Beware of this St Tropez Aires/Camp sit

postnote

If any of you are thinking of travelling down to St Tropez next year then I would advise you to give the Aires/Camp site just off Av. Charles Camoin or cords

43°16'8.67"N, 6°39'10.41"E a miss. The site is not only small but dirty and plagued with mosquitos. I know there are some that might say (and I hope they go here) take no notice of this post as it’s me, but stay there and be disappointed. They are very good at taking your site fee without a smile..

There is an nice location just down the road in Saint Raphael marina off Route De La Corniche or cords 43°24'44.22"N, 6°46'57.70"E. There are 6 motor home spaces in front of the main car park entrance, max stay 3 days. Hit and miss you get in as very popular location. Between 11am and 2pm is best time to arrive and get a place. Great marina and very clean, plenty of restaurants and a large Spar supermarket, you will not be disappointed. A couple that left the above St Tropez Aires/Camp site in disgust recommended Saint Raphael marina.

The only St Tropez 'aire de services camping-car' shown on the campingcar-infos website is this one:

http://campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=2582&Localit%E9=SAINT%20TROPEZ&Com=1

I don't think this is the one warned against above as it's on the opposite side of the bay to Ave. Charles Camoin and the coordinates and address are different. Recent comments about it seem positive enough.

Guest Tracker

Thanks for that PN - interestingly the Vicarious Books All the Aires shows two at St Tropez neither of which seems to fit either of the two already mentioned?

St Tropez 1 on page 322 is a marina type aire and is at N43 16.180 E003 55.438

St Tropez 2 on page 337 looks like a sandy/gravel aire and is at N43 15.893 E006 40.333

I have not been there yet but hope to next year and whilst minor variations in sat nav lat and long are quite usual more often than not they get you withing spotting distance of the aires.

Tracker - 2011-12-12 1:36 PM

Thanks for that PN - interestingly the Vicarious Books All the Aires shows two at St Tropez neither of which seems to fit either of the two already mentioned?

St Tropez 2 on page 337 looks like a sandy/gravel aire and is at N43 15.893 E006 40.333

I have not been there yet but hope to next year and whilst minor variations in sat nav lat and long are quite usual more often than not they get you withing spotting distance of the aires.

I haven’t got the book to hand, but it is the one that say’s go past the first entrance as there was a small and narrow bridge which could limit access.

I put the cords into Google Earth and the first was in the sea, the second a few miles ago. Not sure what system of cords Google earth but we found the site in “All the Aires France” And in reply to Dave’s question although mentioned in the “All the Aires France” as an Aires it was in fact a tatty campsite.

This Aire is by the Baie des Canebiers,near the house of Brigitte Bardot It seems to have some good comments on Campingcar-Infos and St Raphael has very little of interest compared with St. Tropez. We stayed for 3 days in St Raphael marina 8 years ago and I don't remember any motorhome area there then.

The Prairies de la Mer campsite just by the entrance to Port Grimaud takes the ACSI card and is in a good location, right on the beach.

Thanks for info Postnote: good to see it's a camp site not an aire we should avoid!

For visiting St Tropez and Grimaud etc we often stay on the aire at St. Maxime. From St. Maxime you can take a boat right into St. Tropez harbour; what other way would you want to arrive? There are also buses to Grimaud etc, whilst St Maxime is a nice place in its own right. But only head for aire at St Maxine if you do not mind a busy car park style aire, near main road and opposite McDonalds. We think it is worth it for being able to walk into St Maxine centre and also free wi-fi, on aire, from said burger chain. Used to be free, then 5€ now 10€ night (inc services but no hook-up) but still good value given location.

robertandjean - 2011-12-12 11:02 PM

Thanks for info Postnote: good to see it's a camp site not an aire we should avoid!

For visiting St Tropez and Grimaud etc we often stay on the aire at St. Maxime. From St. Maxime you can take a boat right into St. Tropez harbour; what other way would you want to arrive? There are also buses to Grimaud etc, whilst St Maxime is a nice place in its own right. But only head for aire at St Maxine if you do not mind a busy car park style aire, near main road and opposite McDonalds. We think it is worth it for being able to walk into St Maxine centre and also free wi-fi, on aire, from said burger chain. Used to be free, then 5€ now 10€ night (inc services but no hook-up) but still good value given location.

Thanks for the info Robert, we are going back that way next year as we will have our motorbike (ezetow) trailer fitted and can go site seeing on the Bonneville America. Hope to have a base there for a day or two so we can ride along to Monaco.

Do you have the cords for the aires at St Maxime?

As regard to JamesFrance post, ours was based on actually stopping the night there and a lot changes in eight years. The new motor home area is either side of the main car park by the marina. All the trees and shrubs have been cleared.

Tracker - 2011-12-12 1:36 PM

The coordinates you've provided for St Tropez 1 appear to define a point in the Mediterranean Sea south of Montpellier.

Your St Tropez 2 coordinates identify the facility I referred to earlier (and James France mentioned afterwards). It's described on the campingcar-infos website as an "aire privée de 20 emplacements", but it seems to have many of the attributes of a campsite. As has regularly been emphasised on this forum, not all 'aires' are car-parks and this one certainly isn't. Although 2011 campingcar-infos feedback is positive, there are criticisms on the MHF forum.

MHF comments and StreetView pictures on:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Campsites&op=display_results&csid=3301

There's also a 2009 MHF St Tropez-related thread on:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-63782-days0-orderasc-0.html

I can find absolutely no information regarding any other campsite or 'aire' in St Tropez and there's no sign on satellite views of any likely culprit near Avenue Charles Camoin.

I assume that the St Raphael parking-spot is this one

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=9714

though parking is quoted as being restricted to 1900 to 0900.

Details of the St Maxime aire are on

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=3453&Localit%E9=SAINTE%20MAXIME

A throw-away comment relating to the campingcar-infos website. When an aire de services has a 230V capability, the "branchement électrique" box in the aire's details will, in future, only be ticked if 230V power is available on an extended-duration basis. The norm, in my experience, is that aires with 'pay-to-use' 230V power-outlets operate like parking meters, providing power for a quite limited period (say, 1 hour) after which the service pedestal will again need to be fed if 230V power is required further. This type of aire won't qualify for a tick in the "branchement électrique" box, though the presence of a 230V capability (and its tarif/duration) will be shown elsewhere in the aire's details. As I understand it, this change is so that motorcaravanners with a medical problem that requires 230V equipment to be usable on a continuous basis won't be misled into thinking that an aire has uninterrupted 24/7 mains-power available when it hasn't. (Seems an odd approach to me, but it's their website so they can do what they like with it.) Logically, all existing aire de services entries where it's evident that 230V power isn't provided continuously should be altered to reflect the change in policy, but (although this shouldn't be too onerous a task) I don't know if that will happen..

postnote - 2011-12-13 1:44 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-12-13 9:02 AM

I assume that the St Raphael parking-spot is this one

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=9714

though parking is quoted as being restricted to 1900 to 0900.

Nope the one in St Raphael is at 43°24'44.22"N, 6°46'57.70"E (Google Earth) and has max of 3 days parking there.

Thanks for the clarification.

The location you mentioned is just down the road from the St Raphael parking-spot (which is just a common-or-garden car-park) currently referred to on the campingcar-infos website. You might want to add details of it to that website sometime as your recommendation has dedicated motorhome parking bays.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-12-12 8:47 AM

The only St Tropez 'aire de services camping-car' shown on the campingcar-infos website is this one:

http://campingcar-infos.com/Francais/aire.php?numid=2582&Localit%E9=SAINT%20TROPEZ&Com=1

I don't think this is the one warned against above as it's on the opposite side of the bay to Ave. Charles Camoin and the coordinates and address are different. Recent comments about it seem positive enough.

I beleive this is the one on page 337 no 168 of the new Aires book. We stayed there in early August. http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-111367-days0-orderasc-0.html

It is flipping awful. Well it was when we were there.

Ferral kids running about the place and a lot of long term residents who certainly were not friendly. I think it was €11 but extra for water. Mosquito hell and very noisy. None of the other Aires are much better IMO.

The only good thing about St Tropez is the Kebab shop just off the main square. Best Kebab I have ever eated and the only thing for sale in St Tropez thats not in double figures.

We have done a few bits of the med coast now in France and everytime we regret it and after a day or two jump back in land back to proper France and the contrast is unbeleivable.

Tony Jones - 2011-12-18 3:30 PM

We stopped over at St Raphael in 2003 too.

There was no "official" aire, but the place we parked was by the marina, just outside a car park. The circus was in town, and there were animals tethered around the car park, but they gave us no trouble!

Hi Tony

what fantastic photos ! You dont get that on UK camp sites. Would have been nice if the animals had a bit of shade and some water maybe.

Mr & Mrs B.

Archived