Cruise Control X250 3.0Ltr software fix?.

Earthmover

Calling Nick,

Nick have you any info on a Fiat software fix concerning the cruise control on a 3.0 Ltr X250. I am told it clears a malfunction where by if you set the c/c and then switch it off, you can't re-engage it, without first stopping and restarting the engine?. It seems that only Fiat commercial garages know about it.??. Both my local Fiat car dealerships drew a blank.

cheers EM.

Why would you switch the cruise control off in the first place? The cruise control disengages when you brake or use the accelerator and you press "Resume" on the stalk to re-engage. Mine works fine. My vehicle was in Fiat's two weeks ago and no recalls showed on their system.

Mike88 - 2011-12-16 8:46 AM

Why would you switch the cruise control off in the first place? The cruise control disengages when you brake or use the accelerator and you press "Resume" on the stalk to re-engage. Mine works fine.

I have a Transit based 'van fitted with cruise control and whilst I cannot say with certainty about the FIAT system, being able to switch it off on the Transit is a very desirable feature. When conditions are 'tricky' it is a good feature to be able to be certain that the system is positively and definitely off and not just disengaged.

The Transit system works with a total of five switches on the steering wheel, On, OFF (on the left), Resume, + speed, - speed (on the right). It is quite easy to disengage the system and then catch the Resume switch; in a car park this can prove exciting ;-)

Sorry to divert from the OP's question.

Earthmover - 2011-12-15 10:26 PM

Calling Nick,

Nick have you any info on a Fiat software fix concerning the cruise control on a 3.0 Ltr X250. I am told it clears a malfunction where by if you set the c/c and then switch it off, you can't re-engage it, without first stopping and restarting the engine?. It seems that only Fiat commercial garages know about it.??. Both my local Fiat car dealerships drew a blank.

cheers EM.

Can't help re your problem, but would recommend you always take your van to a Fiat commercial garage. General Fiat dealer's workshops are unlikely to have the hoists, or headroom, to carry out any checks under the vehicle, and I believe are unlikely to have any software updates the are Ducato specific, because they generally do not deal with Ducatos.

I think you need find a dealer who has a decent auto electrician, it could be a fault elsewhere upsetting the can buss system.

On our 2.3 we had a fault on the stop lights circuit & the cruise control would drop out and not re-engage until the engine was re-started.

Thank-you for all the replies. Just to clarify a few assumptions made, I personally don,t have any problems with my cruise control and I know how it works. It was just that on another forum a guy had a problem with his cruise control, he took it to a Ford/Fiat commercial dealer and told them of the trouble he was having, the chap in charge said yes, we know of it and there is a software download from Fiat to cure it!!. (Free) . In the 3 weeks since it was done his cruise control has worked perfectly.

My original question was for Nick, who I think would know if there was a software upgrade or not?. I was in my local fiat car dealership on business a few days ago and they couldn't find anything on the fiat system relating to it either. Will the real Nick please step up to the plate.

Thankyou all EM.

Mike88 - 2011-12-16 8:46 AM

Why would you switch the cruise control off in the first place? The cruise control disengages when you brake or use the accelerator and you press "Resume" on the stalk to re-engage. Mine works fine. My vehicle was in Fiat's two weeks ago and no recalls showed on their system.

It should not disengage if you use accelerator, you should be able to take foot off pedal and it should drop back to the set speed.

A slight aside, one thing I don't like on the Fiat cc is that you cannot do a 'soft' disengage and resume, you need to depress clutch or brake.

Earthmover - 2011-12-16 10:44 PM

Thank-you for all the replies. Just to clarify a few assumptions made, I personally don,t have any problems with my cruise control and I know how it works. It was just that on another forum a guy had a problem with his cruise control, he took it to a Ford/Fiat commercial dealer and told them of the trouble he was having, the chap in charge said yes, we know of it and there is a software download from Fiat to cure it!!. (Free) . In the 3 weeks since it was done his cruise control has worked perfectly.

My original question was for Nick, who I think would know if there was a software upgrade or not?. I was in my local fiat car dealership on business a few days ago and they couldn't find anything on the fiat system relating to it either. Will the real Nick please step up to the plate.

Thankyou all EM.

Just to clarify. I responded because my van was recently in a Fiat commercial dealership. I specifically asked for details of any recalls/updates and was advised there were none. As far as your comment "Will the real Nick please step up to the plate"...........................Nick has already replied under his name euroserve - see above.

lennyhb - 2011-12-17 10:59 AM

colin - 2011-12-16 10:54 PM

It should not disengage if you use accelerator, you should be able to take foot off pedal and it should drop back to the set speed.

Not true, cruise controls are set to to disengage at 15% above the set speed.

.....that may be the case on some vehicles, (possibly even the Ducato) but it isn't anything I've experienced on either of my vehicles fitted with CC, and also isn't stated in the manual(s).

A slight aside, one thing I don't like on the Fiat cc is that you cannot do a 'soft' disengage and resume, you need to depress clutch or brake.

Just asking the question, what is a "soft" disengage ?

I normally switch off the C/control and accelerate at the same time, to soften the deacceleration. My previous M/home throttle actually moved when in cruise control so "catching" the throttle was easy.

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2011-12-17 4:59 PM

Just asking the question, what is a "soft" disengage ?

I normally switch off the C/control and accelerate at the same time, to soften the deacceleration. My previous M/home throttle actually moved when in cruise control so "catching" the throttle was easy.

Rgds

It's a 'colin term' ;-) but what I meant was you cannot simply switch off, say to let speed bleed off if your 'trapped' behind another vehicle, and then resume. you either have to depress clutch/brake , or switch off then reset speed.

I can confirm that if the speed drops to low, such as when going up a hill, then it will disengage, but I have accelerated from 60 to around 70 without it disengaging, but maybe it was only 68, next time I get chance I'll have to try.

I think I am with you !

I assume that the X250 3 litre c/control is the same as the 2.5 litre ? (LHS stalk with a rotary on/off switch and Up to set the speed ?

If in the driving conditions you describe, I normally just touch the brake to switch off the control, and "catch" the speed on the throttle and then drive normally until situation allows me to go back to C/control.

If the situation is slowly unfolding and deccelearing, I just flick the stalk down a couple of times to lower the speed.

One of the annoying things I find about the Fiat C/Control (which I have not found with other manufacturers) is the position, I have often pushed the stalk up and on, instead of indicating right. Result is no right turn signal and a M/home speeding up, rather than down !!

also when the stalk is held in the up position to set a higher speed, the acceleration seems "harsher" than just plonking your foot hard on the throttle. (This may be adjustable by a man with the right software ?)

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2011-12-18 5:07 PM

I think I am with you !

I assume that the X250 3 litre c/control is the same as the 2.5 litre ? (LHS stalk with a rotary on/off switch and Up to set the speed ?

If in the driving conditions you describe, I normally just touch the brake to switch off the control, and "catch" the speed on the throttle and then drive normally until situation allows me to go back to C/control.

Yes this is what I do, but it irritates me to have to do an unessasary brake, especialy if there's a vehicle behind me.

One of the annoying things I find about the Fiat C/Control (which I have not found with other manufacturers) is the position, I have often pushed the stalk up and on, instead of indicating right. Result is no right turn signal and a M/home speeding up, rather than down !!

also when the stalk is held in the up position to set a higher speed, the acceleration seems "harsher" than just plonking your foot hard on the throttle. (This may be adjustable by a man with the right software ?)

Rgds

It's not just me then that 'hits' the wrong lever :-S

Mike88,

Thanks for putting me right, I had not noticed that Euroserve had already replied. Thankyou Euroserve. I will come back with the name of the commercial garage and the man the chap saw. But if there is a problem with Fiat C/C, then it does not seem a very common at all.

cheers EM.

Robinhood - 2011-12-17 11:48 AM

.....that may be the case on some vehicles, (possibly even the Ducato) but it isn't anything I've experienced on either of my vehicles fitted with CC, and also isn't stated in the manual(s).

Just speaking from experience, the Ducato & my car do it & every car I have driven with cruise control has done it.

Earthmover - 2011-12-18 9:55 PM

Mike88,

Thanks for putting me right, I had not noticed that Euroserve had already replied. Thankyou Euroserve. I will come back with the name of the commercial garage and the man the chap saw. But if there is a problem with Fiat C/C, then it does not seem a very common at all.

cheers EM.

Your best bet for a general inquiry about this would be to ask on the Fiat forum

http://www.fiatforum.com

Alternatively, if you are able to obtain contact details for the garage/technician who is aware of the software 'fix', you could ask about it directly and report what you learn back to the forum. That's what I'd do - horse's mouth and all that.

lennyhb - 2011-12-19 8:42 AM

Robinhood - 2011-12-17 11:48 AM

Just speaking from experience, the Ducato & my car do it & every car I have driven with cruise control has done it.

....well, as I say, it's not anything I've experienced using cruise control.

.....but, of course, I just had to re-convince myself. Having to go out this morning, I set the car on cc at 40mph, then accelerated to 60mph, and lifted off. CC took over when the speed had dropped to 40mph again (consistent with my memories of every vehicle I've driven with cc).

We've obviously driven very different vehicles. ;-)

colin - 2011-12-18 7:25 PM

Yes this is what I do, but it irritates me to have to do an unessasary brake, especialy if there's a vehicle behind me.

I suppose a quick flash of brakelights might wake up / alert a following driver :D

OTH I have never tried it, but dipping the clutch might work (Not much help on an automatic though !

Rgds

Cruise-control operation is far from standardised...

Regarding accelerating the vehicle above a pre-set speed, the Owner's Manual for my Skoda Roomster says:

"You can increase the speed by depressing the accelerator. Releasing the accelerator will cause the speed to drop again to the set speed.

This does not apply, however, if you drive at a speed which is more than 10km/h higher than the set speed for a period longer than 5 minutes. The stored speed will be cancelled in the memory. You then have to re-store the desired speed."

On this link

http://www.leisuretechservices.com/cruisecontrol.htm

the 'disengage criteria' are given as

"With built-in safety features that disengage the system if the following conditions occur:

Operation of the brake pedal.

When the OFF key of the control

When module is pressed.

Excessive engine rpm.

When the set speed is reduced by 50%.

When the set speed is increased by up to 150%.

When the ignition is turned off."

Not sure what "When the set speed is increased by up to 150%" implies, but, if I were accelerating a motorhome with the cruise-control set to 65mph, I don't think I'd be much concerned if the system didn't disengage until the vehicle had passed 160mph.

On my MK7 Transit, I can accelerate up to any speed when the CC is set and then taking my foot off the throttle will allow the vehicle to slow again to the set speed.

Braking will disengage the CC

Dipping the clutch will disengage the CC

Clicking the 'Resume' switch will re-engage the CC following either of the above two actions.

There is a real risk here of disengaging the CC due to say changing gear, forgetting that it has been active and then catching the 'Resume' switch some time later. I have done this exiting a motorway and caught the Resume whilst twirling the steering wheel going round a roundabout in 3rd gear (6 speed box with 140 bhp on an Autosleeper Duetto on a wet road = exciting time).

The safest option (on the Transit) is always to switch the CC off and not rely on it being disengaged. Perhaps the FIAT system is less prone to the above problem?

Derek Uzzell - 2011-12-20 8:43 AM

Not sure what "When the set speed is increased by up to 150%" implies, but, if I were accelerating a motorhome with the cruise-control set to 65mph, I don't think I'd be much concerned if the system didn't disengage until the vehicle had passed 160mph.

Depends how you read it in my book its 97.5mph still a bit hairy in a coachbuilt :D

Archived