Keeping snug in your motorhome

Mel B

Hubby has been giving the van an airing and had put our single electric underblanket in the bed to take the chill off (its more a pad than a full size blanket), but unfortunately it has just given up the ghost. *-) Also, as I am a bit concerned about how cool it will get on a night time when we are away in France/Spain in February/March, I was going to take the electric underblanket with us too .... *-)

Although it was an underblanket it wasn't ideal as we have a memoryfoam topper - having a blanket on top of it would negate the benefit of that, but being cold would be worse. So .... I decided to see what's 'out there' nowadays to replace it and started searching for overblankets which we could still use with the memoryfoam topper, and came across various 'heated throws', the benefit being that they can be used both in the bed or to wrap around me if I'm lounging in the cab etc. The below is on offer at Tesco at the moment and seems to be a very good price.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-4995.aspx

Note that the stated size doesn't make sense as it would be minute - one of the reviewers has one and says that 2 pepole can get under it without a problem so I don't think the stated size is correct (nothing new there ... Tesco often get stuff like this wrong!). Anyway, I've ordered one for collection in store and will report back what it's like.

Just thought others might be interested in it, for use in a motorhome, or at home.

Oh, I did find some 12v versions but would imagine these would be quite pitiful!!!

Guest pelmetman

Last year when we were in Northern France staying at the SIL we were cold......it was minus 10

This year we bought a single duvet as a mattriss topper, its worked a treat, not needed the heating on overnight ;-)

we/ve wintered several yeasr in the Uk, in quite cold conditions including the snow in December 2010, and have never ahd a problem keeping warm - we have asingle duvet underneath, wiht a double one on top, which is 'summer weight' and find as ling as we keep the heating on low overnight (electric setting), and indeed on 24/7, we are really snug. We always try to leave the windows open just on the catch, and the cab has an insulated screen externally,plus the factory fitted blinds inside.

The only trouble we had in the snow was that the waste water outlet or the waste water tank beneath the van froze overnight on a couple of occasions.

Oh, how I wish I didn't feel the cold!

Unfortunately I do feel it more than most people due to my CFS so what is warm to 'normal people' (and I use that term loosely when applying it to you guys!!!!! :D ) can be quite chilly to me. I like the fact that this heated throw has 2 separate controllers/heated areas, so hubby can have his side off/cooler than me and won't cook. :-D

Mel B - 2011-12-30 11:50 PM

Oh, how I wish I didn't feel the cold!

Unfortunately I do feel it more than most people due to my CFS so what is warm to 'normal people' (and I use that term loosely when applying it to you guys!!!!! :D ) can be quite chilly to me. I like the fact that this heated throw has 2 separate controllers/heated areas, so hubby can have his side off/cooler than me and won't cook. :-D

Mel,

Surely you have got your love to keep you warm?

I like the look of this Mel and may treat myself - thank you for your post. Regarding the size, it states it is 150 x 130 which is roughly 59" x 51".

Didn't find the bit of information about being able to turn on side off though. Where does it say that? At 110W should be fine for the electric supply even on 5A supplies. (I think I have worked this out correctly!)

When were out in the winter we use an Electric under Blanket and a Electric duvet, we warm the bed up with the under blanket ( in a duvet cover) and the Electric duvet together, then switch the under blanket off when we retire leaving the Electric Duvet on its lowest setting if really cold, snug as a bug so to speak.

link for Electric Duvets,  http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=electric+duvet&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=7427691993&ref=pd_sl_8fe8871x1p_b

I think you may be over complicating things a bit Mel. Because you are changing latitudes as well as seasons you will inevitably need a selection of bedding. Duvet, various blankets etc. Used in combination with your van heating, if and as necessary, those should suffice.

The coldest bits will probably be down through France (depending on route), but possibly (depending on weather) down through England. That will be only 4 nights or so in total in February. By March, when you return, it should be somewhat milder. Southern Spain should be warmer even in February, though the odd chilly night can't be ruled out, and from the border down, will depend on the route you take. Your exposure to extremes will be limited in duration and I'd suggest best, and most economically, catered for by using the heater on a low setting at night if necessary. You will use more gas as a consequence, but only as and when needed.

You'll almost certainly want hot water for washing in the mornings/evenings, and just maintaining 12 litres of hot water in a van provides constant low level background heat even with the heating off.

To use electric blankets you will need continuously available electricity, which you will only generally get on a campsite, as on most aires it is time limited whether free or charged. You then have to route via reliably open campsites to be sure of getting the electricity. You will also find that many such supplies are low amperage, so although little else would be consuming when actually in bed, you may put the blanket on before having that last cuppa, and find blanket plus (I assume) electric kettle, trips the supply just when you need it most.

I'd go low tech.

Patricia - 2011-12-31 8:06 AM

I like the look of this Mel and may treat myself - thank you for your post. Regarding the size, it states it is 150 x 130 which is roughly 59" x 51".

Didn't find the bit of information about being able to turn on side off though. Where does it say that? At 110W should be fine for the electric supply even on 5A supplies. (I think I have worked this out correctly!)

Hi Patricia - you are correct ref the sizes, I was reading the bit lower down where it says the 'Product' height/width,length. *-)

The blanket has 2 controllers and that usually means it can have each side switched off independently, when it arrives I'll report back on what it is like.

Hi Brian, no I'm not overcomplicating it my sweet, I just want to be prepared so that I don't have to freeze for 6 weeks if the weather turns or it gets cold overnight!!! :-D I still want it to put on the camper bed to air it when at home anyway. Plus I can also use it in my bed at home too which will be good, as when the heating goes off, it can be quite chilly overnight, for me at least. We used to have one on our home bed but it was an underblanket and couldn't be used with the memory foam mattress topper, so I just had to do without, but I must admit when we had the cold spell not long ago, I often woke in the night from the cold.

The blanket is still a blanket so can be used as such without electric, however, when we do have electric obviously it can be used as intended.

As regards tripping electric on campsites, you should give me more credit than being daft enough to do that - we always turn off appliances etc before using others when there is a large draw on the power ... I have stayed on campsites abroad before and am well aware of the issues ... I well remember the b*llocking a Dutch caravanner got from his fellow countrymen when we were on a site in France and he tripped the site's electric ... :$

Regarding leaving the heating on - this is something we may do, but I don't want to make the van uncomfortable for hubby/dogs who don't feel the cold as I do; our heater is diesel so our gas usage would be unaffected. Obviously if we are without electric, this is an option, as are the 2 hot water bottles I'll have with me too!!! ;-)

I think you are probably struggling to some extent as to why I am trying to be so prepared, but unless you suffer from the cold as I do, you really can't know what it is like - it isn't something you can understand unless you experience it yourself. Try to remember what it felt like when you've had a bad cold or flu and you were really, really chilly and couldn't get warmed up ... that only lasted for a few hours at the very most. Now imagine being like that most of the time and you'll be close to knowing what it is like. If I was another creature, I'd probably be a lizard - needing 'heat' to get/keep me moving, take the heat away and I grind to a halt.

You're right Mel. First, I wasn't aware your needs are so extreme. Second, I was thinking mainly of the extra clutter in a small van, and what else the space could be used for. So, not intended as criticism, just thinking of space. However, I now understand your concern, and hope you stay nice and warm whatever you do. :-)

Anyone bought one of these throws yet?

I followed the link provide by Mel and read the description on the Tesco website:

"Stay warm in bed or on the sofa at home with the HT10 heated throw. Its micro-fleece fabric offers extra snuggly warmth and comfort on those chilly nights, and 9 heat settings allow you to choose a temperature that's comfortable for you. The flexible PTC/NTC heating wire that's used within the throw allows you to both drape it across your bed and wrap it around your shoulders, without any stiffness."

I ordered one and have just collected it from our local store.

The instructions enclosed with it are adamant that it must not be used as an “over blanket”, that it is “not designed for all night use”, and that “it is not intended to be used under or over bedclothes”.

Rather disappointing, as the website description is at odds with the user instructions. Such a shame.

Taking it back tomorrow!

Archived