Charging engine battery

afandy

Hi...I have a 2003 Rollerteam Pegaso 181 which is based on a Fiat 2.8 which I've had for for the last 5 years which has served me well..but this time of year it obviously sits there ...I plug in the lead for charging which charges the habitation battery fine but doesn't seem to charge the engine battery ....no mention in the handbook to switch to anything different ....in fact the handbook covers many other base models but not that informative ...any ideas anyone ? The electic system is Nordelectronica which I think went Kaput some time ago ...Here's Hoping...

Not all on board power supplies and systems have the facility to charge the engine battery as well.

You will need to use a separate charger for the engine battery. There are options such as using a battery to battery charger, or even just connectng up a fused lead between the leisure and engine battery but will have to be disconnected before starting the engine or the fuse will blow. Hence why a fused lead. Best option I would suggest is a separate battery charger which has 3 stages and folds back to a trickle charge, or just a simple cheap plug in trickle charger.

Sounds like you need a battery master fitting, to enable the cab battery to be charged at the same time as the leisure battery, when on hook-up.

http://www.vanbitz.com/product/Battery_Master_BMaster

Been thinking about one myself, but so far we've managed to keep the cab battery charged OK by using the van every so often through the winter.

My Solar panel provider solarenergieberlin@googlemail.com has made this item to keep my motorhome vehicle battery charged up, I have cut and pasted part of their email.

The 3rd solution is using 1 MPPT charger connecting the 2 panels to

charge your habitation batteries.

However the difference is that you connect a small diode/MOSFET

circuit from the positive pole of the habitation to the vehicle

starter battery. This gives a maintainance current to the vehicle

battery from the PV/MPPTcharger/habitation batteries. You can set(I

can set) this current to whatever you need. It would be nice to

measure how much does the Ford/Fiat consume in standby (remove the positive

pole of your starter battery and put a multimeter in between to see

what is exactly the standby current.).

So basically we can steal some current from the habitation and

photovoltaics combo to always keep the starter battery fully charged.

hi all,

coincidence this question arising again as i was very interested in the same thing.

found the comparison on different chargers on another website and came across

a posting from clive from a couple of years ago, followed the diagram and bottom

line is it works. Saves me switching charger on every week as i have a solar panel

which is now charging 2 leisure batteries and the engine battery.

thank you clive.

Archived