Motorhome or HGV?

Vixter

Have been attempting to arrange MOT for our N+B when we get it back to the UK. The testing station wants to know if it has a cargo space,well it has a garage as do most MH's now. According to the testing station if the access is more than a metre wide it is a goods vehicle, and has to tested accordingly. Has anyone come across this little problem before ??

Don't suppose it was April the 1st when you asked the question??? Alternatively it could just be that they are trying to get shot of you as they don't want the buisness or they are trying to get more money. I really can't believe what they are saying for one minute and suggest you contact your local DVLA office for the correct situation. I just hope they can stop laughing long enough to answer you! Please do let us know what the outcome is though.

Hi Mel Due to the height of the N+B there are not many places that can accept it . So I had to locate a commercial vehicle test centre. That is where the confusion started. Incidentally I did try the DVLA website and a search for both motor homes and motor caravans produced nothing. Clearly we dont exist other than HGV's with massive sleeper cabs!! However this could be an interesting saga.......ps q was asked 12 hours ago not on 1st April!!

Hi there,have just joined up, so will i be able to advise you of another forum whose members own motorhomes including RV's.if you post a question on their site you will get answers,but dont forget to state location you are heading for. try; www.motorhomefacts.com good luck in your travels.

John Thanks for that link and also for the other forum link from the previous contributor. I must admit that Im rather looking forward to the explanation from the Vehicle testing station. They did mention it was a class 4,so where they get the goods vehicle identity from remains a mystery. However there is nothing like a bit of officialdom to brighten ones day. Vixter

Archived