norfolk broads trip

scud24

Hello everbody Iam planning a trip up to the norfolk broads at the end january.Has anybody got any sites they could recommend that are situated near the broads.Iam touring in a motorhome so would at the least need hook up on site and peace and quiet(so not intrested in Great Yarmouth :-D ).Iam going up for bird watching so sites near hickling broad stubbs mill or strumpshaw would be ideal.Any suggestions would be gratefulllly received.Thankyou.

Hi

This is probably no use to you at all really but we have just come back from another weekend at Poplar Farm which is about 3 miles from Wroxham Broad. ( http://poplarfarm-norfolk.co.uk/ ). Its a very quiet site with hookup etc available. This is quite a long way from the area you mentioned and I don't know what its like for bird watching!

Paul

Good birding territory as is the coast further north. There don't seem to be many campsites in ideal places though - the nature of the terrain I guess - and some of the more rural ones aren't open in winter. Are you CCC members? Their Norwich Camping and Caravanning Club Site is much more rural than it sounds and conveniently placed. Being low season it would be about £6/pp/night plus the £3.75 Serviced pitch fee which includes hardstanding and electricity. It's an extra £7 if you're not a member but a discount of about £1.50/pp/night if you're members and over 55(?). There's some wild camping too. Sounds like you know the hotspots but don't miss the big corvid roost at Buckenham - reactions vary between 'fantastic' and 'worst nightmare' depending on where you stand on massed crows! The raptor and crane roost at the NWT reserve can be good too. Email me if you want any more info about spots we've enjoyed.

Forgot one - Clippesby Hall commercial site which is normally very expensive but does special winter rates. "ALL-WEATHER CAMPING & TOURING PITCHES: Whatever the weather, our new all-weather, serviced pitches in the Old Orchard are ideal for tents or tourers during the autumn and winter months. Close to our centrally heated toilet and shower block, with their own water point and drain, this is winter camping without the mud! All for £11.50 per night (with electric hook-ups available for an additional charge) from 25th September until 31st March 2012 (excepting October half term)". I think electricity is the same as CCC £3.75. Quite a good location for the Hickling area.

colin - 2011-12-18 7:42 PM... p.s. If you visit Snettisham reserve (beside the Wash) at dusk you will see the swans/geese heading out enmasse.

Great sight as is the dawn version and the phenomenal collection of waders roosting if a very high tide. Last time I was there the RSPB had erected height barriers though so parking was difficult.

Guest 1footinthegrave
neillking - 2011-12-19 11:35 AM

colin - 2011-12-18 7:42 PM... p.s. If you visit Snettisham reserve (beside the Wash) at dusk you will see the swans/geese heading out enmasse.

Great sight as is the dawn version and the phenomenal collection of waders roosting if a very high tide. Last time I was there the RSPB had erected height barriers though so parking was difficult.

Sounds about par for the course, nice to know we're welcome in yet another place.

Archived