ACSI cards in UK

Keith T

Just received the 2012 ACSI guide/card and I see there are a number of sites in UK which are in this scheme. The prices are quoted in Euros (mostly €16 per night),but i wonder whether the payement would be made in Euros to the site, or do they use a fixed conversion (or variable one) rate, and then charge a fee for this?

Personally, as I have a Euro account, I would be happy to pay them in that currency,but am somewhat intrugued as to the real cost.

Anyone used their card in the Uk and what was their experience of this?

I used an ACSI site in Cornwall last year and they charged me £13 at a 13 euro site. I questioned this with them and pointed out their was not a price given in pounds so they should convert, they refused. I telephoned the ACSI next day and they clearly stated the UK site should convert to the Euro/Pound rate and they would telephone the site and 'put them right' on this. I have no idea if they did and have had no reason to use one since. I suspect any UK site will charge in Pounds unless the ACSI have made the situation clear.

Has anyone noticed there are no sites in East Anglia, The North or Central areas in the England who accept the ACSI cards?

On contrast there are hundreds accross France-top to bottom!

Opologies for going off topic-just intrigued by lack of take up in the UK

Your thoughts?

Mike

We stayed at two UK ACSI sites this year, one in Chichester Lakeside and the other was Unity in Brean. Both charged us the equivalent exchange rate against the Euro which worked out quite cheap as the ACSI card price includes electric, showers and a dog which some sites charge extra for. The Lakeside was not very friendly towards ACSI customers and lumped us altogether although there was loads of space on site. Unity just treated us like everyone else only we paid less. The reason other sites dont join is they want £25 TO £30 a night and dont see why they should give discounts.

Mike B. - 2011-12-11 12:30 PMHas anyone noticed there are no sites in East Anglia, The North or Central areas in the England who accept the ACSI cards?On contrast there are hundreds accross France-top to bottom!Opologies for going off topic-just intrigued by lack of take up in the UKYour thoughts?Mike

Doe's " Rip Off Britain " ring any bells

We was thinking of using ACSI card at the whit holiday as the OH is a school teacher, but found those dates were excluded on the english sites but plenty available in france...why is this. Anyway decided to use our tesco vouchers and book a tunnel crossing and use our ACSI card in france and it also lets us loose in the french supermarkets and all that lovely grub.

shirles - 2011-12-13 12:53 PMWe was thinking of using ACSI card at the whit holiday as the OH is a school teacher, but found those dates were excluded on the english sites but plenty available in france...why is this. Anyway decided to use our tesco vouchers and book a tunnel crossing and use our ACSI card in france and it also lets us loose in the french supermarkets and all that lovely grub.

Seems a better option for us its France every time and the Diesel is cheaper as well. If you are thinking of Paris the site at Maisons Laffite is handy to get the Metro to the Arc De Triumph .

shirles - 2011-12-13 12:53 PM

We was thinking of using ACSI card at the whit holiday as the OH is a school teacher, but found those dates were excluded on the english sites but plenty available in france...why is this?

You will find that often the ACSI discount does not apply in a country at the time of National Holidays eg in Holland at the time of The Queen's Birthday National Holiday. Other counties have different "Bank Holidays" to England. ACSI restrictions are likely to apply on the actual day and the neighbouring weekend. France too has its National Holidays but some of these eg "Bastille Day" (14th July) are outside of the ACSI discount period. The ACSI discount card is applicable out of "High Season"; unfortunately National/Bank Holidays are usually classed as High Season in most countries.

shirles - 2011-12-14 11:53 AM

yeah even accounting for local holidays the uk acsi sites seem more restrictive for convenient use and why are there so few of them. I suppose that so many brits don't go abroad that theres always enough mugs to go round.

Why are people that holiday in the UK mugs, lots prefer it. We spend most of our time in Europe but always have a few weeks in the UK as well. Despite the weather being a little suspect the UK has more to offer in other ways than most Euro countries. As to why their are not more ACSI sites, in fact one less this year, I have no idea but all decisions I would hope, are made on a business basis. I have to assume that either they do not know it is on offer or they do not need to give money away. If you are in business and do not need to discount why would you? It does not make you a rip off merchant or your customer a mug, it is called choice.

rupert123 - 2011-12-14 12:40 PM

Why are people that holiday in the UK mugs, lots prefer it. We spend most of our time in Europe but always have a few weeks in the UK as well. it is called choice.

Quite!

It is a pity that some people criticise others or disparage their choices .

mel wood - 2011-12-14 1:28 PM

rupert123 - 2011-12-14 12:40 PM

Why are people that holiday in the UK mugs, lots prefer it. We spend most of our time in Europe but always have a few weeks in the UK as well. it is called choice.

Quite!

It is a pity that some people criticise others or disparage their choices .

Yes I agree with both of these comments.

We too spend much time abroad, and equally enjoy touring in the Uk. In March 2011, we spent most of the month touring the Uk, travelling across the southcoast and down to South Devon, then up through the midlands and across to East Anglia, with some excellent sites and good prices. However, in April (over Easter) we went to France, taaking advantage ot a cheap crossing on DFDS, then some very good sites and aires where prices were much lower than the 'peak'levels charged by the CC, lower fuelprices, and an added unexpected bonus,some really hot weather.

I cannot understand why some contributors seem to feel they are duty bound to criticise others views - just as well we all don't think the same,and even though I don't necesssarily agree with them, far be it from me to criticise - they are just as entitled to them as I am to mine.!

trying to tour in the uk in school holidays using cc sites is very difficult and next year the wifes whit holiday has been shortened by training days.We normally head for dover for the ferry and into france where we can find quiet roads with no one up your arse all the time. I've toured the uk for over 40 years and now with it's increasing congestion and booked up sites I want holidays where I can tour with no worries about traffic jams and full sites. We did this last summer with 6000 miles around scandinavia and the only traffic jam we had was leaving the docks in denmark. Last year with the acsi card we stayed on some great sites in france and saved a shed load of money........yes this year i'm the mug struggling to find a site to stay on in this green and pleasent land.

shirles - 2011-12-15 12:34 PM

trying to tour in the uk in school holidays using cc sites is very difficult and next year the wifes whit holiday has been shortened by training days.We normally head for dover for the ferry and into france where we can find quiet roads with no one up your arse all the time. I've toured the uk for over 40 years and now with it's increasing congestion and booked up sites I want holidays where I can tour with no worries about traffic jams and full sites. We did this last summer with 6000 miles around scandinavia and the only traffic jam we had was leaving the docks in denmark. Last year with the acsi card we stayed on some great sites in france and saved a shed load of money........yes this year i'm the mug struggling to find a site to stay on in this green and pleasent land.

If you have no choice when you take your holidays ok but if you think a holiday in France during school holidays will result in empty sites, or cheap, ones best think again. The comparison you make is unfair, if you used ACSI in France then plainly this was out of high season. Use some common sense, Scandinavia is less crowded than most so take yourself off the Northern Scotland, it is pretty deserted even in August. Why are you struggling to find a site to stay on in the UK, we never have. Even CC sites in high season have vacancies if you telephone the site direct the day before you arrive.

shirles - 2011-12-15 12:34 PM

There are some good CCC Temporary Holiday Sites for CCC members that are very inexpensive, even in July/August school holidays.

Archived