VIN numbers etc

VIN numbers etc  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My wife and I are new into motorhomes and we have found a motorhome that we really like. The problem is that the VIN number on the windscreen does not match the one on the V5. Is it quite easy for a mistake to be made when registering it new ? Also - is there a set format for what a VIN number should look like - ie several letters , then a number , followed by letters, then numbers etc - or can they take any format of numbers and letters ?

Hi, Are you sure the vin number is on the windscreen, its usualy under the bonnet. i think what you have on the screen is a security number. My Fiat based MH has a number on windows this is to do with an International security system, it has no resemblance to the vehicles vin number. The dealer should be able to tell you all about it. Good luck. David

Hi these mistakes can be made I had two trucks with consecutive registration numbers that were mixed up at the time of registration. That is the dealer had put the wrong number plates on the vehicles! Strange thing was that this was not picked up until 3 years later on an annual mot test both vehicles having been tested twice already!! Regards Pat

Hi andyandandrea Yes mistakes can happen but it also worth checking with the dealer to get a valid explanation and to have it corrected - it could also be that the vehicle isn't the one on the V5 and that could be a very costly mistake if it were subsequently shown to be a stolen van. Best regards, david

Archived