2011 into 2012

longtemps

We all visit dealers regularly up and down the country and in the course of a conversation usually ask "how's business?" The answers obviously vary from salesmen to mechanic, the latter being usually more candid.

However, I wonder what the forum members take is on the general level of sales in 2011 throughout our dealer network and more importantly what is your opinion going into 2012?

Sorry but I don't visit dealers regularly, (if ever) and I doubt if many individuals on the forum have a wide knowledge of the " general level of sales throughout our dealer network in 2011 "

I personally would doubt that, with VAT at 20%, 2012 is likely to be a bumper year for motorhome sales.

But, who knows ?

;-)

According to the figures published by the European Caravan Federation, registrations in the UK were slightly up for the first half year in 2011 by about 8%.

See here: http://e-c-f.org/fileadmin/templates/4825/images/statistics/europazul-4.pdf

Their press release (also available at e-c-f.org) states that overall in Europe sales were up by 6.7%.

Motorhome dealers in Switzerland, Norway and Sweden have enjoyed 2011 as they saw sales rise by 25% to 34%!

Steve

Hymer UK retrenched from Preston to the remaining Brownhills site suggesting that sales are not looking good for imports in 2012. They made the announcement after the NEC show. Any exporter to the UK is likely to find the relatively strong Euro is going to make life difficult for them in the UK. Some have effectively pulled out whilst others say they will weather the storm. Their hope for the UK must be a weakening of the Euro although I wonder whether that would damage their continental markets.

Swift has again rationalised its lines and thus must be expecting a tougher 2012.

The high leverage redundancies have probably passed so any redundancies in 2012 will be at the lower costs and thus no lump sums for buying a motorhome.

I suspect the market will remain tough but there will be sales. Those firms who have trimmed back their borrowing and costs will probably keep going whilst those with high debt, such as we saw with Discover, will probably find it hard.

My guess is a flat to lowering market, more dealers giving up, and manufacturers just about surviving as the continental firms find life in the UK too difficult. What market there is may become dominated by surviving UK firms. Then again, a change in the health of the Euro can upset everything

I wouldn't want to bet my firm on the future of the industry in 2012.

Archived