Hogmanay 2011 Dunkeld

magbrin

If anyone is about in east central Scotland and would like to join us, we will be celebrating Hogmanay again in Dunkeld.

Coming from the south we will be in a white Renault Master PVC at the far end of the car park on the riverside, just past the Taybank hotel. (turn right off the A9, then right again just over the bridge over the Tay.) The party will be in the Car Park of the hotel. Last year they had an excellent band and an ice rink (unscheduled ) It is family friendly and free - but only drinks bought in the hotel are allowed in the car park. BTW We will be driving up from Carlisle, so may not be there before dark.

Hope to see one or two of you

Margaret

Hi Margaret. I've been told, by someone at the Taybank Hotel, that camper vans are not allowed to park overnight anywhere in Dunkeld. Presumably this is not the case as you appear to done just that, last Hogmanay. Did you have any problems? Again presumably not or you wouldn't be returning! We would like to try to go there, depending on family matters so maybe we'll see you there.

ike

ike - 2011-12-29 7:05 PM

Hi Margaret. I've been told, by someone at the Taybank Hotel, that camper vans are not allowed to park overnight anywhere in Dunkeld. Presumably this is not the case as you appear to done just that, last Hogmanay. Did you have any problems? Again presumably not or you wouldn't be returning! We would like to try to go there, depending on family matters so maybe we'll see you there.

ike

Hi, IkeFirstly - hope you can make it!Secondly we have parked MANY times in the said car park, on our way up and down the A9. In fact we were first told about it by the owner of the Taybank - when we asked to park in his car park.There is no restriction to parking (or was not when we were last there a few motnhs ago) but weekdays you have to start paying at about 8 or 9 am, and it isn't free until after 6 or 7. Very often when we have been there there have been other vans there too. The car park at the north end of Dunkeld does have restrictions.We are on limited internet as we are travelling from Newcastle to Carlisle to Dunkeld, but hope to see you tomorrow.All the bestMargaret

Thanks for that. The Taybank has changed hands but you probably know that. The previous owner was Dougie McLean, well kent folkie. The new ones are Nigel and Beverley Large. Maybe the new owners take a different view of us travelling folk? I made the mistake of asking if it was possible to park in their car park. (I hadn't read your post properly.) The response was a very frosty "no chance" and she then went on to say no "camping" anywhere. I hope the ambience of the Taybank doesn't change with the new owners. We won't make it after all but will use the car park in the future. It's such a lovely part of the country. If you read this before "the bells" - all the best.

ike

Archived