folding bikes without breaking the bank

Dr Dave

Happy new year to all.

We are considering getting a couple of folding bikes to give us a bit more room in the garage. Weight not a real issue so steel frame is o/k and i think 20 inch wheels. I have seen some Gateway folders at £99 but have not seen one to sit on it. I am 6 foot so need enough seat height any advice would be welcome together with recommendations. We are not ready for electric bikes yet but give it a couple of years.

Dave

I would't bother.

If you have a garage and can get your proper bikes in you a'nt going to save a lot of room,especially one's with 20'' wheels and the proper bikes are so much better to ride.

I use a full size bike thro the spring/summer/autumn, but because I have to use a rack-on-the-back,in the winter I stick my folder in a small garage that wo'nt take the full size bikes.

Mine I must admit has only 16'' wheels,but it is hard work to ride,unless the path is very smooth you feel every pothole and bump, and as soon as you go down hill you will be fritt to death and have to start braking.

You are a biggish bloke to fit on a folder.

The £99 bikes are not going to fantastic bits of kit, wheel bearings, gears etc wise, so perhaps it might be better to keep the dosh in the wallet.

All the best

HWO

Like you we looked at some cheap folders but the quality was truly horrible. What most put us off was when we saw some on display that had already gone rusty. The seller cheerfully explianed that they were ones he had in stock from the previous season and ours would be factory fresh and fine! Presumably until the end of the season!

It pains me to say it because I'm all for buying British where possible but the best quality/value folders are undoubtedly Dahon, which is what we bought in the end. Don't be tempted by the more expensive models in their range. We have the simple Speed D7. Well made and will probably last us out despite the fact that I ride a fair distance every day.

Bit the bullet, save up a little longer and buy a good one.

I did have a cheap one that one that one of my sons gave me. Quite pleased when we sold it on site to someone for £25. It was horrible and I hated it.

Hi Dave,

I  Bought two  New folding bikes to fit in our Last M/H,s under locker (not big enough to call it a garage) ,they were around £100 mark ,Had to be home assembled and are of a sturdy build, I,m near 6ft tall, and found the bike needed getting use to as the handlebars are closer to the saddle than a conventional bike, we never took them out of the under locker , Wife Prefer,s walking to riding, Now we have changed M/H,s there is nowhere to store them. So bikes are now relegated to the Shed, So all in all not a wise purchase , Best to try them out before committing to purchasing , also IMO they would be fine for short Journey,s but not for a days touring on.

Hi Dave

We have a couple of folding bikes, we bought them about 8 years ago so that we could carry them inside our then motorhome (a Swift Suntor 590RS - traditional twin dinette, side settee, rear kitchen/washroom overcab) as we wanted to put them inside either on the side settee or in the overcab (no bike rack).

When we changed to a Rapido 709F we used to put them under the rear bed but when it went out of warranty (at 2 years old) I put a bike rack on and we then changed to 'normal' sized mountain bikes. Since then we've used the folders on and off but as our next van had a massive garage we found that the normal bikes were fine in there so we stuck with them. However, we now have a Chausson Flash 04 with a rear garage, but it's only about half the size (front to rear) of the Rimor and we carry inflatable canoes and all the gear so find it a bit tight wiith the normal bikes so we've dusted off the folders and will be giving them another try.

We now don't do massive distances on bikes when away we should be fine with the folders - we needed the full sized bikes with the Rimor as it was much longer and we usually had to park further out of town etc and cycle in greater distances. Also as we've not added suspension seatposts they are much better as it has increased the height of the seat and also the distance from the handle bars, which is a concern with some folding bikes.

As has been mentioned though you really should NOT buy a folder without giving it a good check over for quality etc and also give it a good long ride, a quick 100ft peddle isn't enough, have a good ride round for 5 minutes at least to see how you get on. They won't be the same as a normal bike, the riding style tends to be different, but it isn't necessarily any worse. I also would not recommend anything less than 20" wheels ... the extra 4" really does make a difference. :D

The following thread may be useful to you:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25198&posts=16

My wife and I each bought a "bike in a bag" from leisurelakes bikes in Wolverhampton. They cost £199 each and in our opinion are excellent. I am 6'3" and have no problem riding one. If you look at leisurelakesbikes.com you will find my review is the 3rd one there. If you want any further info send me a pm.

We also had looked at and tried folding bikes in Halfords but the "bike in a bag" folded into a more compact size which was essential for us.

Hi Mel and as it turns out Mel and Happy New year to You.

Mel B

We normally carry two mountain bikes in the garage which with the rigid reclining chairs was just a nice tight fit. However we got a spare wheel not wanting to be stood with a shredded tyre and only a can of gunge to throw at it. This is stowed in the same place as yours and now what was nice and tight is jammed in. (got the wheel and tyre with 6mm tread on ebay for £30 its like new) Thanks for the comments i will have a good ride before committing and dont get too sunburnt will you!!

Dave

Hi Dave

I have 2 of these for sale

See >>> http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_237731_langId_-1_categoryId_165577

They are a little over 6 months old. Hardly ridden, 20" wheels, 6 speed, supplied with is and her replacement Gel saddles and LED lights.

We are 2 years ahead of you and have upgraded to electric bikes as my wife has had an op and now finds the electric bike less painful/tiring for her to ride.

Just read the reviews on the website. >>> http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_237731_langId_-1_categoryId_165577#dtab

PM me if interested.

Archived