E Readers

fairweather camper

On the subject of kindles hve recently discovered thta you can buy cd's full of books through Ebay approx £3 each with on average 5000 books on each. Very easy to download, I think I've now got enough books to last me forever!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Easyliving - 2012-01-03 7:21 AM

I have had a 3G Kindle for a few months now and I think its a great machine. You have to bear in mind that it is designed to be an ereader - using the internet etc is a bonus.

I think maybe you have to be selective when choosing books. Just because the Kindle can store up to 3,500 books doesn't mean you have to download that many! I usually go to the Kindle storefront and click on Kindle bestsellers. From the page that appears click on the 'free bestsellers' link in the top right hand corner for a good selection (about 100) of free books. I have read several books from this list and found them to be very good - Penal Colony by Richard Herley is one I particularly liked.

You must have been lucky. I have tried several of the freebie books, and they've all been a load of rubbish! I suppose there is a reason why they are free. if they were any good they'd have been properly published. Still, I might try the one you suggested.

Pam

Paul

Easyliving - 2012-01-03 7:21 AM

I have had a 3G Kindle for a few months now and I think its a great machine. You have to bear in mind that it is designed to be an ereader - using the internet etc is a bonus.

I think maybe you have to be selective when choosing books. Just because the Kindle can store up to 3,500 books doesn't mean you have to download that many! I usually go to the Kindle storefront and click on Kindle bestsellers. From the page that appears click on the 'free bestsellers' link in the top right hand corner for a good selection (about 100) of free books. I have read several books from this list and found them to be very good - Penal Colony by Richard Herley is one I particularly liked.

You must have been lucky. I have tried several of the freebie books, and they've all been a load of rubbish! I suppose there is a reason why they are free. if they were any good they'd have been properly published. Still, I might try the one you suggested.

Pam

Paul

Guest JudgeMental

I'm going to wait for the colour kindle fire...God knows when its due though *-)

I nearly bought the blackberry playbook last week as it has been heavily reduced and I have a BB phone. really want a 7inch device that I can browse the Internet on, get email and read books and a bit more then on a dedicated e reader. I appreciate that the back lit screen not as good as the e reader kindles, or battery life not comparable either, but prepared to put up with that for more functionality..

The 7 inch I pad 3 is due March as well........

The Kindle is absolutely brilliant as an e-reader. It's light, the battery lasts for ages and the text is very easy on the eye.

It may be counter-intuitive, but a better option might be to buy the cheapest Kindle to use as an e-reader, and also buy a tablet of some sort to do everything else. Android tablets are quite cheap now although looking at the reviews there are big differences in quality. Android 4 has been designed to power tablets and may be the one to go for as it comes down in price.

I'm sure the next I pad will be stunning, but you will pay quite a premium for it.

Just went into the garden to check - sun is pretty bright at the moment.

I have the cheap £89 Kindle.

If the sun shines directly onto the screen there is quite a bit of reflection - enough to make if difficult to read. However, if I change the angle of the screen very slightly then the reflection of the sun goes and the screen is perfect.

Likewise when using a light. In normal conditions with a bedside light there are no issues whatsoever, although it may be that I automatically compensate by changing the angle ever so slightly. When I use a clip on LED booklight I aim the centre of the beam just off the screen and there are no problems with reflections.

Compared with the shiny computer screens that are used these days (because, I am told, everyone wants to watch movies on their computers!) there is no contest. I have to find shade if I want to use my laptop outside, and even then it can be quite a struggle. Even my older laptop with a less shiny screen is much more difficult to use than the Kindle.

I can only suggest that you experiment with changing the angle of the screen slightly, although I'm sure you've tried this already. I can't imagine there is much variation between devices (I also assume that you aren't using the Kindle fire which does, I believe, have a reflective screen).

Archived