory fitted drafty rear doors like ours, very secure and cosy too, but I do think the new cost is a bit over the top. One big plus we noticed was a complete absence of "conversion noise" rattles drive me mad, plus it handles very much like a car, with good fuel consumption.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Have had two coachbuilts, and two PVC's, both have good points and their bad points, on balance our present PVC is just about perfect, and quite luxurious as well, check out a good used IH with the one piece rear fibre glass rear end replacing the factory fitted drafty rear doors like ours, very secure and cosy too, but I do think the new cost is a bit over the top. One big plus we noticed was a complete absence of "conversion noise" rattles drive me mad, plus it handles very much like a car, with good fuel consumption.

Sorry folks, God knows why that happened :$ :$ :$

Archived