A quick poll

Dr Dave

A quick poll  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

robertandjean - 2011-12-11 4:56 PM

Now, now Brian you really must stop this aire bashing! In any case it could not have been an aire because unlike those "site things" you do not have to book months in advance, suffer grumpy wardens, be told where to pitch etc.

Now, now Robert and Jean you really must stop giving people the impression that you "have to" book sites.

:-D

Barryd999 - 2011-12-11 10:56 AM

A tenner is just about the max I will pay if I have to for parking our van. I still wouldnt stay on a Club site though. I just dont see the point in paying a fortune for a self sufficient motorhome to then go and pay loads more money to park it in a concrete jungle surrounded by loads of other vans and tuggers.

I have never seen one that appeals and to be honest even if they were free I wouldnt use them

Well that just about sums up my thinking to with the exception of some Forestry Commission sites The C&CC run where I will occasional grace them with my presence.

I am a member of both clubs but only for the CS's & CL's and the number of those are getting silly charging £12-£15 a night insisting you pay for electricity you don't want.

Like Rich we try and do most of our camping south of Calais where they appreciate Motorhomes visiting their towns & villages.

Now, now Brian you really must stop this aire bashing! In any case it could not have been an aire because unlike those "site things" you do not have to book months in advance, suffer grumpy wardens, be told where to pitch etc.

Possibly it was a municipal aire in Wigan? :-)

Guest Tracker

The last time we used a club site, which admittedley was a few years ago now, we parked up on the alloted pitch, got out before fridge and kettle on time, walked around found a nicer spot, I went and courteously asked the manager if he had any objections to us moving and he didn't - so we did!

kelly58 - 2011-12-11 8:56 AM

Why do some sites charge extra for dogs ? I am not a dog owner , so it doe's not apply to me ,but if I was and had paid to have my dog with me would it be acceptable for me to take my dog into the showers for a wash down as I am paying for the facilities when paying for the dog .

Slightly off topic , but just curious..

If my Labrador has to pay a charge, she expects, heated showers, a good Dog walk that doesn't turn into a Mud bath at the first rain. And Courtesy from the Wardens. Oh yes, and perfumed bins to put 'her business' in. *-) Ray

malc d - 2011-12-11 5:00 PM

Now, now Robert and Jean you really must stop giving people the impression that you "have to" book sites.

Well Malc you try getting on Club sites like Rowntree Park in York without booking months ahead. Yes there are many sites like, for example, Municipal sites in France that you do not need to book on and we are more than happy to agree if that is the point you are making. But it does not detract from the substantive piont that use aires and you never need to book or encounter "troublesome" wardens.

Brian Kirby - 2011-12-11 5:49 PM

More like one of those awful coastal sites in Sussex!!

robertandjean - 2011-12-11 8:27 PM

Well Malc you try getting on Club sites like Rowntree Park in York without booking months ahead. Yes there are many sites like, for example, Municipal sites in France that you do not need to book on and we are more than happy to agree if that is the point you are making. But it does not detract from the substantive piont that use aires and you never need to book or encounter "troublesome" wardens.

That is not quite the point that I am making.

I have been camping all over the U.K - and on the continent from the North Cape of Norway down to Portugal, and Croatia, over for many years, on all sorts of sites from two star municipals to four star all singing, all dancing sites, and have NEVER booked a site.

In the last few years it's been in low season but before that was in school holidays.

So my point is that people who happen to prefer aires should not keep pushing the misleading idea that all campsites require booking.

By the way, I also use aires occasionally -

;-)

... the misleading idea that all campsites require booking

Indeed not. CCC wardens for example try to make sure they have a few spaces for "off roaders" though they might be inclined to huff and puff when asked for one. I must get round to asking the CCC if that is club policy or a warden initiative, either way it will be "at warden's discretion". These pitches aren't guaranteed and won't be in prime spots at busy times of course but on the occasions we've turned up on spec we've never yet been refused. I agree wardens do vary from delightful to grumpy or even officious but look around on this site - that's people isn't it?

robertandjean - 2011-12-11 8:31 PM

I defer to your superior knowledge! :-D

malc d - 2011-12-11 8:39 PM

robertandjean - 2011-12-11 8:27 PM

That is not quite the point that I am making.

I have been camping all over the U.K - and on the continent from the North Cape of Norway down to Portugal, and Croatia, over for many years, on all sorts of sites from two star municipals to four star all singing, all dancing sites, and have NEVER booked a site.

In the last few years it's been in low season but before that was in school holidays.

So my point is that people who happen to prefer aires should not keep pushing the misleading idea that all campsites require booking.

By the way, I also use aires occasionally -

We too in almost 30 years of motorhoming have camped all over the U.K.. and much of Europe from Portugal to North Cape through Eastern Europe, Sicilly and most places inbetween. And yes often staying on campsites, particularly when the children were with us, and like you we never booked. But now in the U.K. if you want to stay on many U.K. sites, in particular Club sites, then you do need to book. We just find it so much easier, and more relaxing, to potter round France using the aires. We know many prefer campsites and in this season of goodwill we are more than happy to wish all a grate time using their motorhome no matter if using sites or aires. (But to be honest aires are motorhoming the way God intended!!!).

;-)

Brian Kirby - 2011-12-12 2:36 PM

robertandjean - 2011-12-11 8:31 PM

I defer to your superior knowledge! :-D

A good response Brian, Happy Chistmas to you!

robertandjean - 2011-12-12 8:17 PM

A good response Brian, Happy Chistmas to you!

......well, the gloves are really off now, Brian!

Urban Dictionary:

Chist

A chist is a conditon caused by fatness. It's when one's chin extends down into the chest and becomes a single entity, a jiggling indistinguishable sloping mass of lard.

Some people really do know how to insult, don't they!

:-) :-) ;-)

Rayjsj - 2011-12-10 9:56 PM

I dropped out of the C&CC NOT because of site prices, but because We like to choose an Empty Pitch ourselves, NOT be allocated one by the (un) Friendly 'Site Manager'. And we thought some of their sites were 'tatty' for the money charged. so, I won't vote, I wouldn't go to them anyway, whatever the price. :D Ray

'Riff Raff' ? you have been watching too much 'Basil Fawlty'.

I have never had any problems with the CCC clubsites, never found the staff unfriendly and never encountered "riff-raff" all in all we are well satisfied.

Archived