mobile phone

chas

Hi- I am looking to upgrade my very old mobile phone. I would like to get a bog standard pay as you go type that will work in France and Spain. It will only be used to contact the breakdown service if needed ! Dont know much on modern phones [ dont really want to ] any advise on cost of operation and model would be helpful. thanks Chas

I think just about any new phone works in france or spain(my last two have), it needs to be dual band, if you want to use in usa then it needs to be tri band, if you want coverage world wide it needs to be quadband. If you want to use occasionaly then your uk operator will charge you a fortune (untill eu sort it out) If it is for longer use then see www.0044.co.uk for sim cards. You may have to contact your operator to allow use abroad and if using other sims may have to unlock phone, think it last cost me £5 on local market but this voids any warenty.

Chas. I have a bog standard Nokia about £60 pay as you go with O2 When I bought it I had it registerd for world wide, that was a free service offered by O2. We have used it in Europe and South Africa. Cheap to use 10p a min for calls. It can be expensive using it in Europe because of calls having to br routed via UK. There is a thread on the forum last year sometime rfe buying sim cards in France it works out a lot cheaper. Icidently my Daughter has a state of the art phone that takes photos etc, etc and it wont work in Europe. David

Archived