E Readers

fairweather camper

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8-) Several people hear have said the kindle 3G is free

It costs $1 mb and $1 for every bit over one meg 1mb & 1kb =$2

There is a firefox app also an android app with which you can add pages, books,images from your browser via your kindle account

I use a Sony 8-)

The sony non wi-fi is indeed a "bit naff"is very well built very nice e reader. *-)

The "new"prs T1 with wi-fi is far better also much faster.The Browser works well is also fast for an e-reader and can download free books or less costly ones

The browser is useful for checking email looking on line if you dont have an ipad, Galaxy phone or if your laptop weighs more than 800 grams 8-)

The sony browser dose act rather eccentrically is fast and efficient at last The new sony is very light and fragile 8-)

Im staying with my old one which i add papers books via the SD card sonys menu system is indeed very "naff" then deleat add via laptop to SD card

from the kindle info site

I wanted to use the kindle app to send data to my sony

Unfortunately the kindle email address is only possible when you buy a kindle

the 3G rate was about voderphone rate If you dont have an account with card details nor a credit with them then you have a good thing as you can email from anywhere with 3G/wi-fi which is very useful

Their price tends to be 2e as they bill you when just over the mega byte

I have had a 3G Kindle for a few months now and I think its a great machine. You have to bear in mind that it is designed to be an ereader - using the internet etc is a bonus.

I think maybe you have to be selective when choosing books. Just because the Kindle can store up to 3,500 books doesn't mean you have to download that many! I usually go to the Kindle storefront and click on Kindle bestsellers. From the page that appears click on the 'free bestsellers' link in the top right hand corner for a good selection (about 100) of free books. I have read several books from this list and found them to be very good - Penal Colony by Richard Herley is one I particularly liked.

The 3G side of the Kindle works very well I found. On a recent break I could not find a free wifi signal so could not use my laptop to check emails. The Kindle came to the rescue and worked fine - not ideal to type on of course but much easier than texting on a phone for example. The 3G works straight out of the box - no registering, no card details given so I can't see how they could possibly charge you for anything.

Paul

No-one's yet mentioned the REALLY wonderful thing about Kindle -

YOU CAN BUY MY BOOK ON IT! :D :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FAQ-tricky-Christian-faith-ebook/dp/B005XM21H0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1325588361&sr=1-1

Anyone getting fed up with me plugging this yet? Don't worry, it ain't going to make me too rich at ahtat price!

Happy new year all.

Tony

PS I'm told you can also put Kindle books onto i-thingys too.

Aha ! Another book ( I can download as a Sample! )

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

With regard to my earlier entries on this thread, I am starting to warm to my Kindle !

Certainly a lot easier to read from the Kindle than some of the older books with small fonts and tight layout of yesteryear.

Part of the fun is freebie hunting and finding material that is a good read.

Maybe we should start a "Good Kindle Read" thread.

Rgds

I spend several months a year wild camping and wouldnt be without my Kindle ... having a wide selection of reading matter available is a boon to vanners ... and the option to read emails etc when away from a free hotspot for the smartfone or laptop is a bonus.

Since getting an early version of the Kindle ... and now on the wifi/3G keypad version I also sell a selection of maps, calendars and books (there my plug !!! see

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=john+fitton&x=18&y=13

I find that a combination of a Kindle + a Galaxy S2 smartfone fullfills all my touring needs ... I now rarely get the laptop out ... unless I'm writing my next book whilst wildcamping on a costa !!!

I got a kindle a year ago and its been absolutely brilliant,we usually travel for up to 9 weeks at a time and I read very fast!!! The amount of extra storage space we now have in the van is amazing, on the downside I miss pottering round a campsite with my finished books, chatting to people and swapping books and then having the fun of reading books I wouldn't normally have picked. On the plus side I have now read a lot of the classics as they are free and many of them are really good and because you can't see the size of the book or the small print not nearly so off putting as the real thing.

I have the 3G/wifi Kindle so thank you Frankkia for your suggestion on to download Calibre which I have now done. Also thanks to Snail for the suggestion about the library e-books.

I only downloaded Callibre late last night but it seems a bit complicated at the moment so I started to research the library idea. I immediately found my library, as I thought, which turned out to be a town of the same name in America! Tried again and found the correct library who are using Bloomsbury Library Online. There does not seem to be a great choice but have accessed one book, "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo", but I could not see how to download it, only to read on the computer. Can someone give me some pointers please? I should like to set it up before I leave for France on Saturday.

Patricia - 2012-01-11 8:11 AM

I have the 3G/wifi Kindle so thank you Frankkia for your suggestion on to download Calibre which I have now done. Also thanks to Snail for the suggestion about the library e-books.

I only downloaded Callibre late last night but it seems a bit complicated at the moment so I started to research the library idea. I immediately found my library, as I thought, which turned out to be a town of the same name in America! Tried again and found the correct library who are using Bloomsbury Library Online. There does not seem to be a great choice but have accessed one book, "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo", but I could not see how to download it, only to read on the computer. Can someone give me some pointers please? I should like to set it up before I leave for France on Saturday.

If you connect your Kindle to your computer you should be able to download it direct. It is not ideal, I agree but it is a way of getting the book to read. I highly recommend this book, I have read that one and the Girl who Plays With Fire and am now on The Girl who Kicked a Hornets Nest. Bear with your one as a lot of the book is laying out the plot and then it will just take off and you will be hooked.

How long does the book last on your kindle before it vanishes - 2 weeks or 3?

fairweather camper - 2012-01-10 2:32 PM

HI just been to my Library, (newtown), who do an e reader service, but the lady tells me that you cannot download onto a Kindle, can anyone tell me if you would be able to if you had the Calibre software.

Thanks

Yes just download in one of the formats available and import into Calibre & convert to Mobi, the epub format converts well & quickly. Calibre does a good job converting PDF's but they don't always come out right so try the other formats first.

Hi all,

I have been toying with buying an E reader but I havnt seen any input so far about the ability, or not, to download CC, CCC, ACSI, Camping Cheque, Reise Mobil stellplatz, sostas and aires or All the Aires of France (including all their maps) what a weight and space saving that would be!!

We are thinking of buying a Kindle possibly one each a standard one and a 3g one.I have been following this thread and are convinced by the feedback they are well worth having , what has surprised me whilst watching some on e-bay is the number of people who are paying almost the full price for a Kindle on e-bay when they can buy a brand new one for only an extra £5 , do these people not do their homework ?  

kelly58 - 2012-01-12 8:45 AM

We are thinking of buying a Kindle possibly one each a standard one and a 3g one.I have been following this thread and are convinced by the feedback they are well worth having , what has surprised me whilst watching some on e-bay is the number of people who are paying almost the full price for a Kindle on e-bay when they can buy a brand new one for only an extra £5 , do these people not do their homework ?  

If you are buying the 3G one for the internet access it would be wise to check that this is still available (see earlier post by Mel, I think). You are right about Ebay - some sellers are becoming very greedy and their postage rates much too high.

As this thread continues, I've copied my post from the "Hints and Tips" section for those who might not have seen it passing ;-) .

===

Having had some problems getting Hotmail to work on the Kindle browser, I Googled for answers.

There appeared to be varying opinions on the best method of resolving, but most pointed towards using the mobile interface.

In searching further, I then found this site:

http://www.kinstant.com/

Which is a repository for a large set of links which are optimised for the Kindle (generally the mobile versions of sites).

If you bookmark it, it saves you having to remember all the appropriate optimised links, and is a good starter for Kindle Browser use.

(for instance, the Hotmail and BBC News links load the mobile versions of each of these sites - needless to say, I can now use Hotmail quite easily on the Kindle)

fairweather camper - 2012-01-10 2:32 PM

HI just been to my Library, (newtown), who do an e reader service, but the lady tells me that you cannot download onto a Kindle, can anyone tell me if you would be able to if you had the Calibre software.

Thanks

Theoretically you should be able to, but the books from the library are only a temporary download lasting 2-3 weeks. It would surely be worth trying, but its the conversion to MOBI that may prove difficult as the library may have put something in there to stop you doing it.

I have written to my library (Bedfordshire) service asking them to introduce the MOBI format so that us kindle users can download their books. I am awaiting a response from them. Perhaps if enough users write asking then we may get the opportunity. So far I have downloaded 30 free books from Amazon so I don't really need the library at the moment.

plumbersvan - 2012-01-12 10:16 AM

With 3G??? wi-fi??? or via your laptop????

You dont make it clear :-S

Can you download your email with Kindle 3G or is that a paid service (?)

If you're asking me, then the capability I'm referring to is for the Kindle 3G (whether connected by 3G or Wifi).

Going to the site mentioned on your Kindle, and then bookmarking it (effectively saving it as a favourite) gives a quick single point of reference for Kindle browser optimised links, which can then be clicked on.

With a caveat about the warnings already posted on the potential withdrawal in the future of 3G use for other than core purposes, downloading (and sending) of eMail on existing purchases of the Kindle 3G is currently free (using either wifi or the 3G service).

The Kindle browser is simple, the interface is somewhat "clunky" and it may not work with all "webmail" services (I have used both Hotmail and my ISPs webmail service successfully), but it does serve as a good, cheap and flexible standby.

If you both have eReaders I would recommend downloading to a PC & importing to Calibre then you can download the book to more than one reader.

If you download a Mobi file direct to a Kindle you can only lend the book to another person after you have read it and the loan only lasts two weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
kelly58 - 2012-02-01 4:09 PM

If you are quick order from Tesco Direct to collect in store they are £10 off until midnight just been and picked my two up ordered Tuesday saved £20 ,

did you do 1 deal or 2 if you did 2 you would have got 2 x10p of fuel tickets and on the first deal a £5 off kindle ticket to use on the second Kindle saving £15 on this one total £25

Archived