Virgin French Visitors!!!

Mike-the-red

Hello, My wife and i are taking our 7 year old son and his firend to France in Two weeks, to visit Disneyland Paris, we are in France for 6 days. Not very adventurous i Know, but we all have to start our abroad motorhome experience somewhere. I am aware of the lower Amps on the site we are staying on and have got the relevant adapter, and i know its best to take plenty of gas as theirs is different! I know its compulsory to carry: First Aid Kit, Fire extinguisher, warning triangle, spare bulbs, H/L adjustment, GB plate seatbelts. What is a Camping Card International? and do i need one? If so how do i get one?. What happens to the fridge in the Motorhome on the ferry as i can't see them letting gas being used!! If anyone can advise of anything else i need i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Mike :-D

Hi Don't forget your spare pair of glasses (if you wear them). You will definitely NOT be able to run the fridge on gas on the ferry, you must turn the gas off at the bottle before embarkation - they may even check. The fridge will be fine so long as you turn it off at last minute - make sure it is as full as possible, or pack some newspaper in it to keep the temperature down but don't do this just before you're going to turn it off otherwise you'll up the temparature whilst you do it! When you get off the ferry assuming you're driving then the fridge will be kept cool, otherwise put the gas back on - resist opening it to check on if things are okay for a while though until it has had a change to get the temperature down again. Camping Card International is not compulsory, it is simply a type of identity card that you can purchase which is internationally recognised and saves you having to leave your passport at the campsite - they like to keep something to know who you are and that you're not going to skip out on them - you simply give them the card instead and it also has some insurance benefits with it. If you're in the Caravan Club you can get it through them, can't remember how much but it's not a massive amount. Not sure if the Camping and Caravanning Club do it though. Suggest you get a really good map, there's a new one out by the AA called the France Easy Read which is reportedly at a scale of 1" = 2.8 miles! I haven't personally seen it but we've got a similarly scaled Germany map and it's brilliant, it gives lots of details of things to do, look at etc so is useful for planning where to go to see bits and pieces. Also, remember to leave some time on your return for hitting the supermarkets - "Auchan" is located near Calais, make sure you allow a few hours as time really does fly and you'll kick yourself if you can't take advantage of the savings on wine etc. Regards Mel B

Camping Carnet is £4.50 from Caravan Club. Just ordered mine today, delivery tomorrow ! Good service. I am curious about this LPG swap around. I have two propane cyls from Calor,, with a automatic changeover valve. Whilst I am away, I expect to need a refill, and Calor not available in France (so we are told) I can buy a Camping Gaz cyl there, but what about connecting it to the built in regulator/changover valve ? Can I buy an adaptor to effect such a change ? Would it screw onto the existing hose connections or do you have to bypass the changeover valve ? It's very mysterious, and local caravan dealer is less than helpful for giving advice.

Mike-the-red Hope you have a great trip - just relax you seem to have most things in hand and Mel has covered the main points well. Mel B Do you have any more info on the France Easy Read map? Price, where from, etc. Wingpete Yes you can get an adapter to fit Campingaz. Mine is the new 30 mbar system and I have a small tap that screws into the top of the 407 cylinder but I seem to remember that I had to get the Propane pigtail rather than the Butane one from the cylinder to the bulkhead regulator. regards, david

At this time of year we found that one and a half 6KG Propane (Calor) bottles would do 4 weeks, including an outside gas griddle and traditional Sunday Roast. Space heating is not used. But I have in the last year fitted a bulk gas tank which can be filled at any LPG station in Europe. If you don,t open the fridge during your last drive down to the Ferry then it should still be cold when you get off the Ferry the other end. Its never been a problem for us. Anyway the gas should be turned OFF at the bottle before you board the ferry. Our Camping Carnet is a few years old, naughty but providing the details are the same as the Passport the don,t seem to be that bothered. Its not me being tight its more thinking about it beforehand! The AA and RAC will also do them for their members. RELAX. France (away from the hurley burley of towns and theme parks) is a very laid back country. Try you French language and they will love you for it. Enjoy Clive

David: France Map - it was mentioned on page 200 of the latest MMM mag ... don't tell me you haven't read it yet!!! Anyway, I had a shuftie on the WH Smith website and have come up with the following: There are 2 types to choose from: "2006 AA Easy Read France" atlas (A4, 2.8 miles = an inch, £9.09 normal bound) "2006 AA Big Easy Read France" atlas (A3, 3.0 miles = an inch, £9.09 in spiral bound, £8.39 normal bound). I think you can have them deliverd to the store for free but not sure about to your home address, check the site for exact details - go to: ***.whsmith.co.uk (put the usual 3 'w' in for the website instead of ***) and type in Easy Read France to see them. If you also do a search of the web you'll come up with other internet outlets as well, some of which do free P&P. Regards Mel

Hi Mike-the-red, I think the previous replies have missed the point of the Camping Carnet it is not oly to save leaving your passport but also gives you third party insurance, up to £1 million I think. Not bad cover for £4.50. As Clive says use the Gas inteligently and it will last a long time we have actulay done 14 daysin France plus numerous week ends in the UK on one of the old Squat round cylinders when we used to tug. David

Hi Mike, I'm not sure if it's compulsory or not but I think you may need to take your Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) with you and also your MOT and insurance documents. I think a reflectorised jacket is advisable as well. Have a great time! John.

You most certainly need to take your vehicle registration document and valid insurance certificate plus of cause your driving licence, photostates are not acceptable, High vis jackets are not yet a legal requirement in France. Have a good visit. Chas

I have beeb told by a number of people that you must have a visijacket for every member of the vehicle when travelling on French motorways, if you get out of the vehicle not wearing one you will be fined. Also remember the seatbelt rule. the are cameras at the toll booths and if you set of before putting on your seatbelt the inevitable happesns. The gendarmes are very keen on their on the spot fimes. You can get a camping carnet from anumber of different sources including the camping and caravanning club. I once got one from Green Flag. Ask your insurance company if you dont belong a club. Where are you camping when you go to Eurodisney?

Just to be sure, I've GOOGLEd around using "gilet de securite autoroute" and the position regarding carrying and using reflective jackets/waistcoats on French roads is as follows: 1. There is currently no legal requirement for drivers to wear reflective clothing if they break down or have to stop on French roads, nor is it compulsory for this type of clothing to be carried in the vehicle. 2. In 2005 there were extensive campaigns in France to make people aware of the serious dangers to 'pedestrians' on the autoroutes. Large numbers of reflective jackets were handed out free of charge and drivers were encouraged to keep jackets for themselves and passengers "in the glove-box". Further similar campaigns will take place in 2006. Apparently there are four EU countries at present that have reflective clothing regulations - Austria, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

Archived