Robbed in Spain

Bulletguy

As we're going to Valencia in february for a month, I hope it's not as bad as made out in this thread. If it is it'll be the first and last time we visit spain.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
peter - 2011-12-26 3:29 PM

As we're going to Valencia in february for a month, I hope it's not as bad as made out in this thread. If it is it'll be the first and last time we visit spain.

Peter - not a problem at all - learn from the thread.

Take -

1) Anti tank missiles

2) Swords, knives & axes

3) Huge stash of guns & ammo.

4) Massive life insurance for you, your travelling companions, your cat, dog, gold fish, anyone related to you or have ever met.

5)Big hammer to hit ANYONE who has the brass neck NOT to speak english OR is eating 'that funny food'

6) Large passport case to wave in the face of anyone you happen across who wears a uniform (Please also remeber to shout very loud and slowly which as we all know is the English way to be understood in all countries '' I'm British and obviously have priority over all the people in your country''

OR you could just be sensible where you go , apply the same safe rules you apply as when in England and have a bloody good time !

Hope this helps

:-S

Of course Bruce I love Spain almost as much as you but you do tend to overlook the fact that a large proportion of Spain is uninhabited hence there are no reported crimes for a large areas of Spain.

Get to the holiday hotspots, such as Benidorm, where they should provide EXTRA policing because crime is rife, and there you will probably get robbed in one way or another, Pocket picked (very very prevalent), hotel room burgled, mugged, and more.

A more agressive form of policing is greatly needed and would easilly eliminate a lot of this but sadly there is none.

As in the UK the perpetrators of this "petty" crime are known to the police but they are not harrassed ever

Geoff Tuckley - 2011-12-26 3:07 PM

The fact is that if a country like Spain depends on tourism they should, at the very least have an effective police force which actually wants to try and control street crime so people will go there and spend the money they so eagerly desire.

One gets the idea that they do not want to even try.

Syd - 2011-12-26 3:49 PM

A more agressive form of policing is greatly needed and would easilly eliminate a lot of this but sadly there is none.

Entirely agree with both points especially the former (re. tourism) being paramount.

Or is the industry simply bringing in so many millions (or billions) per annum that the Spanish Government can afford complacency?

Peter James - 2011-12-26 3:14 PM

Just my observations. But when you hear of English tourists being mugged on the streets in Spain, it usually turns out to be someone who has made themselves a very easy target. Typically by getting blind drunk, losing their way, and staggering back to their hotel alone at 2am.

Not in my case.

I was stone cold sober, knew where I was......and the time was approx 12 noon mid-day.

Mr & Mrs Batty - 2011-12-26 3:48 PM

peter - 2011-12-26 3:29 PM

Peter - not a problem at all - learn from the thread.

Take -

1) Anti tank missiles

2) Swords, knives & axes

3) Huge stash of guns & ammo.

4) Massive life insurance for you, your travelling companions, your cat, dog, gold fish, anyone related to you or have ever met.

5)Big hammer to hit ANYONE who has the brass neck NOT to speak english OR is eating 'that funny food'

6) Large passport case to wave in the face of anyone you happen across who wears a uniform (Please also remeber to shout very loud and slowly which as we all know is the English way to be understood in all countries '' I'm British and obviously have priority over all the people in your country''

OR you could just be sensible where you go , apply the same safe rules you apply as when in England and have a bloody good time !

Hope this helps

:-S

I have already taken all the precautions you mention, but am having a pipe fitted all round my van with tiny holes in that will blast out a jet of flame. Just to be on the safe side you understand. (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest Peter James
nowtelse2do - 2011-12-26 8:12 PM

Every time I have been to Spain (except once in 1960) when Franco was in charge, there looks to be more and more bars against the house windows. Sign of the times I suppose :-S

Dave

You see bars on the windows in most hot countries so they can leave their windows open.

Guest Peter James
Wonder what the Spanish think about the Christmas news from Britain. A guy shot dead on the street in Salford. Another stabbed to death on Oxford Street.

Guest Peter James
peter - 2011-12-27 4:09 PM

I have already taken all the precautions you mention, but am having a pipe fitted all round my van with tiny holes in that will blast out a jet of flame. Just to be on the safe side you understand. (lol) (lol) (lol)

I Want One (!) I Want One (!)

triggered off when anyone tries to fit a wheelclamp >:-)

Peter James - 2011-12-27 4:35 PM

Wonder what the Spanish think about the Christmas news from Britain. A guy shot dead on the street in Salford. Another stabbed to death on Oxford Street.

3 guys shot in the Ordsall district of Salford all within half a mile of each other in the last 2 weeks, 2 dead one wounded, Ordsall is something like a south African township, a very dangerous area for strangers and locals alike, Salford quays the BBC media centre is just across the road, I feel sorry for BBC staf who are relocating to the area, they are in for one hell of a culture shock.

Peter James - 2011-12-27 4:28 PM

nowtelse2do - 2011-12-26 8:12 PM

Every time I have been to Spain (except once in 1960) when Franco was in charge, there looks to be more and more bars against the house windows. Sign of the times I suppose :-S

Dave

You see bars on the windows in most hot countries so they can leave their windows open.

When I worked on German building sites you soon realise how security concious the Germans are, each morning and dinner time breaks all tools are locked away in a "booda" a strong room, Germans do not trust Turkish labourers.

All German houses either have shutters or metal grills over windows and doors, on asking one of my German workmates why, he said this stems from the days of retreating German armies and or marauding displaced persons from robbing their houses, when I was there I witnessed a Turkish woman who threw a wobbler, she was throwing furniture over the balcony of a highrise block of flats where she lived, the police did not mess about, they shot her dead.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Seydou Diarrassouba stabbed to death by rival gang member over a pair of trainers apparently, words fail me.

1footinthegrave - 2011-12-27 5:20 PM

Seydou Diarrassouba stabbed to death by rival gang member over a pair of trainers apparently, words fail me.

Somali immigrants where the use of a knife is par for the course.

Dave

When I worked on German building sites you soon realise how security concious the Germans are, each morning and dinner time breaks all tools are locked away in a "booda" a strong room, Germans do not trust Turkish labourers.

All German houses either have shutters or metal grills over windows and doors, on asking one of my German workmates why, he said this stems from the days of retreating German armies and or marauding displaced persons from robbing their houses, when I was there I witnessed a Turkish woman who threw a wobbler, she was throwing furniture over the balcony of a highrise block of flats where she lived, the police did not mess about, they shot her dead.

From Motorhomers who are supposed to be travelling abroad I would expect a lot more open mindedness towards other cultures and countries. The vast majority of turkish people in Germany are friendly, honourable and hard working.

Patricia - 2011-12-28 9:39 AM

Re bars on windows and shutters - in many parts of France, particularly in the towns, insurance companies make them mandatory, otherwise you are not covered for theft.

I can confirm that. After we and two neighbours were broken in to in our village, when the shutters and windows were forced, our insurers asked us to also fit steel security bars to the inside of the shutters.

We do worry that the shutters being closed makes it rather obvious that there is nobody home during the winter when they would normally be open, however we have no choice for an absence of over 24 hrs.

ollybear - 2011-12-28 7:48 AM

Dave

From Motorhomers who are supposed to be travelling abroad I would expect a lot more open mindedness towards other cultures and countries. The vast majority of turkish people in Germany are friendly, honourable and hard working.

If you go to a country on holiday short or long term you are usually wearing your rose tinted glasses, if you are living there on a permanant basis you have a different view, if the indigenous people of Germany say that they dont like or trust the Turks they have their reasons dont they?

Like I said in my earlier post, 'sign of the times' When I first went to Spain in 1958 and again in 1960 I can't remember seeing steel bars at the windows, shutters 'yes' bars 'no'. And a certain General in charge..!! and you never argued with the police and definitely not with the Carabinieri. You could leave things on the beach, go swimming and when you got back they would still be there, honest no exaggeration.

Dave

My first trip to Spain was 1959 not 58.

nowtelse2do - 2011-12-28 3:01 PM

And a certain General in charge..!! and you never argued with the police and definitely not with the Carabinieri. You could leave things on the beach, go swimming and when you got back they would still be there, honest no exaggeration.

Are you sure you were in Spain ? If so what were the Carabinieri doing there ?

HymerVan - 2011-12-29 8:58 AM

nowtelse2do - 2011-12-28 3:01 PM

And a certain General in charge..!! and you never argued with the police and definitely not with the Carabinieri. You could leave things on the beach, go swimming and when you got back they would still be there, honest no exaggeration.

Seeing that I neither speak Italian or Spanish it was a slight spelling mistake unless it was a cultural exchange with the Carabinieros ;-)

Dave

The poster possibly meant the Guardia Civil.

My own dealings involved the Mossos d'Esquadra and to be perfectly honest, did not initially recognise them as Police, being more familiar with German and Polish Police.

Not sure just how true this is but a couple of French truck drivers I spoke to during my return told me the way each Spanish Police force handles matters varies from region to region. Whether that meant I had dealt with a good or efficient Force remains to be seen, but their 'activities' (lack of!) certainly did not impress me.

Bulletguy - 2011-12-29 2:23 PM

The poster possibly meant the Guardia Civil.

My own dealings involved the Mossos d'Esquadra and to be perfectly honest, did not initially recognise them as Police, being more familiar with German and Polish Police.

Not sure just how true this is but a couple of French truck drivers I spoke to during my return told me the way each Spanish Police force handles matters varies from region to region. Whether that meant I had dealt with a good or efficient Force remains to be seen, but their 'activities' (lack of!) certainly did not impress me.

Ah yes, the great Generalissimo, and the Guardia Civil! Halcyon days! I spent a couple of summer fortnights with a friend on the Costa Thingy back in those days. They Gypsies had a bit of a reputation for using their knives if you annoyed them. There were many houses with bars at the windows in Girona, not crude bars, but ornate wrought iron grilles designed to keep strangers away from the women of the house. There was also a midnight curfew on the Costa Thingy beach. One extremely hot and airless night (local Fonda, no A/C!) my friend and I decided to go for a toddle in the relative calm and cool of the beach at about 3:00 am. Not a good idea! We'd gone about half a mile along the shore when we came across the Guardia Civil. We greeted them politely, and were promptly ordered to stop. We were interrogated at gunpoint (nasty looking sub-machine gun of some sort - don't ask, I'm not a gunsmith - but I didn't like it being pointed at my head from about a foot away by a visibly p*ssed and perspiring officer!), explained that we were too hot to sleep, so had gone for a walk where it was cooler (pidgin Spanish and very sloooow gestures), and were basically told to bugger off or we'd be arrested.

Apparently, they never drew the Guardia Civil from the locality, as most were conscripts, but from a different part of Spain. Just one of Franco's funny little ways as a means of exerting control! Spain has many historic ghosts to lay, and will, IMO, not make the transition to full democratic functionality until they first recognise them, and then finally lay them to rest. It is happening, but it will take years yet. The attitudes and actions of many in authority in Spain remain questionable, one just has to accept that. It is Western Europe, but not as we know it, Henry! :-S

As the owners of a boat in a Spanish marina, we see the present Guardia Civil every day driving round and propping up the marina bar. The three cornered hats are a thing of the past and they now seem to try hard to be friendly, although they carry out the duties of Customs Officers these days.

The Mossos d'Esquadra are the regional police for Catalunya and seem to appear when the Policia Local cannot cope.

One day the Guardia patrol boat brought a yacht into the marina, presumably on suspicion of drug running. The Mossos then posted a 24 hour 6 man guard on the pontoon and in the bar, which lasted for 7 days while they obtained a court order to search the yacht. The yacht was still there three years later and presumably the crew are still in clink as they never reappeared.

JamesFrance - 2011-12-29 7:11 PM

The three cornered hats are a thing of the past and they now seem to try hard to be friendly,

They were the one's, them with the three cornered hats. I was told to keep well away from them and not to make any trouble, I was 14 at the time and I certainly weren't going up against two of them with guns.

You could not go off the beach and into town with beach wear on, for the ladies definitely no topless sunbathing, and no bikinis.

Yes Brian, Halcyon days indeed no motorways down through France then :-D

Dave

Archived