touring in new zealand

geoffcow

We went back in nov1989 for four weeks (part of our round the world) started in christchurch (south island) over authers pass (snowed) down west coast to invercargle back up east coast. We had exceptionaly dry weather apart from invercargle( maybe thats why we didn't like it there) rest of trip was great. Apart from all the usual places in books there's loads of nice out of the way places to find. Well worth a visit. We used Maui? campers, because of mix up by booking agent (jet set) there was no small camper for us (vw transporter size) so they gave us 6 berth truck based motohome no extra charge 'result'.

www.apollocamper.com Hi try this web site, we recently did some research for hols in OZ and NZ and they came up with a very good price and were very helpful. We were amazed at the price difference between OZ and NZ - NZ much cheaper so you should be able to indulge. The NZ $ is fairly weak against the pound at the mo. Beware of the seasons (its the opposite way to the UK!) and winter can be appalling weatherwise especially on the south Island. Hope this is of use. Vixter

It depends on how long your tour is. A friend of ours has just returned after three months in NZ. They purchased a Motorcaravan and agreed a resale price with the dealer at the time. They estimated that they saved between £4000 and £5000 pound over the hire charges. If hiring any vehicle you must remember that some parts are no go for hire cars etc. (90 mile beach for example) Fines are swingeing and the locals take photos of your hire vehicle and submit to the hirer for a fee. It then costs you thousands in fines. Four short hire if there are two of you consider a people-carrier and stay at B and B's, Top camp sites with small chalets etc.. Easier to get around in a smaller vehicle and you can always picknic at lunchtime. Accomodation is plentiful and in B and B's you get to meet the locals who can tell you something about their lifestyle and make local recommendations to you. Gives her indoors a break from cooking also. Eating places are usually good value but some close early (7.30pm)

Been twice and used Maui both times - but think Pacific Horizon is probably better - and cheaper. Top 10 sites are excellent - don't forget to join the "club" at your first site and get a discount at all the others. If you're going in their summer, book your crossing to South Island (Interisland Ferries) on the web in advance. No need to pre-book camp sites unless you're planning to be in Queenstown on New Year's Eve (as we were) when it's chaotic.

We hired from Maui, many years ago now, best few months touring we have ever had, in 40 odd years of caravaning. If you start your hire in September it is much cheaper for that month (seasonal). If you hire from Maui ask them if they still pay your ferry fare if you pick up your 'van in Christchurch and bring it back to Auckland, and when you pick your 'van up ask about road junctions 'right of way' they use them all like we use a mini round-about. Very good once you get used to it. Watch out for the dreaded Kea, Mountain parrot, they chew everything off the 'van that is chewable, I don't think they have got around to tyre valves yet, but they will have every thing else. One Australian family in Franz Joseph had the vinyl roof covering eaten off by them, then it started to rain, Franz Joseph has the highest rain fall in the world. While talking about Franz Joseph, whistling frogs start at sun set and keep whistling 'til sun rise, thousands of them, and not in harmony. But that is where you get to fly over Mount Cook in a chopper, and up and down the glaciers, so don't miss that, frogs or not. On the South Island if you come to a single track bridge(and most were) if there are traffic lights on red, and nothing is coming, don't chance it, it could be a train track on the same road as you. Fantastic Country for motor home touring, don't miss it what ever you do. If you search last years posts I think you will find loads of info on N.Z. You will enjoy every bit of it, Cheers David Powell.

Geoff, Consider the alternative - car hire. We looked at both motorhomes and car hire and went for the latter for increased flexibility. It was also cheaper. We stayed in camp site cabins, homestays (NZ equivalent of B&Bs) and motels, of which there are a very great number. We were there Dec/Jan for 7 weeks and never had an accommodation problem once. Car hire+motel is a lot cheaper than motorhome hire+campsite fees, but we chose it for the flexibility - there are roads we used in the car that I wouldn't want to drive along in a motorhome. If interested, I will send you an email of the articles I wrote for a magazine - in 7 weeks we covered the whole of the South Island and the whole of the North Island except Wellington (windy city). We also hired aircraft twice and flew around - great!

We hired a m/home for 9 weeks earlier this year (9th February to 6th April) setting off from Christchurch and leaving via Auckland. If you travel next year I would suggest mid January, when their school summer holidays finish, and give yourself at least 2 months if possible. After a bit of research I booked with Kiwi Autohomes (www.kiwiautohomes.co.nz) via a British agent - Mrs Weaver 01291 622911. Try her for a quote - and do negotiate! Included in the hire was a free ferry to North Island (for the van only; we had to pay NZ$98 for 2 of us). We had a 5 berth "Euro" and the total cost, including insurance and hire of picnic table + 2 chairs, was NZ$9130 which is £3238 at the latest rate I got from my Nationwide credit card. The big name firms like Maui, Pacific Horizon, Adventure, Kea etc. have plusher vans but will be much more expensive! Our van had all the usual stuff (see the website) but was a basic van, 2.8 Ducatto and no problem mechanically. We met no end of people who had problems with Maui vans. Gateway and Apollo may be cheaper than the usual suspects but Kiwi Autohomes were our choice. It is better to arrive at Christchurch and chase the sun Northwards at that time of year. As suggested earlier, Top 10 camps are the best, followed by Kiwi Holiday parks and we bought a discount card for both. The Top 10 card gives discounts at a lot of traders and attractions throughout NZ. We also stayed at DOC (Dept of Conservation) sites - see [url=http://www.doc.govt.nz/Explore/003~Huts-Cabins-and-Campsites/Conservation-Campsites/index.asp]HERE[/url] These lovely sites are usually without power (although there are a few with) and are on lakesides, beaches, forests usually with a toilet. The cost (honesty box) is about 7 Dollars each person which is about a fiver for two! I could write loads more - if there is anything specific I can help you with please reply. You'll love the place and the freedom of travelling with your own m/home. Try not to take rigid luggage - it's much easier to pack away soft containers in the lockers than to have to manoevre your way around the van with rigid cases in the way. Regards, Tug

• 5 weeks later...
Hi we used Britz in 2002 - they had a link with Maui in OZ - and as we were away for over 70 days across both countries they gave us a discount. We went early March, starting in Christchurch and heading south - then, as autumn moved in drove North to keep warm - worked for us. Weather great - started 3/3 and finished 16/4 and only had 3 days rain - not bad for the land of the long white cloud. As we started in south Island and finished in North Island there was no one way fee. A brilliant country, we had 6 weeks and it wasn't long enough. We will go again and aim for 2 months on S Island and 1 Month on N Island. Peter

Hi last year I was talking to a fulltime RVer, he was considering shipping his RV over, to both OZ and NZ, reckoned on staying for about a year, then shipping it back. Can't remember the price but he seem to think it was a viable proposition. Anybody else thought of doing this? Olley

Hi There was an interesting set of articles in MMM about shipping motorhome to OZ, NZ, and USA - since reading that i am definitly interested. Shipping to canada, snowbird south for the winter then back to canada before shippingto NZ 6 months and OZ 6 months is my dream. I am also vaguely interested in South Africa. Just come back from 3500 miles overland from Cape town to Vic falls via Namibia & botswana - in 3 weeks with EXODUS. In Namiba i saw several ordinaly motorhomes in addition to the 4 wheel drive versions. I reckon its doable. Saw a german motorhome based on what looked like an ex army lorry that had clearly driven all the way from Europe - that may be a step too far! At the moment its just a dream but when i finally retire again in two or three years........... I need to start gathering info now. Peter

Archived