Cycling in SoutherbSpain

Charles Chodkowski

Guest Peter James
I just park the van and cycle along the seafronts cause its nice and flat. Fuengirola/Benalmadena/Torremolinos/Marbella/La Linea - all good for cycling that time of year.

For what it's worth - my advice would be to get a bit inland, don't just hug the concrete coast - if you venture 10kms or more inland, there's actually a Spain to be discovered. With Spanish people and culture and food and everything.

Guest Peter James
BGD - 2011-12-29 10:54 PM

For what it's worth - my advice would be to get a bit inland, don't just hug the concrete coast - if you venture 10kms or more inland, there's actually a Spain to be discovered. With Spanish people and culture and food and everything.

Yes I would like to do that if/when I have more time down there.

But my priority would be to see the main popular places first.

At least then when people are talking abou them you know what they mean.

And being flat and not so hot and busy in February they are great for cycling.

With English speaking people around in case you get stuck.

We took the bikes to Spain this year (La Manga), got the basic road map from the campsite and this did us well. Alongside the major roads there seems to be service roads which are a lot quieter ideal for bikes. In the quieter season we cycled along promenades (courtesy to pedestrians off course) and even off roaded a bit along shorelines, to join areas up. If you are heading here the Mar is a good to cycle round, you can cross the top at Santiago de la Ribera on a ferry which will take bikes............do check it is running before starting out.

(lol)

Peter James - 2011-12-30 11:27 AM

BGD - 2011-12-29 10:54 PM

Yes I would like to do that if/when I have more time down there.

But my priority would be to see the main popular places first.

At least then when people are talking abou them you know what they mean.

And being flat and not so hot and busy in February they are great for cycling.

With English speaking people around in case you get stuck.

Hi Peter

we have spent alot of time in Spain and never had a problem with the laungage barrier. Everone we have come across has always been ready to use thier broken english to help, feed us and give directions ! I think people abroad are much more open and willing to converse than in the UK and we have found are much more open and friendly.

Would give the inland a go though as the views are breathtaking and little villages are lovley and nice to get away from the pie & chips plus English beer coupled with Sky TV !

Have a great time !

The Bs :-D

Archived