Spanish GAS bottle where can i find one?can i get one??

plumbersvan

8-) Spain is very regulated :-S

To get to Portugal and Gibraltar Spain has to be crossed

Will a gas supplier sell me a gas bottle?I dont live there nor do i know anyone that dose

If anyone knows the price of the gas (propane 13kgs) and the cost of a bottle it would be helpful :-)

8-) Very good value 8-) France went from 17,50 e to 23,50e and Mr sarkosy has added ONLY 10% on the 1st Jan for EU financial union 8-) :-S

The thing is i dont have a spanish gas bottle *-)

Will repsol simply provide me with one for my stay *-)

Or must i fill in a spanish form with name address & then what cost for the bottle (?)

I will arrive with Cube which if heating lasts a week :-S then it freezes until more gas can be found :-(

Fine with the gas price but i need a bottle 8-)

Alf

Guest Tracker

Alfiona - can I ask you to stop using those bloody emoticons please as they just make the message even harder to follow!

Thanks

My understanding is that if you try to purchase a gas bottle directly from say Repsol they will need a name and address for Spain. If they can see its for a m/home they should ask for a Spanish gas cerificate for the vehicle. You could, if you have proof os a Sapnsh address say that its for a BBQ.

However if like most people you have limited Spanish, the easier place to buy a gas bottle is at a flea market, there are loads of these around the coastal strip. Once you have bought a bottle (usually empty) you can simply take this to a filling station and exchange it for a full one. The cost the last time I bought one was 12E for the bottle and I think about 15E for the refill.

The next problem you may have is the regulator, but this can also be solved by a visit to an ironmongers, a bottle top regulator was about 7.5E. If you have a bulk head fixed regulator you will need a different "regulator" ie one that acts simply as a gas tap, it looks exactly the same as the regulator. If you have an external BBQ point you can with a long enough length of hose feed the gas from the bottle back into the van appliances. Simples.

:-S Im not to sure there will be hundreds of flee mkts during mid winter

Ill give an address hoping they don't know the house if that dosnt work its camping gas & a blanket

Vans are rather miserable when the heatings off :'(

The regulator?has to be changed?are they not standard fittings?

In Italy i bought a replacement bottle which i could return as i left,they put my French bottle in their store *-)

The Italian bottle has the same thread as the French one>

Fiona

The Spanish Repsol bottles do not have a thread on the bottle connection - It has a black plastic ring which you lift up to release it from the bottle and lift again whilst pushing firmly down on the regulator / tap then release the ring to catch on to the top of the bottle.

I would suggest that you get Repsol in Spain if you are going to Portugal after as the fittings are the same for Portuguese Repsol bottles - Note - in Portugal there are several suppliers and all have different regulator fittings so stick to Repsol if poss.

You will also see that Spanish / Portuguese Repsol bottles are all orange coloured - that is for butane which is the one most readily available. If you are anticipating very cold weather (say up in the Pyrenees) you may want propane which has a much lower "freezing" point - again it is an orange bottle but will have a black stripe running around the middle - unlike the UK it uses the same reg /tap.

When you look for a tap or regulator (just a tap if you already have a wall fixed reg) - the tap has a thread on the 'van side of the fitting whereas the reg has a spigot to which you can attach a hose with a jubilee clip. If it is a tap then remember that this has gas coming out at high pressure and you will need a high pressure hose adaptor for your own regulator to the Spanish tap.

Hi Plumbersvan,

Bottles are often sold in boot sale type markets around big towns. They are usually only a few euros.

Many homes use bottled gas and I found that the cheapest refills were from the delivery roundsmen found in most towns. On exchange day the roads were lined with empty gas bottles.

The French bottles look very similar, but they are not exchangeable with Spanish ones.

I have now changed to gaslow and have a bottle that I no longer use, if you are in the Essex area and still need a bottle please contact me, I may even have the regulator in the garage.

Rodger.

plumbersvan - 2012-01-02 6:49 PM

:-S Im not to sure there will be hundreds of flee mkts during mid winter

Ill give an address hoping they don't know the house if that dosnt work its camping gas & a blanket

Vans are rather miserable when the heatings off :'(

The regulator?has to be changed?are they not standard fittings?

In Italy i bought a replacement bottle which i could return as i left,they put my French bottle in their store *-)

The Italian bottle has the same thread as the French one>

Fiona

There may not be many flee markets, but there sure as hell are lots of flea markets. It may be mid-winter, but life in Spain goes on, please don't forget Spain runs on bottled gas, its simply everywhere. I've bought both of my Spanish and Portugese bottles in the winter, no problem.

Even though it is more expensive to use than larger cylinders, you can exchange camping gas cylinders in most Ferreterias (ironmongers) in Spain.

If you come to somewhere like Benidorm you can look on campsite noticeboards for cylinders for sale for maybe 10€. The wagon which delivers to the site where I am will supply a new Cepsa cylinder for 30€. When they were first introduced we got ours for free, but sadly not now.

I realise this is of little use to Alf now..

..but is this any good for anyone..?(..although I'm not even sure it's the correct type if I'm honest.. :$ )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/repsol-k6-portable-calor-gas-bottle-regulator-blue-orange-/280796531559?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4160c70b67

..I don't know if it's a "bargain" or not (..seeing as it's empty)but at least having it with you would save having to faff about trying to find one... ;-)

plumbersvan - 2012-01-02 9:23 PM

Yes often found in Gidea park between Brentwood and Romford i live in London but have family out there.I know essex well

Sadly in already in Europe for the start of my winter travels without spanish adapter

It sounds very like the French "clip"

I believe your motorhome's gas system uses a regulator that attaches to the gas bottle. If that's the case, then you'll need the type of adapter shown here

http://caracamp.co.uk/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=id38273

This 'jumbo' adapter fits on to the Spanish/Portugese gas bottle, but it's NOT a regulator, so you'll also need an appropriate (butane or propane pressure) regulator to screw on to the adapter's threaded outlet.

The best gas bottles in Spain are the alloy (silver) ones.

They use the same regulator as the orange repsol bottles but are lighter to carry.

Still as available as the orange ones in all flea markets and garages.

The only problem with the alloy bottles is that they are butane and I find that on a cold morning my Truma Combi and/or regulator are failing owing to reduced pressure. I taped up the regulator button but the Combi defaults to red sometimes.

There are steel propane ones available but not from filling stations, only off the wagons.

plumbersvan - 2012-01-03 11:37 PM

For my cube i have a clip without regulator direct gas to my bulkhead fixed regulator via the pigtail

Gas is almost as complicated at electricity connectors 8-)

OK, as you've got a bulkhead-mounted regulator and a "Clip Direct" adapter to attach the pigtail to your "Le Cube" bottle, there's a fair chance that (in order to connect to a Spanish/Portugese gas bottle) you should just need to replace the 'clip' adapter with the 'jumbo' type of adapter I mentioned earlier.

I've some concern about your present regulator. Assuming that you've still got your 1984 Eriba-Car 580, it's likely that this would have started life with EITHER a butane-suitable (28mbar) regulator OR a propane-suitable (37mbar) regulator. There's the possibility that the original regulator may have been replaced at some stage with a 30mbar regulator able to handle butane or propane, even though this replacement exercise is generally frowned on.

Anyway, you need to make sure that, whatever regulator you've got, it matches the type of gas you are using.

1: If it's a 28mbar regulator you need to stick to butane.

2: If it's a 38mbar regulator you should stick to propane.

3: If it's a 30mbar regulator, then it's likely that the regulator is technically unsuitable for your motorhome, as it probably won't match the motorhome's gas appliances correctly. However, as long as you haven't noticed anything odd happening when you've been using the gas appliances, then you wil have the option of using either butane or propane.

Syd - 2012-01-04 9:36 AM

The best gas bottles in Spain are the alloy (silver) ones.

They use the same regulator as the orange repsol bottles but are lighter to carry.

Still as available as the orange ones in all flea markets and garages.

I disagree, when I was last in Spain, the "silver" aluminium cylinders were only Cepsa, not as widely available

as Repsol. However if lightweight is a requirement then Repsol do a variety of plastic cylinders,

branded "K6" or "K11" etc. These are fatter cylinders than the metal ones.

Steel Repsol cylinders are widely available at flea markets etc and as cheap as chips. Which is best???

you pay your money and take your chance.

I've been trying to find the dimensions of the Repsol bottles without success.

I have a small (2x6kg) locker and will be going to spain in the spring. I may go for one Gaslow (or similar) refillable, which will suffice (with adaptors) for UK and most of europe, along with a local bottle/Jumbo adaptor for spain.

As I cant get 2 large bottles in the locker (bad design) I could have one 11kg refillable and then remove it to the boot locker and replace with Repsol when in Spain - just unsure of Repsol bottle sizes.

Thanks for any assistance.

Archived