REMI aftermarket blinds

postnote

I was contemplating replacing the as standard but basic Bustner supplied windscreen and cab window blinds with REMI’s.

Has anyone fitted to them in a Ducato cab as an after market accessory, if so what problems if any did they experience during installation and was it worth the financial outlay.

Guest Tracker

I bought a set of windscreen and door blinds secondhand and fitting them even without instructions was very simple and just needed a modicum of common sense.

So if you have a minimum of a modicum of common sense - and there are those on here that might dispute that - you should not find it too demanding!

They were pretty tricky until we persuaded (really!) Remis to provide full English instructions along with in-progress photos. These now come with all new units. Many customers report a fairly easy fit of about an hour and a half. A minority do ring to tell us they've had a quick look on receipt and it will never work in their 'van!  Scissors and Sellotape it ain't. Easy to use for quick blackout and privacy but not particularly insulating off season, the later versions are less obstructing of your field of view than the originals. You might want to look at the Seitz too.

Guest Tracker

Are we talking about the same thing here Neil as I found them very easy to fit - with no instructions but they were pre assembled having just been removed from a van being sold?

Ours are the older type with a folding arm each end of the windscreen and a single vertical rising blind, but the side windows look to be unchanged?

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/pdf/RemiFront2DucatoBoxer.pdf

Tracker - 2011-12-11 3:23 PM

I bought a set of windscreen and door blinds secondhand and fitting them even without instructions was very simple and just needed a modicum of common sense.

So if you have a minimum of a modicum of common sense - and there are those on here that might dispute that - you should not find it too demanding!

Genuine question Tracker, play nice. I heard you can be a nice man or are you really an antagonist as other say. ?

postnote - 2011-12-10 11:09 PM

I was contemplating replacing the as standard but basic Bustner supplied windscreen and cab window blinds with REMI’s.

Has anyone fitted to them in a Ducato cab as an after market accessory, if so what problems if any did they experience during installation and was it worth the financial outlay.

Hi Postnote -

My 2007 Burstner Marano was factory fitted with them as standard, although I believe later models were not, and simply had curtains. However, we have been well pleased with them, although for cold weather use still add an external insulated screen cover.

I don;t know what make they are, but I would be interested to know why you are consdering fitting alternatives? The only thing I have found with ours is that the cab side window ones can tend to rattle, and I have had to put some spacers in on the widow frame to stop this happening.Other than that I think the unsulation properties are acceptable,and so far no problems with durability and that's in use of over 800 nights in total!.

Keith T - 2011-12-11 11:31 PM

Hi Postnote -

My 2007 Burstner Marano was factory fitted with them as standard, although I believe later models were not, and simply had curtains. However, we have been well pleased with them, although for cold weather use still add an external insulated screen cover.

I don;t know what make they are, but I would be interested to know why you are consdering fitting alternatives? The only thing I have found with ours is that the cab side window ones can tend to rattle, and I have had to put some spacers in on the widow frame to stop this happening.Other than that I think the unsulation properties are acceptable,and so far no problems with durability and that's in use of over 800 nights in total!.

The Burstner original supplied are little more than two sided material that clips on and hangs down allowing condensation to form on the windscreen and side windows. I thought that the REMI ones that fit closer to the glass would eliminate this.

postnote - 2011-12-12 12:10 AM

Keith T - 2011-12-11 11:31 PM

Hi Postnote -

The Burstner original supplied are little more than two sided material that clips on and hangs down allowing condensation to form on the windscreen and side windows. I thought that the REMI ones that fit closer to the glass would eliminate this.

Remis blinds will not help at all with condensation, we still use external screens from October until the end of April.

Tracker - 2011-12-11 4:48 PMAre we talking about the same thing here Neil as I found them very easy to fit - with no instructions but they were pre assembled having just been removed from a van being sold?Ours are the older type with a folding arm each end of the windscreen and a single vertical rising blind, but the side windows look to be unchanged?http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/pdf/RemiFront2DucatoBoxer.pdf]

I didn't have any difficulty with mine but we used to get quite a few phone calls from people who did. The virgin product is/was not pre-assembled. Instructions with graphics are plainly a big help for the DIY community where limited experience and/or skills might apply. We do always get some enquirers/customers who are horrified at the idea of using a screwdriver let alone a right angled screwdriver and horror of horrors - drilling holes. In fact I'd say drilling holes is the major DIY obstacle.

When we first stated selling these, Remis only put in a perfunctory set of instructions in German and even those weren't always included. We persuaded their helpful UK manager to come up with a translation initially and we published that on our site straightaway. Later he went on to let us have some much better instructions initially as a draft in Word which we converted to pdf and again published on-line.

Later versions have been readily available on the Remis website site and are included with the packed product but with their website apparently now going minimalist we might soon be publishing again ourselves.

'The Burstner original supplied are little more than two sided material that clips on and hangs down allowing condensation to form on the windscreen and side windows. I thought that the REMI ones that fit closer to the glass would eliminate this.'

Postnote -

I wonder if these are different from the Burstner factory fit I have then.....the winsdcreen and side window blinds are on rails top and bottom, and as close to the windows as they could be.The front ones clip back to the frame at the side of the windscreen. Yes there is some condensation under some circumstances, but nothing like we used to get even when using the internal screen. As I mentioned we find for winter use we still add the extenral insulated covers, and find this the best compromise. In fact during 'hot' summer conditions (abroad!) we use a single skin external cover as this reduces the heat to the front of the van considerably.

Having seen other stayles of blinds on various motorhomes, I don't think any are significantly differnt to those Burstner fitted in ours..

I had them fitted as an expensive extra They restrict your view when driving and are noisy they do nothing for condensation for that you need outside screens.They are also quite flimsy in my opinion I would not waste your money on them buy some outside screens instead

Guest Tracker

They don't stop condensation when it's cold but they do reduce it a bit, and as stated they can reduce visibility out of the cab side windows - but not dangerously so and you do get used to it!

The older vertical blinds with folding side arms do not restrict forward vision at all but I suspect that the newer 'improved' sideways sliding blinds would be quite intrusive each side of the windscreen?

I fitted a complete set of cab blinds to our Peugeot X250. The blinds to the doors are easy to fit and just involve drilling about six holes for the self tapping screws. The screen blind was quite difficult to fit as our Peugeot has a full width high level parcel shelf which has to be removed and modified with a craft knife in front of the rear view mirror - not a job for the feint hearted. Likewise, the Remis pelmet has to be modified in a similar fashion immediately in front of the mirror. The whole procedure took me the best part of a day.

However, I don't think that the very latest Peugeot cabs have the parcel shelf and Fiat cabs definitely don't. So fitting them in these should be relatively easy and should take an hour or two.

We find them the most useful accessory we've fitted as they only take around 20 seconds to close them all. In fact we leave them closed whenever we leave the vehicle as it does provide a degree of security as nobody can see whether or not we're in the van. Yes, they are, by their very nature, quite flimsy, but treated properly I would expect them to last 10 years or so. Their restriction on the view ahead is not affected and there is a very marginal loss of vision through the drivers door window. I don't find it a problem.

In the warmer months we don't bother with the external screen and just use the blinds. Obviously, at this time of the year, an external screen would be necessary as the blinds are not designed to provide any thermal insulation. If they are correctly fitted they shouldn't cause any noise. I would suspect, in jhorf's case, the door blind casing might be in contact with the plastic trim around the door surround and squeaking with the flexing of the vehicle.

I bought ours from Wildax who were by far the cheapest.

A couple of years back I posted an article about installing them on MHF. Have a look here -

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopict-74971-.html

Tracker - 2011-12-12 12:59 PM

They don't stop condensation when it's cold but they do reduce it a bit, and as stated they can reduce visibility out of the cab side windows - but not dangerously so and you do get used to it!

The older vertical blinds with folding side arms do not restrict forward vision at all but I suspect that the newer 'improved' sideways sliding blinds would be quite intrusive each side of the windscreen?

Do not notice them on the windscreen the side fitting are very compact but as said you do get a slightly restricted view of the drivers door mirror but you soon get used to it.

Our previous van had the side arm (older) style Blind, which draw up from bottom of the screen

Current van has the side fitted Blinds (newer) style, which draw across the screen & meet in the middle.

We found the older style with the Side Arms more intrusive to view whilst driving.

Neither stop condensation in cold weather, but do reduce heat build up in hot weather.

If you want to keep condensation to a minimum, External Screens are the answer, IMO.

We fitted Remi blinds, ours dont obscure the view at all as they fold neatly inside the cassette and lock, the only thing that had to be altered was the rear view mirror which O.H took off and extended the arm so they were easier to close behind it. The side rattle was easy to solve with a couple of inch and a half black elastic with velcro fasteners which are quick to put on and take off, storing at night fastened around the steering wheel.

Guest Tracker
flicka - 2011-12-12 9:30 PM

We found the older style with the Side Arms more intrusive to view whilst driving.

Can I ask how so John as on ours the side arms in which the blind rises up unclip and fold down flat onto the top of the lowered blind when not in use and do not add anything to the windscreen pillars - or are your blinds different to mine?

Archived