acsi book and tom tom

kevin hawkins

happy new year everyone my acsi book locations are marked up in degrees but my tom tom is by post code could any of our fellow motorhomers who knows what they are doing please explain how you get degrees in to the dam thing so i dont keep getting lost and shouting at it

kind regards

kevin :-|

kevin hawkins - 2012-01-01 5:08 PM

happy new year everyone my acsi book locations are marked up in degrees but my tom tom is by post code could any of our fellow motorhomers who knows what they are doing please explain how you get degrees in to the dam thing so i dont keep getting lost and shouting at it

kind regards

Kevin

Why bother when you can download POI's from here http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/ for ACSI and Camping Cheques plus many more. You load them as instructed and then, when looking for a nearby town, use the Tom Tom facility of finding a POI near destination and your campsite will be there.

David

Hi kevin

Dont know which Tom Tom you have, ours is a GO 940 live. To navigate to a GPS location first of all touch the navigate to icon; the next screen shows a selection including Recent destination, address Point of interest etc. Dont touch any of them but touch the right pointing arrrow This brings you to another screen which shows, amongst other things, a blue globe with latitude longditude underneath it. Touch this icon and you will see a window to enter the latitude : North or South followed by degrees, minutes & seconds. When you have entered the latitude coordinates touch ok and you get longditude- then just repeat the process. we find the GPS co ordinates much better than an address or postcode, particularly in Europe.

Hope this helps

Bob

Guest 1footinthegrave
Klyne - 2012-01-01 7:13 PM

kevin hawkins - 2012-01-01 5:08 PM

kind regards

Kevin

Why bother when you can download POI's from here http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/ for ACSI and Camping Cheques plus many more. You load them as instructed and then, when looking for a nearby town, use the Tom Tom facility of finding a POI near destination and your campsite will be there.

David

Fabulous link David, many thanks. ;-)

kevin hawkins - 2012-01-02 8:29 PM

thank you bob and klyne i have downloaded the camp sites as recommended by kiyne and tried bobs instructions and i can now work the tom tom in long and lat thats great thank you very much

kind regards

kevin ;-)

The idea of downloading the POI file is that the lat/long of each site is contained inside that entry on the TomTom.

Now you have them loaded, when you are browsing the map (say when planning a destination) you should be able to see the icon depicting the sites within the area of the screen.

To navigate to one of these you just need to touch one and Tom knows the exaclt location - no typing required.

Additioally, the each site POI entry (in addition to the lat/lon coordinates) also contains the phone number of the site and thepage no in the ACSI book to help with bookings and decisions re the site.

...........it is, indeed, straightforward Brian.

However, the idea of the POI file is to remove the need for (painfully) transcribing coordinates.

Users need to be very careful when using this function unless the check the TomTom planned route prior to take off.

Using East instead of West can result in being many miles out on your route................so check!!!

As I said previously, with the ACSI icons visible on the screen it's simple to see the choice of site in the area you are visiting (along with phone, page no etc).

Simply tap the chosen ACSI icon and Tom will take you there without typing or possible error (distance) scenarios.

Once the OP has mastered the POI technique, he can then confidently use other personally interesting POIs to enhance his motorhoming experience.

Agreed. Archie's downloads solve the problem of capturing the bulk POI information, but it seemed the OP also wanted to know how to enter single lat and long co-ords, possibly to create his own POIs.

I would add one warning. Neither Archies nor ACSI co-ordinates for campsites are fault free.

Although ACSI have cleaned up a lot of theirs, there are still some that give co-ordinates for a pitch inside a campsite, and not to the site entrance. This can result in navigational errors where the actual pitch location was nearer a different road than that in which the entrance lies. I can remember one or two long detours on that ground!

Archies general campsites lists suffer from the same problem, but also (for obvious reasons) to the lists being incremental compilations, and so prone to include sites that have shut - or that no sane individual would knowingly enter!

In both cases it would be wise to have another horse parked out the back, just in case! :-)

Archived