Road tax due whilst touring abroad

wints

We'll be in Spain 'till late April, but the road tax is due at the beginning of April, so what are my options ?

Our daughter lives 200 mls from our home adress, so if I were to tax online I wouldn't expect her to travel to ours just to pick up the disc and send it to Spain.

I thought I'd read (somewhere) that I could hand in my existing disc and be refunded for the remaining months, and then take out new road tax from that date.

My mot is current until August 2012.

Any ideas ?

regards

Allen

wints - 2011-12-29 5:47 PM.................................I thought I'd read (somewhere) that I could hand in my existing disc and be refunded for the remaining months, and then take out new road tax from that date...................

regards

Allen

Yes you can. However, do it in good time, as it can take a while to turn around.

Guest Tracker

Just make sure the old disc and refund form reaches the DVLA before the last day of the month or they will dock you another month - they are very good at that.

It might pay to send it recorded delivery (now imaginatively called 'signed for delivery') so that you can prove the date of delivery rather than them use the day they got round to handling it!

Brian Kirby - 2011-12-29 7:12 PM

wints - 2011-12-29 5:47 PM.................................I thought I'd read (somewhere) that I could hand in my existing disc and be refunded for the remaining months, and then take out new road tax from that date...................

regards

Allen

Yes you can. However, do it in good time, as it can take a while to turn around.

Thanks for that Brian (& Tracker). I'll try our local DVLA office tomorrow. It's worth a trip, I may be gone for some time !

Allen

Tracker - 2011-12-29 7:21 PM

Just make sure the old disc and refund form reaches the DVLA before the last day of the month or they will dock you another month - they are very good at that.

It might pay to send it recorded delivery (now imaginatively called 'signed for delivery') so that you can prove the date of delivery rather than them use the day they got round to handling it!

Rather than waste money on paying more for postage than you have to, just ask for a posting receipt from the post office when you send it (don't just stick a stamp on and put it in the post box), you then have proof of when you sent it to them.

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2011-12-30 3:34 PM

Rather than waste money on paying more for postage than you have to, just ask for a posting receipt from the post office when you send it (don't just stick a stamp on and put it in the post box), you then have proof of when you sent it to them.

Proof of posting is not proof of receipt and will be useless in this situation Mel.

wints - 2011-12-29 7:41 PM

Brian Kirby - 2011-12-29 7:12 PM

regards

Allen

Thanks for that Brian (& Tracker). I'll try our local DVLA office tomorrow. It's worth a trip, I may be gone for some time !

Allen

Well, I went (15 mins to Preston DVLA), expected to be there for over an hour in a big queue (I've been before !), and they were shut ! Don't re-open 'till Tues 3 Jan.

I'll leave it 'till later in Jan.

Allen

I had the same situation a couple of years or so ago, as having purchased the new Motorhome, it was registered with the tax disc expiring end of June...exactly the time we would always be away on the continent every year..

I looked into it, and this forum was very helpful in finding the answer - in out case the localPost Offcie (in Asda!) are abel to deal with Vehicle licencing, and I got a new licence ruuning, I think, from April, and ent the old one by post to DVLA and the refund for the 'unused' months on the old was wwas sent to me without any delay.

Tracker - 2011-12-30 4:12 PM

Proof of posting is not proof of receipt and will be useless in this situation Mel.

Their 'form' actually says it just has to be POSTED TO them before the end of the month, not RECEIVED BY them. We have sent our own discs back in the past with only a day or two before the end of the month and not had a problem (only getting a proof of postage) - the fact that you have sent it back before the end of the month should be sufficient - on a proof of postage they put on details of where the item has been sent to so you do have proof that it left your 'ownership' before the end of the month.

But if you you'd rather pay for the 'Signed for delivery' that's up to you. :-D

DVLA.jpg.e25e5c6bbdf4375f2608ce90c9f3c566.jpg

Guest Tracker

For the sake of 77p who cares - I only know that when I did it my way I got the missing month out of them when I queried their payment.

Whatever gives you peace of mind - and 77p gives me peace of mind as it is also a proof of posting in case it gets lost.

Tracker - 2011-12-30 8:15 PM

For the sake of 77p who cares - I only know that when I did it my way I got the missing month out of them when I queried their payment.

Whatever gives you peace of mind - and 77p gives me peace of mind as it is also a proof of posting in case it gets lost.

As I said, you do it how you want ... to quote you: "There are no right or wrong ways - just different!" :-D

Mel B - 2011-12-30 5:47 PM

Their 'form' actually says it just has to be POSTED TO them before the end of the month, not RECEIVED BY them. We have sent our own discs back in the past with only a day or two before the end of the month and not had a problem (only getting a proof of postage) - the fact that you have sent it back before the end of the month should be sufficient - on a proof of postage they put on details of where the item has been sent to so you do have proof that it left your 'ownership' before the end of the month.

I think your interpretation is dangerous, Mel. It says "posted to us". That implies receipt, not mere posting. Otherwise, it would say "posted". If you tried claiming back from the DVLA the portion of your VED that had been lost due to your letter going astray, on the basis that you had proof of posting only, I think the DVLA would smile sweetly and say "not us Chick, try the Post Office, it was them you gave it to"!

Brian Kirby - 2011-12-30 11:54 PM

Mel B - 2011-12-30 5:47 PM

I think your interpretation is dangerous, Mel. It says "posted to us". That implies receipt, not mere posting. Otherwise, it would say "posted". If you tried claiming back from the DVLA the portion of your VED that had been lost due to your letter going astray, on the basis that you had proof of posting only, I think the DVLA would smile sweetly and say "not us Chick, try the Post Office, it was them you gave it to"!

A bit of friendly pedantry....

I disagree.

I take "posted to us" to mean exactly what it says:

1. Has been put into the postal system.

2. Was addressed to us.

It doesn't to me mean "has been received by us".......it says to me that we must be beyond the start of the postal process, but it does not imply that we must be past the end of it.

If it said "must be received by us before the end of the month" then I'd agree with you Brian.

But it doesn't - the conditional act is that of posting. Not arrival. Simply posting.

Ergo, so long as you had put it in the post before the end of the month, you should get the following months RFL back.......being able to prove that you did so is of course very very useful if they try to deny you that months refund.

I'd certainly be starting a case under their grievance procedure if they diddled me out of a months RFL so long as I could prove that I'd posted the disc back to them before the end of the month prior; 'cos I really don't think the wording they've used enables them to do that.

In my heart I agree Bruce, but one is then left with no evidence of delivery. So, I'm agreeing with Rich, better to have positive evidence that they got it, than a potential argument over whether they should have got it. It seemed that what the OP was after, was a quick, certain, solution.

My head tells me that that Rich's recorded solution offers that better than Mel's. I just have this nagging little doubt over the outcome of arguing semantics (or even pedantry :-)) with a government agency when the refund of money is involved. Shame on me! :-D

yep when I sent my log-book to Swansea it went recorded delivery.

But I then began to think how many other poor deluded souls went to the same trouble, is it hundreds could even be thousands per day in the bag to Swansea, and when you hear the stories of how the PO is run now I wonder how much tracking of the letters is done.

On the positive side I reckon that the DVLA seems to work a bit better these days.

When my log-book had'nt returned after 6 weeks earlier this year, I was dreading having to try and phone them.

The last time I tried in 1999 when they lost my driving licence on a change of address, as soon as you dialed the Swansea STD code the phone dropped out there was so many people trying to get through to them.

Now it was straight through,Helpful English accent put me through to the right office, they brought up my letter on their system and acknowlegded it , appolgized for delay, and the log-book was returned within the week.

It's nice to see somethings are perhaps getting a bit better.

Anyhow Happy New Year to you lot out there

HWO

Guest 1footinthegrave

Why not do as we do,

If you know there is a definite month of the year you will not be out of the UK, say January for example, get a fresh MOT, a refund of duty, then of course re-licence, ( I sorned mine for a month) have a chat with your insurers to end then restart your policy, be clear there is not likely to be a big financial hit to do this, with ours there was a modification fee of £20,then in future years everything comes up for renewal at the most convenient time for you and all at the same time. ;-)

Tracker - 2011-12-30 8:15 PM

Have agree with Rich however bear in mind if it gets lost the DVLA won't pay out & the Royal Mail will pay a max of £46 (including postage refund).

The last disc I sent for refund I sent Special Delivery as it was over £100 refund value that way I was covered up to £500.

The Royal Mail do seem to loose a lot of mail these days I get 2-3 items a month lost.

Archived