Robbed in Spain

Bulletguy

Guest JudgeMental

Well pardon me Bob,......it was a genuine question that was meet with cynicism, and ignored along with all the other useful contributions that I have seen on this thread. I am thinking of heading to Spain for Easter, this will mean driving down alone, and wife flying over and joining me for 2 weeks, and then probably head back together. A bit concerned with travelling alone due to health reasons and security.....And really in a bit of two minds, but if I dont do it now I dont think I ever will. Might cop out, and fly somewhere hot instead for a few weeks, but I really wanted to start making some more use of the van ....

Does anyone think it is safer driving through these hot spots at night, as we tend to drive at night to avoid the summer crowds anyway...Or are you likely to increase the risk of problems

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2012-01-21 7:21 PM

As I suspected nothing.....still looking around for someone to blame, but in the meantime just as bitter and rude as ever.

I have to say that any rude and unhelpful comments in this topic have come from you Eddie. Quite why you have attacked Paul I don't understand, as he has quite obviously had a distressing experience owing to being unaware of the previous experiences some of us have had.

Guest JudgeMental
JamesFrance - 2012-01-21 8:08 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-01-21 7:21 PM

As I suspected nothing.....still looking around for someone to blame, but in the meantime just as bitter and rude as ever.

I have to say that any rude and unhelpful comments in this topic have come from you Eddie. Quite why you have attacked Paul I don't understand, as he has quite obviously had a distressing experience owing to being unaware of the previous experiences some of us have had.

Fair enough, and I apologise if thats the impression I give, but my first reaction to this thread was utter incredulity that someone who has been around this and other forums for a good while could be so easily taken in.....

JudgeMental - 2012-01-21 4:04 PM

So what have you learnt from this BG?

He's learnt to ignore those that keep chipping in to the thread with nothing helpful to add. But feel they have to deride someone who is trying to draw attention to something that could cause any one of us that visits spain a lot of grief.

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2012-01-21 8:27 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-01-21 4:04 PM

So what have you learnt from this BG?

He's learnt that you are a bigotted sh*t stirring idiot.

Thats rich..... I am far from an idiot, certainly not in comparison with your best mate! Dont really get what has happened to turn you into such an obnoxious git

Hi Dave

I wouldn't be surprised if word filters down the grapevine to him, (the MEP). After all, like Bill Cash he is Conservative! Whichever side of the fence Politicians sit on though I think it's fair to say there are those that do work hard for their constituents, and those who just don't give a fig.

I have thanked Liz Lynne the MEP who wrote explaining that she would have taken the matter on herself but for the fact she is standing down at the end of this month.

Guest JudgeMental

OK my last contribution on this topic as I am expecting an MP to arrive on a flying saucer for lunch

These are professional thieves stealing luxury high powered cars to carry out their trade...Do you think for one minute that if there was not such easy rich pickings, and people were not so slack with money, personal belongings and security that this type of crime would continue?

As for all this get your MP to do something I simply don’t understand what is expected...”something to be done” I hear...... Well if you are waiting for Spanish authorities to put signs up saying “WELCOME TO SPAIN! YOU ARE ENTERING A HIGH CRIME AREA” I mean come on, get real, it just ain’t going to happen is it? We have seen that the police are making arrests and to criticise them for not speaking English is patronising and jingoistic

These crimes happen because people let it happen to them, unless accompanied by violence. Security starts at home with you, with forethought and preparation for a trip. I hope we have all at least learnt some basic precautions. Not to stop for anyone, not get out of a locked vehicle if you are forced to stop. To have police number in phone, camera at hand. Cash/card and valuables split up and hidden away. Nothing left lying about in sight. To be particularly aware at fuel stops and in a queue for someone tampering with your vehicle etc..etc... travel safe but leave the rose tinted spectacles at home

JudgeMental - 2012-01-21 7:41 PM

Well pardon me Bob,......it was a genuine question that was meet with cynicism, and ignored along with all the other useful contributions that I have seen on this thread. I am thinking of heading to Spain for Easter, this will mean driving down alone, and wife flying over and joining me for 2 weeks, and then probably head back together. A bit concerned with travelling alone due to health reasons and security.....And really in a bit of two minds, but if I dont do it now I dont think I ever will. Might cop out, and fly somewhere hot instead for a few weeks, but I really wanted to start making some more use of the van ....

Does anyone think it is safer driving through these hot spots at night, as we tend to drive at night to avoid the summer crowds anyway...Or are you likely to increase the risk of problems

Apologies for OT, but you could always take the route via Irun, at the NW end of the Pyrenees, depending on destination.

Both times we went we have used D933/N135 via St Jean Pied-de-Port, to Pamplona, then onward route depending on destination. Either way Andalusia via Burgos/Madrid, or Murcia/Valencia via Zaragoza. Both routes avoid the stretch through Catalonia, which is where the main problem seems to be, and both are interesting enough to be worth doing in daylight.

It seems to me this is much the same problem as exists on the aires de services/repos down the A7 in France. It is a very popular tourist route, carrying a lot of relatively tired people, travelling with lots of goodies at the beginning of their holidays. So, it is a magnet for the tea-leaves.

Rather than taking extreme measures, or trying to tip-toe through when the tea-leaves are all bye-byes, just take a different, and less popular route. If the average rate of foreign registered vehicles is one per hour or less on one road, and 30 per hour or more on another, which road is Dick Turpin likely to patrol? Even driving solo your mate Garmin should get you there without too much drama. :-)

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks Brian, as probably heading for Valencia region that route makes sense I guess :-S I have all of Febuary to make up my mind, may well chicken out and go for a less adverturous trip to Mosel for some cycling or Cote de Azur....... I have driven to lapland and back on my own, but health was not a concern then *-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

It would be interesting to know if other Europeans feel targeted when out of their own Country.

Although I have to say when we last went to Spain on a package holiday and hired a car to go off the beaten track I never really felt in my comfort zone, especially when calling at a Petrol station and nearly had my throat ripped out by two very aggressive Rottwielers, with the owner frantically shouting Perro, Perro, as I approached, thank God they were on very substantial chains.

Brian Kirby - 2012-01-22 1:14 PM

Apologies for OT, but you could always take the route via Irun, at the NW end of the Pyrenees, depending on destination.

Both times we went we have used D933/N135 via St Jean Pied-de-Port, to Pamplona, then onward route depending on destination. Either way Andalusia via Burgos/Madrid, or Murcia/Valencia via Zaragoza.

When we lived in Wales that was the easiest route for going to Valencia/Alicante without using peages. We had some variation so as to avoid towns and cities on the way.

To avoid Bayonne we turned off the free autoroute at Castets for Dax,then via Salies-de-Bearn to St Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Over the pass to Roncesvalles, then Agoitz to bring you onto the autovia south of Pamplona.

All were pleasant and quiet roads for a motorhome.

Key thing is get this in perspective. There is crime every where; main thing is to take sensible precautions but not to let it stop us going where we want to go. If you think parts of Spain are bad then try visiting Manta in Ecuador, where when we were there a few years ago even wagon loads of tuna fish required guards armed with automatic weapons. Or Acapulco, Mexico, where just last year on the street opposite where our ship was berthed, four people were shot dead the previous day and the army patrol the streets in armed cars. But in both places we saw sights we would not want to have missed and therefore do not regret going.

Guest JudgeMental
buxton-arts - 2012-01-23 8:00 PM

agree entirely ... keep in perspective ... I have been round trenchtown Jamaica (all hotels have razor wire on the island) without problems .... but do feel nervous in Manchester on a Saturday night !!!

:-)

My neighbour when we lived in clapham sailed around the world for a time with someone who built hs own yacht...he left in south America and flew home...the chap continued with his girl friend and when they arrived in Jamaica he was shot dead leaving the boat *-)

it was in all the papers, and many years ago. I have forgotten the names :-S

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have received a reply from Bill Cash MP who enclosed a reply from the Spanish Ambassador, Carlos Casajuana.

http://i44.tinypic.com/ioq36c.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/nyzlmt.jpg

I will be contacting Bill Cash asking him to forward suggestions to the Ambassador over improving the level of communication skills between the Mossos d' Esquadra and robbery victims, a more proactive Policing of the Autopista, multi lingual visible warning awareness, 'hot spot' warnings, along with CCTV, the presence of which appears to be fairly scant by comparison to UK motorways with CCTV covering virtually all.

We are known as 'the most watched nation' for good reason where CCTV borders on the obsessive! Not to mention the 'activities' of the NSA at Menwith Hill........but that's another story!

I know when this thread started it concerned Spain but now it has strayed off all round the World I feel that adding France to the discussion may help others avoid what occurred on a French municipal camp site last summer.

The site was surrounded by a well maintained fence but unsupervised pedestrian access was possible 24 hours a day. In one night 11 units were robbed, mostly through partially open windows, the fly screens were cut and nearby caravan steps used to gain height to reach into the units as the occupants slept. The other method was the screwdriver in the lock of a campervan while the campers slept in the awning.

Not one of the occupants of the 11 units woke and by daylight, according to the local police, the thieves would have been well away from the area.

terryW - 2012-02-04 5:22 PM

I know when this thread started it concerned Spain but now it has strayed off all round the World I feel that adding France to the discussion may help others avoid what occurred on a French municipal camp site last summer.

The site was surrounded by a well maintained fence but unsupervised pedestrian access was possible 24 hours a day. In one night 11 units were robbed, mostly through partially open windows, the fly screens were cut and nearby caravan steps used to gain height to reach into the units as the occupants slept. The other method was the screwdriver in the lock of a campervan while the campers slept in the awning.

Not one of the occupants of the 11 units woke and by daylight, according to the local police, the thieves would have been well away from the area.

I know from a first-hand witness that a similar event took place on the campsite at Chartres a few years ago.

Well done for contacting Bill Cash - it seems our M.E.P's (well some of them) together with the Spanish Diplomatic staff are at last seeing that us Brits who live and travel over Europe are a huge source of income and should be nurtured. We in Spain are not economic migrates like many in U.K - we pay our way!

My only criticism of all these posts about being robbed is that it may put off new travellers. A Tom Tom and planning should mean you are never hopelessly lost and searching for 'sites' late at night. At peak times aim to stop by 4 p.m.

We have travelled for many years all over Europe on our Goldwing Bike and trailer. 40,000 mls. on the Bike alone and in our Motorhome's. We have never met anyone who has been robbed, but seen many rude policemen (no worse than U.K). The world over all they want you to do is go away with a crime number. Insure well and claim for everything, but be very sensible with travel - keep cards,money,documents in a safe. Only keep essentials and small amounts of money on you, with it all separated between you and pinned in your poket. Ladies do not carry a handbag. Photo copy everything and hide these in the Motorhome, keep all phone numbers on your phone and plenty of credit. Leave copies with someone at home. Also now days with a Lap top (or posh Tablet/I Phone) you are never far from a McDonalds or a Hotel with free Wi Fi even if you do not have direct internet contact (I am too mean to pay for one) Take with you instruction manuals and a few tools (according to you ability) and service the Motor home before travel. Our well serviced vehicles have never stopped once in 13 yrs of travel (this includes a 14 yr. old Hymer. I do preventative maintainence as well though - fan belts, alternator brushes etc. It is not just the cost of a breakdown , it is the inconvienience.

We will see some of you at East of England Show ground and will pop over to the MMM area (too mean to join) Us and Dougal (dog) would love to see any of you for a glass of very expensive Spanish wine or a G & T. We (Bob & Lydia) are in an Ace Capri (Tracy) with a Confederate flag flying should you be noseying around, as we all do. By the way our X250 short wheel base is lovely, fast, manouverable, confortable and above all 'newish'. We had to admit defeat with the bike as we are too old and porky so bought Tracy with our Hymer and bike money.

We have claimed twice on our Barclays Additions world wide insurance and had wonderful service (both occasions I lost things that matter in America) *-)

terryW - 2012-02-04 5:22 PM

How many claimed to have been gassed? :D

D.

OK let me say that this is a long thread and I haven't read it all but let me say how sorry I am for Bulletguy and all the others who have suffered in this way. It's a horrible world sometimes and the scum who inflict these crimes need locking up for a very long time.

But, just out of interest I checked on where Barcelona is in relation to the French / Spanish border, and guess what, it's not very far.

Bulletguy and others have commentated on the lack of response of the Spanish , but what can they do? Since the Sheningen agreement border controls are obsolete and these criminals know this, they cross over from France, do their (criminal) business in Spain and pop back again, all in a matter of hours, the Spanish Police can do nothing because they can't drive into France (Except in hot pursuit which is rare) they have no files on French criminals, the legal system is different, they themselves have a language problem if they were to conduct enquiries in France, all they can do is file a report, pass it UP the command chain until it gets to some liaison Spanish / French committee where it will get passed DOWN the command chain to some local French police CID man with a pile of files on his desk, and which is he going to concentrate on the burglary of a local resident or some English man on holiday in another country, heck if I ws that French CID officer I know where my priorities would be.

It's the same where we live, there are borders to Poland and Germany within 25 minutes and all the Police here tell me that almost all the crime is committed by Poles and Germans and thery can do NOTHING. Likewise all the crime in Poland and Germany (Within 25 miles of our borders) are committed by Czech scum.

Think about it, free movement of people within the EU sounds like a wonderful democratic freedom, but believe me the criminals are laughing all the way to the bank. Once back in their own country no one can touch them.

And no one seems to bother. How about putting that to the MEP Dave Cash

This is a red herring. If you read the thread you will see that the perpetrators of this particular scam are Barcelona residents of foreign nationality who have been regularly arrested by the Spanish police. The problem is political because they are soon released and not worried about being caught when they repeat their offenses. All they seem to get is a small fine or short spell in jail.

First let me make clear that I was not in Barcelona but south of it on the AP7 in an area called Vilafranca del Penedes which is 120 miles from the French border.

We of course are an EU member state who did not sign up to the Schengen agreement unlike virtually all of west Europe. But any foreigner committing a crime here in the UK cannot simply 'escape back to their own country where no-one can touch them' because the Extradition Act covers all of these countries and is reciprocal. Spain can extradite a criminal from the UK and vice versa. UK can extradite criminals from Czech, Poland, Spain, Germany etc etc.....also vice versa. In fact the real controversy over the Extradition Act is not with European countries at all but the USA. America can extradite a UK citizen living in the UK who may have committed an offence under US law (even when resident in the UK), but we do not have that reciprocal right over US citizens either in the US or outside of the US.

So the real issue we have over extradition is not with any European countries.....but with the USA.

Back OT. There is much the Spanish authorities could do to curb these robberies but don't seem to be doing very much. That it usually occurs in broad daylight in full view of the public does not say much for the Police who are supposed to be there enforcing the law.

However, if what I have read about the Spanish Criminal Justice system is correct then to a point I can understand the frustration felt by the Police in bringing these criminals to Court. But that does not excuse the laissez faire attitude shown by the Spanish Police and authorities.

A more proactive Policing is needed where they are seen to be taking action......not sitting around chatting and larking about like I experienced both at the roadside and the Police Station.

I had always believed Spain to be a civilised country so I was quite surprised when I came back here to find this type of robbery is rife in Spain and on the increase. Considering the money which tourism must bring in each and every year, I would have expected the authorities to crack down more swiftly and heavily. It's in their interest to do so. Hopefully a nudge from the Spanish Ambassador will wake them up but I think they need a bit more than just a nudge.

This link here tells a lot about how and why these criminals are getting away with what really is 'daylight robbery'. (I fell in Category 2).

http://www.robbedinbarcelona.com/2011/12/12/fines-and-jailtime-for-robbery-in-barcelona-explained/

Guest 1footinthegrave
We have only been to Spain twice and that was a quite a few years ago, I was immediately struck by the fact that most houses resembled Wormwood Scrubs with their iron barred windows, and the amount of Rottweilers or similar that people kept ready to tear out your throat, all rather disconcerting we thought. I'm sure there are many places in France that are a bit no go, but have never felt the sense of unease that we did in Spain.

Archived